Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2.73 to what

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  somedopebeats 
#1 ·
As the title reads. Cars manual, exhaust drones slightly between 2500-2700 rpm. What would be my best choice? 3.31 - 3.55 - or 3.73s?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
I won't be doing gears until 2019, but when I do, I'm planning on 3.55. 2012 3.7 auto.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

#8 ·
We need 'action' on the Forum. Just a few years ago this Forum was adding a 'whole page' of questions and comments 'everyday' :) Now, 'maybe' 15 questions or comments a week :(

#10 ·
This may not be the place for this discussion, but i feel its relevant.

That's kind of the point in my opinion? The platform is 7 years old at this point, so the forum should serve as more of a knowledge base than a discussion board. I say that because, "what gear should i get" has been discussed for the past 7 years... It drives me nuts that people still ask this question (among other basics). I have a lot more i'd like to say on the matter, but its not my place. Carry on.

#13 ·
I would not base any performance enhancer or modification on where your "drone" happens. That's when you have to decide to go with a quieter exhaust or add resonators :).

How do you drive your Mustang? 50+ miles to work a day, mostly on the freeway? Worried about MPG's?
If you pick 3.31's, you'll still have good MPG's and not have to buy a 'Tuner' because your local Ford dealer can do a 'flash' to make your speedometer right for around $100. I ordered my Mustang with 3.31's and felt they weren't enough gear. I went with 3.73's and they are perfect for me, but I have an automatic.

You are the only one who can decide which gear ratio to go with. :)

#21 ·
I would not base any performance enhancer or modification on where your "drone" happens. That's when you have to decide to go with a quieter exhaust or add resonators :).

How do you drive your Mustang? 50+ miles to work a day, mostly on the freeway? Worried about MPG's?

If you pick 3.31's, you'll still have good MPG's and not have to buy a 'Tuner' because your local Ford dealer can do a 'flash' to make your speedometer right for around $100. I ordered my Mustang with 3.31's and felt they weren't enough gear. I went with 3.73's and they are perfect for me, but I have an automatic.

You are the only one who can decide which gear ratio to go with. :)

I considered the 3.31s cuz i wont need a tuner. Hmm 60+ miles, Im up in the land of hockey and maple syrup eh so its kms but got a 120km round trip to work and i drive it like i stole it. Not worried about gas mileage either or i would bought a prius haha leanin towards the 3.73s

#17 ·
Hi,

I have 2.73's and hate them. Planning to go to 3.55 as I do a fair amount of highway driving. I have heard that 3.55's are as high as you want to go if you want to super or turbo charge it.

Here is a nice calculator to figure out your RPMS on the highway. My 273s result in about 1850 rpm AT 75. 3.55's will bring it up to around 2200 rpm on the highway. Drive fast and take chances.

Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Calculators & Decoders: RPM Calculator

#20 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, i know gear questions are kind of redundant at this point since theres a million threads. Figured my own would just be easier and more specific for me.
Anyways, if i jump to 3.73s should i worry about my stock driveshaft? Didnt plan to switch to a 1 piece just yet

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#23 · (Edited)
Unless you plan on tracking your car there is no need to. Its more of a want than a need. I've been running 3.73s for 4 years now and have hit 160kms/h a few times with the stock 2 piece.
If or when the op Procharge's or starts tracking their car will be the time to upgrade to a one piece, until then the stock one is fine.

LG G4

#25 ·
I have a 14 V6 with *manual* and the gears are too tall. I did calculations and came up with two options:

- Maximum fuel efficiency is actually not with the 2.73 gears due to how it lugs the engine. I get maximum economy in 6th at 72-73mph. Maximum fuel economy was calculated out to a 3.06 ratio, so 3.03 gears actually would be the best match for hypermilling at 60-65mph. Not that I know of anyone who has done that yet. Just added it for theoretical purposes.

- Best performance for a daily driver/fixing the shifting points is a 3.31. Being able to climb up small hills while still being in 6th is nice. Ford made this standard on the performance package, so they kind of know what they were doing. Swapping from 2.73 to 3.31 is literally the difference between the old 300hp V8 and the newer 300hp V6 - you'll gain a fair amount of speed and responsiveness for not a lot of money.

The general rule is 3.31 for manual and 3.73 for automatic if swapping out the rear gears,

#27 ·
If you're talking about racing, sure. 3.73s are great. But for a daily driver, you want to get *just* enough gear to not kill your mpg. 3.31s are a nice sweet spot for that combination.

Then again, with manual, gears are a bit moot except for 0-60 and highway crusing as you can always just drop down a gear since the car has such a wide rpm range.

#29 ·
That was also a worry of mine, the stock driveshaft. Will upgrade eventually but not high on the list, should i really be worried? Everyones seen the video on youtube of buddy blowing up his ds. So what difference would 3.73s make to my driveshaft rotation km/h or mph wise? I heard the 2-piece is good up til 220 kmh would a gear change lower that? the main reason why i wanna swap gears is to make me feel better about not having the coyote. Love my car and the 3.7 motor i knowingly ordered it with. Have had chances to swap to a 5.0 and it has crossed my mind many times (who doesnt). But when it comes down to it im so satisfied with my car, even with these lumpy gears it still impresses me everytime i drive it and its been 4 years this summer. Its been good to me and i guess i feel it deserves that extra little oomph. Plus i hate downshifting up hills lol stay in 6th and speed or downshift and upshift shortly after fml. Still beats havin an automatic anyday tho :p

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

-stang tax.

*forced to take her out of storage early. Dont judge me

#32 ·
Beauty. Toronto outskirts here, roads are mostly dry and free of snow but saltier than the atlantic. 80 year old wrote off my winter beater a few weeks ago so i had no choice after insurance took my rental back. Feel like im 16 again borrowing my dads spare car when i can lol. 2000 saturn saves the day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.