Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How much for a retro look?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  GrabberMeBlue 
#1 ·
Hi guys, difficult to find all features I am looking for in the same car. So, the alternative is to buy a 2011 V6 (yes I want the cyclone) and to complete it to give a retro look. So, What are the different elements of a retro look? and how much are they? new or second hand. Now it is going to be challenging to describe all these elements with my two words of English ah ah ah! thanks for your support!
- Rims, with broad spokes, like the Bullit model; probably chrome;
- Side Louvers: just indispensable; same colour than the vehicle;
- Rear louver: same colour too;
- Front grid: with the silver line of course; I can't think about a Mustang without the silver line :)
Ah it should also be a manual... and It is not a detail... I am not sure about the ratio, but there are plenty of automatic on the market. quite difficult to find a manual... I am from Europe, so manual is the rule. But you may convince me that automatic mustang cars are good...
Best
JM

#3 ·
Prices are available on sites like American muscle car, at least for new stuff. The question #1 is about the different features for a retro look. The question #2 is about the possibility to buy second hand stuff (security). All in all the last question is how much it is going to cost me. Maybe such a transformation is too much, and I should look for a car already having these elements. At least the most expensive.

#5 · (Edited)
Retro look

I too am a fan of the retro look on the newer mustangs. I put the side and rear louvers on my 14 Shelby. The cost was surprisingly low and I love the result. I do recommend that you go with the aluminium rears as opposed to the plastic as they are far more authentic and the cost difference is insignificant. American Muscle does not carry the aluminium so you will need to look elsewhere AM does carry the side louvers and you can and should order them pre-painted.
Hopefully you can access my photo album for a look see.

#6 ·
You didn't state what era you are interested in retroing. Do image searches for cars in the era you want to emulate. Some wheel manf make retro style wheels, ebay sellers may state the year of the wheels they're selling. I use to have a set of '60s rallys, but my daughter's family through them in a dumpster thinking they had no value.

#7 ·
for the retro look don't go any bigger than 17" on the wheels, SN95 Bullit alloys have a little bit more dish than the S197 wheels, the big old fat high profile 235/55-17s look more retro too than lower profile on larger rims, you can always tart them up with a white lettering pen too ;)

#8 ·
for the retro look don't go any bigger than 17" on the wheels, SN95 Bullit alloys have a little bit more dish than the S197 wheels, the big old fat high profile 235/55-17s look more retro too than lower profile on larger rims, you can always tart them up with a white lettering pen too ;)

#9 ·
Love the white letters. What do you think of the pen? Always read they turn brown and don't last long. Any closeups of the tires? What pen did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.