Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Key won't open door?

22K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cheval 
#1 ·
While out shopping my key battery died. Tried turning the key in the key hole and nope. Key didn't open the door. Luckily cvs across the street and open. New battery. Drove home. Tried the spare key and got the same thing. Never bothered with opening the old fashioned way. Is the key hole jammed? I've read that graphite works with this or does the key not unlock the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
when i first got mine, i tried my key and it unlocked it, so you may have an issue there.

#3 ·
Something is wrong with your car then

#4 ·
Locksmiths will tell you to never use graphite. They say to use Houdini spray. I bought a can and it works great. The locksmith said it has even opened up locks that appeared to be completely frozen. Pricey, but worth it. A can will last a very long time.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

#7 ·
Top two possibilities depending on the age:

1) As everyone else has said, use some kind of door lock lubricant in the keyhole.

2) If you always use the fob and never open the door mechanically, the key ridges may be worn down. Over the years, the ridges of the key wear along with the ignition keyhole, but if you try to open the door it will not work. This happened with my X-Runner. I got a key (non-transponder) from the dealer. They can look it up by the VIN. 7$.

#8 ·
As you've probably figured from the posted replies, you can use a non-electronic key to open the door. I had one made at the local key shop and keep it in my wallet in case I lock the key in (which l've done). My wife's older, nondescript little Nissan won't let her lock the key in the car or trunk (ever heard of that, Ford?). Obviously, you need the programmed key to turn on t he ignition. However, your other respondents to this issue have some good ideas - check them out, and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.