Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Possible transmission issue please help!

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Hawkstang 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 V6 automatic that I bought used last summer with about 12k miles on it. Nothing major has gone wrong with it but the shifting is very weird. Shifting out of park to drive or to reverse the car jerks pretty hard and this does not happen all the time seems to be random. (which to me seems to point to the transmission) Another thing that is pretty constant and I am able to reproduce on demand is at very low throttle going from 1st to 2nd it seems to down shift like it will be in 1st hit 2nd and go back down a gear the car shifts very hard every other shift is smooth as butter (like from 2nd to 3rd etc) and its only when I accelerate lightly like in a parking lot or something. If i give it enough gas to go past 2nd it doesn't happen or if I do not give it enough gas to get to 2nd and just let it coast it does not happen. I am very concerned I feel as if the transmission is slipping or something and slowly but surely being damaged more and more as it happens again and again. Another odd thing is intermittently when being stopped and then trying to go again the cars acceleration is delayed example, press gas, car revs then jerks and takes off. (Almost like the transmission is not engaged like its in neutral and then boom its in drive jerks and takes off.) But if I give it a lot of gas it just goes instantly. These computerized cars are so much different then the old mechanical cars. I've read online that the delay is most likely because its going through the computer and its electrical and not "drive by wire" like the old throttles so its not always instant. I have also read that having the ecu flashed by the dealership may help the shifting or getting an aftermarket tune may help but doing the aftermarket tune may remove the speed limiter and this model has a problem when you do that if you max out the rpms your drive shaft blows up because its a two piece and has a weak point at high oscillation. (there are videos) So if anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated besides the obvious to have it checked out by the dealership. I have looked online a lot and not found much info on a sure fix or other people having the same exact problem I describe. Also some have mentioned that making the car relearn the shift points may help it shift better. Another side note sometimes when coming to a stop there is an audible noise like a clang no idea what that is another odd unknown when coming to a stop then to park putting the gear from drive to park the car rumbles (like physically shakes not a lot but I can feel it) mainly only if I do it before I take my foot of the break, if I keep the break pressed and shift from drive to park it does not seem to happen, very odd no idea what that is either. Going forward I will change the transmission fluid and filter check for metal shavings to see if its been damaged, force it to relearn the shift points by disconnecting battery and if that does not help probably take it to the dealership have them flash the ecu or whatever they do but I really do not want to because $$$$. I hope if anyone else has this issue some of my information in this post will help and please any advice will help! I will keep updated as time goes on. Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't help you but there are several 'shift solenoids' on our automatics. I don't know how to test them :(. Change the fluid, it 'might' be low. Good luck and keep us posted on what fixes your transmission :)

Reactions: Renownedd
#3 ·
I would google fuse 47 reset. you can also disconnect the battery to reset shifting parameters....try that 1st. I believe a dealer can read what tune is on the car....if it's an aftermarket one pay the $ to get it flashed back to stock as long as there are no moods that would prohibit that (ie cat delete). Don't worry about drive shaft unless you track it.

#5 · (Edited)
My solenoid went out in my transmission the drive solenoid.... my car only did it when you moved it.... so my car can sit for 5 seconds with it being off then turn it back on go from, reverse to drive, park to drive, neutral to drive. All while I've never moved. And it acts fine, I move less then a inch and redo the steps car jerks very hard going in drive. Give that a try. I'll tell you this it's about 1k bill if you take it to a shop, with a new filter new fluid and a new solenoid. Hope you have a warranty.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#6 ·
I do not have a warranty unfortunately but I did find a TSB 11-11-11 which describes my issue almost exactly and says you need to replace 3 or 4 shift solenoids... I will call dealership when it gets warmer for a quote. I am pretty sure that is the fix. Right now my cars in storage for the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.