Mustang Evolution Forum banner

To supercharge or not?

3K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  jek57 
#1 ·
American Muscle: Pro Charger $5,823.59
Local Ford dealer Install: $2,500.00
So, $8,323.59 to go from 305hp to 475hp when I'm not going to race it. And yeah, cheaper to buy a v8, but my stang has sentimental value and I will never sell her. I also emailed a local speed shop for their quote, but its been over 3 days and no quote from them. So, I'm really on the fence, is it worth it for a 2014 cruiser during the summer on the weekends? How many peeps here have done it? Thoughts?

#2 ·
If you have the money and plan to keep the car go for it. A few things to consider.

1. With a large mod this this don't expect to get your money back if you sell the car. If you ever sell it will probable take longer and have to fine the right buyer. And with the prices of coyotes dropping most people would rather go that route then a heavily modded 6.
2. Don't forget to account for other costs. 1 piece drive shaft, suspension if you want to hook, tires/ rims, and a tune as I doubt ford is including that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
Yeah, I thought that 2,500 was rediculous

Yeah, the local Ford Shelby mod shop quoted me that price, I just think they don't like me anymore and basically couldn't be bothered, so that was probably the "make me go away price" which is sad because I had them do quite a few mods for me previously, but oh well... And that's why I asked a local speed shop, but I usually have to hound them waiting for a response, so I'm thinking of just leaving it as is and enjoy it.

As for prices of engines going down, I've thought about putting a v8 crate engine in there, but that's not cheap either is it? Then I would need to change the transmission, the wiring harness, and who knows what else...I'm not sure I would wanna know the estimate for an engine swap or how difficult it would be.

#7 ·
It's not that hard to install it. You should be able to get it done for 1200.00 easy if you don't want to tackle it yourself. You will just need a reliable tune if it doesn't come with one. My opinion would be if you plan on keeping the car for a few years then go for it you won't regret it they are awesome.

#8 ·
I've been procharged for 1.5 years and no problems yet. Currently have my car listed as I may run into problems passing California smog laws as the piece is not certified here in Cali. Making 410 rwhp and about 320 torque. Fun car, but looking to get 17 gt as I fell in love w it in the three test drives I've done.

410 rwhp 320 ft-lbs

#11 ·
Get an 18...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#9 ·
Sell yours and buy a GT. Do you plan on keeping the car your entire life? I mean I understand sentimental value... sort of... but... guarantee its sold in 4 or 5 years even if you don't supercharge it.

#15 ·
I like homemade gravy on instant turkey. ?

I want a procharger bad, but decided my sixxer is fast enough with my light mods and my plan is to enjoy it until my daughter is 16 so I can pass it on to her. By then the 2018 GT will be in my price range and we can have father/daughter ponies. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#16 ·
Take it from someone who has already modded a V6 and then got a GT, just get a GT.

I had full suspension, mickey thompsons, headers, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.73s, brembos, tune, intake, throttle body, as well as other stuff done on my 2014 V6. Was it quick compared to your standard car? Sure. But was it Fast? No way. Did it feel capable? Hardly.

With my 2016 GT, I haven't really modded it and it feels 100% more capable then the V6. If I need to zip past someone on the highway, not a problem. With the V6, it kinda struggled to pull the car along. Not sure how a Procharged V6 will act, but I am sure down the line it may just make more sense to get the GT.

My advice is this: You can mod all you want. But if the V8 is what you truly love and want, the V6 will NEVER satisfy you. I thought if I poured enough money in that it would change my mind, but all it took was 1 test drive to change my mind.

Every day I drive the GT, it is a pleasure. It never feels like a chore and I really don't see myself ever getting rid of it (unless I have a kid). Never any complaints about the car, like - It's not a V8. Everyone always asks for rides in it.

When I had a V6, it was constant jokes. Then when you lose in a race to a GT, it just adds insult to injury. Lol. Then there is the comment "It's pretty good for a V6." which sounds demeaning.

Sure you can floor a modded V6 and it feels nice. But it will never feel the same as dropping a GT into 3rd or 4th and ripping it. It is a fun adrenaline rush. I was never able to get that from my V6. It was fun, but not breathtaking.

Not bashing the V6 owners. Just sharing my own experience. I am sure others will have a different opinion.

#18 ·
Very well stated. How added power is applied and feels is another big difference. Look at power curves and number gains on FI 3.7's and previous v6's. They make decent hp gains but hardly match it in torque.

It's the readily available torque that makes even a stock v8 seem much more lively and satisfying.

#19 ·
"Fast" is definitely a subjective term. Put a guy that drives a Toyota Tercel in an Ion Redline or Ford Probe and he'll think it's fast as hell.

Once you've been in something faster, you'll always compare what you have to it.

#21 ·
Yea, having all of that Raw power always available is pretty sweet. Now stacking a supercharger on all that Raw power is even more awesome, but we can't all be rich :) maybe one day...but for now I will gladly work with what I got. :D

#27 ·
Most fun you'll ever have with 160hp. As you well know lol.

There are always the Monster Miatas or ppl who find the FC RX7s for real cheap and drop in a LS1.

#25 ·
We rented a 2017 Mustang Convertible automatic with the turbo 4 on our recent trip to Fla. same color as my 2015 GT. Drove it from Fort Lauderdale to Key West. To sum up the difference, two entirely different cars. Just got home after driving my car and as others have stated the raw V8 power is the only way to go. The turbo is suppose to have 310hp. It might, but I had to really push on the throttle to make ANYTHING happen.

The only positive things I can say about the turbo is the front is MUCH lighter so it wants to be thrown into the turns and the gas mileage.

#26 ·
Problem with turbo cars is they're always so soft in factory trim. That engine could easily make 50% more torque than the 5.0, but why would Ford deliberately tune it like that you know. Just sucks that you have to rely on the aftermarket for a turbo car, because an OEM is almost never going to give us a good one out of the box.

#28 ·
Op, you love the car? It has sentimental value? You'll love it more when you supercharge it. Always gonna be a faster and better car out there but the best car anytime...is yours. ;)

#34 · (Edited)
I've read these engines can safely handle 10 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Just to be nit picky, boost realistically is unrepresentative of horsepower. Technically, it is a measure of restriction between the compressor and cylinder head. All that means is 10 psi on one compressor will not be the same as 10 psi on another. A torque number, at a given rpm, is the best way to rate what an engine can hold.

The reason i say torque and not HP, is HP is a derivative of torque: HP = (torque x rpm)/ 5252. So, again, to get nit picky, if we say the engine is good to 500 whp (for the sake of example), 500 whp needs the following torque at the following rpms:

at 3000 rpms, 500 whp is 875 wtq
at 4000 rpms, 500 whp is 656 wtq
at 5000 rpms, 500 whp is 525 wtq
at 6000 rpms, 500 whp is 437 wtq
and at 7000 rpms 500 whp is 375 wtq.

/rant.

#33 ·
If your Mustang is 'really' sentimental to you, then Pro Charge it :). I'm in the same boat as you. I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping my Mustang for the rest of my life and 'might' be Pro Charging it at some point :) 475 horsepower out of a 6 cylinder isn't a bad thing :dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.