Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Buying v6

5K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  CycloneS197 
#1 ·
Will I be happy with the 2014 v6 or will I get bored I driven a gt fox and a 2001 v6 but I want something new I found this deal but want to know how you like them

Sent from my LGLS992 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#5 ·
Plenty of people are happy with the v6 power levels. I came from a 370z so the power levels are similar. Only way to tell is to test drive one. I can tell you in day to day driving I rarely floor it or take it to redline because the power is sufficient before I get to that point.

But if you need more power on the street, race the care, want a GT, or what to say you have the highest trim engine offered in the car go for the GT.

I would test drive both and make your decision. If there is any doubt after the test drives then I would go for the GT because I've seen a lot of people on the fence buy a v6 and then 3-4 months latter take a hit and upgrade to a GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#6 ·
Lot of it depends on how you plan on driving it .If you want a nice looking car with a decent amount of power as the 3.7 has and feel you can be happy with it then go for it for they are a very nice car to own and mod but if in the back of your mind your thinking about a 5.0 then i would buy the gt if you can afford it .I had a 2012 v6 for couple of years really enjoyed it but i always wanted a v8 so traded in the 3.7 for a 2012 5.0 and wish i would of got the v8 in the first place ...But either way that 3.7 is a great car to own.

#7 ·
I have a 14' 3.7 conv. I really enjoy the car and it does have good power. I do find myself wanting more. I've been considering an 08' GT500. My friend has one and there's just something about that amount of power and the sound of the SC. My problem is this is my daily driver and I know how bad the 6 is in the city (13.1 mpg). I can't imagine how bad the 500 would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#12 ·
You'll be filling up all the time with a GT500. I had to pay the gas guzzler tax when I bought my Roush as it averaged less than 15 city/hwy. Perhaps the GT500 would be a little better since it's a 6 speed. The motor however is bigger.

#8 ·
Test drive one but it will more than likely have the 2.73 rear end gear ratio that was for mpg :(

#9 ·
I should mention I have a 12 V6 with MT 3.31 and with suspension mods it's a hoot. 3rd gear ios a blast and while it does not have great feel/feedback it's fun on two lane blacktop. I get 22-24 mpg and enjoy it. Whatever you get after a while most want more power/handling but the V6 is a performance bargin

#13 ·
If you're only getting 13mpg in the 3.7 in the city, you'll probably be lucky to get 10mpg with the 08.

#14 ·
I love my 11 V6 and honestly there is a lot you can still do to them. Mine sounds mean lol ( I'm kinda bias though lol) Don't try to make it sound like something its not, let the sound ring true. There are plenty of v6s out there that will spank any v8 you through at them.

#15 ·
better watch out, i got told on the road today by some little ricer prick that i should've "gotten the v8!"

lol. was funny.

#17 ·
here's t he story, copied from a reddit post i made:
so some ******y guy in a little scion today was driving like an ***, then he cuts me off and we proceed to stop at a light..when the light goes green, he tries to act tough by burning out in front of me. naturally, i laugh because if he's going through this much effort, he must want my attention. so eventually after watching him drive like an ******* for a mile, i pull up slowly next to him while staring. his lane starts moving and he starts talkin smack once he's ahead of me. he said, and I quote, "you should've gotten the V8!!" naturally again, I laughed and said "oh yeah? thanks for the advice!" now, funny thing was that when he first burned out, he didn't notice the cop three cars ahead of him. The cop was now only 2 cars ahead of him, so while he was talking smack from his either 4 banger scion or maybe a 6 (which, idk why he's telling me to buy the V8 when he didn't even have one....) I'm screaming at him "SPIN IT! CMON, SPIN IT AGAIN!" clearly egging him on to burnout so the cop would get him. unfortunately he just kept telling me to meet him on the parkway, as if I'm dumb enough to race on the parkway full of state troopers that would easily give enough points to revoke my license....so sadly, he didn't burnout, so the cop didn't get him. but what an *** lol. like, how much of a tool do you have to be to talk **** when someone isn't even egging you on or trying to race? i was literally driving home from work lol. it's funny, i see other Mustang guys all the time around here, and everyone waves, everyones happy, we give thumbs up...and then I see the GT guys, and guess what? same thing! they wave, thumbs up, they give me a nice loud *** rev (which always sounds awesome, and I don't rev my little 3.7 with Borla Touring because it just doesn't sound as cool lol) but they don't hate like this little ricer fast n furious wannabe kid. just astounding the difference in personalities you find between a car like the Mustang and some little tuner prick. had to vent :D (oh and btw, I bet I totally could've taken him, especially with my new MPT performance tune.......hahah)

#19 ·
I have had my 14 auto for over 2 years now and have had no regrets (and I'm a speed freak). Near perfect balance of power and economy. Cheap full coverage insurance as well.

Just be prepared to buy a tune, it is a totally different car once you ditch the slushy factory tune.

#20 ·
agreed. I only have a performance 87 from mpt but it's so much quicker than stock.

#22 ·
My 2012 V6 is great, It sounds good with Magnaflow streets and it runs and handles perfect for my kinds of driving. I put on the AirAid CAI and An aluminum drive shaft. I only use 87 octane gas and get 24 to 26 MPG around town and 31MPG over all on the highway.
You won't have the prestige of a GT with a V8 but you will have a great car with a truly great engine.
It depends on what you want and not what other people have.
I, Personally would not even think of trading my V6 Mustang for a V8, ( I like my car that much)
Ronnie

#23 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
New to the site. Just bought a Black 2014 v6 Premium. Super clean 19k miles, no dents or scratches. Since I got pre-owned there is a little money left over to improve driveability. So the wife said "just get it all now". I'm chomping at the bit to get started and need some input. After pouring over the threads my list is:

SC4 Tuner + MPT tunes
C&L Intake - will it help?
Magnaflow mufflers (I like the sound, don't want it too loud)
Trunk Carpet - this looks way cool
SR tower brace
I have the 2.73 gears but I'm going to wait, since it's still under warranty for a few months.

Is this a good list? Sorry if I should have started a new thread.

#24 ·
Hound,

if you need your wtty don't tune it. Ford can tell if it's ever been tuned (even after returning to stock) however tune and gears are two great performance mods. the 2.73's stink I have 3.31 and If i was willing I'd go to 3.73 but I don't do much hwy. Intakes are a sound/bling mod. Fine if you know there is no performance gains (I bought an Airaid used for sound alone)

Welcome to Mevo and treat your wife nice she sounds good!

Mud

#25 ·
Ford can detect if you've tuned even after you didn't? that sucks. I was under the impression returning to stock was fine. oh well lol

#27 ·
They won't even check 99% of the time but that 1% is if you seriously hurt the motor and it is worth fords time to see if you caused the issue or have given them an easy out.

#28 ·
Hi Surf Hound,
Welcome to the forum.
The best mod I did was an aluminum driveshaft.
I have the axle exchange one and what it did for me was (without a tune) made my car feel a little snappier and with the 2.73 rear it was a blessing.
All of the clunking and vibration I had is 100% gone.
Of course my 2012 had the 40 pound two piece and you probably have the lighter one in your 2014 but the aluminum one will still probably be lighter then what you have.
You can see my mods on the bottom of this post.
Congratulations on your new to you Mustang.
Ronnie

#30 ·
My 2 cents (and there is no right answer, of course)...

I would buy just the SCT tuner and save $100. I have found that the box tuning options makes a HUGE difference. You can choose from 87, 91, or 93 octane. All 3 vastly improve the shifting in the automatic and you can really feel a power difference in the 91 and 93. You can also select a cold air intake, speed cap (or none), redline RPM, idle RPM. I bought a drop-in high flow filter and set my SCT tune to "cold air intake", which also saves you money over buying what is essentially the same thing as your Mustang already has. I set my redline to 8K (these engines can handle far above that, and I still rarely see my RPM glow red). Bottom line, I am VERY happy with just the SCT tune alone.

That of course is the biggest and best mod, but after that I would get some nice axle back exhaust to improve the pathetically quiet factory mufflers. An x-pipe is cheap and smooths out your flow a little. I have lower control arms coming this week and I hope it firms up my back end.

Oh, and I use Royal Purple in everyplace I can. Again, personal preference.

Best of luck to you and enjoy babying your new Pony!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.