Differential Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Differential Swap

Hey all, I need to replace one of my axle shafts that I slightly bent. It's bent just enough to squeak every so often. I also want to change the gear ratio from the stock 2.73 to something a little more aggressive. All in, this is going to cost me about $800 if I do he gear swap and axle shaft.

My question is: if I were to purchase a used rear axle from a GT with 3.31 gearing, would it fit the driveshaft for my V6? Is it a plug and play sort of deal? I can get a complete rear axle for about $700, and I could do the work myself rather than taking it to a shop.

Thanks for the input!

Instagram: workshardplayshard
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I did this swap myself on my old v6 so I can tell you from experience..

The driveshaft will not be plug and play. You will need to swap over the pinion flange from your v6 axle to the GT axle (This is exactly what I did).

Other than that, you're good to go. Very simple swap! I recommend leaving the wheels on your axle so you can roll it around once you've unbolted it from your car. Then swap tires to GT axle and roll it in to place, bolt everything up and boom!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

The driveshaft will not be plug and play. You will need to swap over the pinion flange from your v6 axle to the GT axle (This is exactly what I did).

Other than that, you're good to go. Very simple swap! I recommend leaving the wheels on your axle so you can roll it around once you've unbolted it from your car. Then swap tires to GT axle and roll it in to place, bolt everything up and boom!

Awesome!

That pinion flange doesn't have to be pressed in or anything, right?

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
not sure about your model year but I don't think the pinion flange is interchangeable from The 7.5 to the 8.8 in all years. I didn't think it was interchangeable at all until I just read the previous post. I thought it was a Different spline count. I don't think they have to be pressed on but I know you have to be cautious because you can put too much tension on the bearings. I have not done this yet so my experience is just from what I have read for my own research. I have an 8.8 sitting on my shop floor right now waiting for me to do the swap. I purchased a different pinion flange that I believe is what I am going to need. It cost about 50 bucks on American muscle.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
tman1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Hopefully this helps:
Swapping to a gt500 rear end good stuff starts at post 31.

I have a transmission jack, but i really like the idea of putting the wheels back on after the brakes and everything have been removed. The axle is heavy, my guess is probably 200+ lbs, so being able to maneuver it is a big deal. Plus, i had to go buy 2 more jack stands haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Awesome!

It doesn't, but the torque spec is "TAF" so you will need a substantial breaker bar or impact.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Another tip,

When you swap out the pinion flange, have the axle rotated so the flange is facing upwards. Save yourself from losing any fluid when you take them off

Instagram: @v6beast
Old 03-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
V,

If I remember yours is an AT....w/o insulting you'll want a new tune or shift points will be way off
Old 03-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys!

And yes, Mud, I'd have MPT adjust my tune for me.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
2011 doesn't have a 7.5" rear end. All Mustangs starting with the 2011 model year have the 8.8" rear end.

I believe that the pinion flange is the same, unlike the 2005-10. Should be a direct swap.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
2011 doesn't have a 7.5" rear end. All Mustangs starting with the 2011 model year have the 8.8" rear end.

I believe that the pinion flange is the same, unlike the 2005-10. Should be a direct swap.

It's not as stated above.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
It's not as stated above.

That's because he's wrong about the 2011-14 V6. He mentions "on his older Mustang," so he is talking about the 2005-10 model year. For 2005-10 the V6 had the 7.5" rear end. In 2011 -14 ALL Mustangs have the same 8.8" rear end.

Different model years and different OEM set up. He is correct for the 2005-10; you need to swap the pinion flange on a 2005-10 when you put the 8.8" from a 2005-10 GT. Not true for the 2011+

Since this is posted in the 2011-14 section the OP should be asking about a 2011+ model. He already has the 8.8" rear end, and if he is installing a rear end from a 2011+ the pinion flange should match already.

It may already match for a 2005-10. I used to sell new take off rear ends and when the 2011 hit and we were selling them often the pinion flange already matched the 2005-10 drive shaft for the V6. We never figured out why some were already swapped and some weren't.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman1020 View Post
not sure about your model year but I don't think the pinion flange is interchangeable from The 7.5 to the 8.8 in all years. I didn't think it was interchangeable at all until I just read the previous post. I thought it was a Different spline count. I don't think they have to be pressed on but I know you have to be cautious because you can put too much tension on the bearings. I have not done this yet so my experience is just from what I have read for my own research. I have an 8.8 sitting on my shop floor right now waiting for me to do the swap. I purchased a different pinion flange that I believe is what I am going to need. It cost about 50 bucks on American muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Hopefully this helps:
Swapping to a gt500 rear end good stuff starts at post 31.

I have a transmission jack, but i really like the idea of putting the wheels back on after the brakes and everything have been removed. The axle is heavy, my guess is probably 200+ lbs, so being able to maneuver it is a big deal. Plus, i had to go buy 2 more jack stands haha.

It doesn't, but the torque spec is "TAF" so you will need a substantial breaker bar or impact.
Quote:
Another tip,

When you swap out the pinion flange, have the axle rotated so the flange is facing upwards. Save yourself from losing any fluid when you take them off

Don't mess with that pinion flange until you verify if your driveshaft already fits. Compare the flange from the rear end you remove to the one you are swapping in. It is very easy to mess up the load on the flange, and if you are swapping a 2011+ rear end to a 2011+ Mustang you already have the correct flange and it is a direct plug and play fit.

If the rear end comes from a 2005-10 GT, verify the flange. It is probably the correct one for a 2011+ Mustang, but some of the 2011/12 set ups were different for some reason.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #13
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't mess with that pinion flange until you verify if your driveshaft already fits. Compare the flange from the rear end you remove to the one you are swapping in. It is very easy to mess up the load on the flange, and if you are swapping a 2011+ rear end to a 2011+ Mustang you already have the correct flange and it is a direct plug and play fit.

If the rear end comes from a 2005-10 GT, verify the flange. It is probably the correct one for a 2011+ Mustang, but some of the 2011/12 set ups were different for some reason.

The plot thickens.

Just to clarify, I would be getting a rear end from an 11-14 GT and putting it into my 14 V6.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Let's ignore the other dude that mentions 05-10. That was never taken in to consideration in my posts.

All 11+ have the 8.8" rear end.

We know OP has a v6. We also know OP mentions swapping his V6 rear end with a GT rear end.

Now, as a person who has done this swap and has actual experience on it, I can tell you for a FACT that you need to swap the pinion flange. While both rear ends are 8.8", the pinion flange for a V6 is different from the one on a GT. V6 driveshafts are held in to place with 4 bolts while the GTs have a different design and are held in by 6 bolts.

OP needs to swap over the pinion flange to bolt up his driveshaft.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let's ignore the other dude that mentions 05-10. That was never taken in to consideration in my posts.

All 11+ have the 8.8" rear end.

We know OP has a v6. We also know OP mentions swapping his V6 rear end with a GT rear end.

Now, as a person who has done this swap and has actual experience on it, I can tell you for a FACT that you need to swap the pinion flange. While both rear ends are 8.8", the pinion flange for a V6 is different from the one on a GT. V6 driveshafts are held in to place with 4 bolts while the GTs have a different design and are held in by 6 bolts.

OP needs to swap over the pinion flange to bolt up his driveshaft.

Is there any harm in taking the pinion flange from the rear end I'm removing and putting it onto the one I'm installing?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Uploaded a picture of a rear end from a GT, rear end from a V6, GT driveshaft and V6 driveshaft (one piece, couldn't find a pic of stock on google. still the same design).

Not sure what order the pics are being posted but the picture of the 1 piece driveshaft with the 4 bolt u joint goes to the v6 rear end (the flat pinion flange). It's got multiple holes.

The GT driveshaft (pic with 4 bolts sticking through and 2 more that are not threaded through all the way) goes to the GT rear end which has more of a 'slot in' flange for the driveshaft.

There's absolutely no way to fit the v6 driveshaft on that flange.

Hope the pics help clarify why you need to swap over the pinion flange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt pinion flange.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	222577   Click image for larger version

Name:	v6 driveshaft.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	222585  

Name:	gt drive shaft.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	222593  
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #17
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Uploaded a picture of a rear end from a GT, rear end from a V6, GT driveshaft and V6 driveshaft (one piece, couldn't find a pic of stock on google. still the same design).

Not sure what order the pics are being posted but the picture of the 1 piece driveshaft with the 4 bolt u joint goes to the v6 rear end (the flat pinion flange). It's got multiple holes.

The GT driveshaft (pic with 4 bolts sticking through and 2 more that are not threaded through all the way) goes to the GT rear end which has more of a 'slot in' flange for the driveshaft.

There's absolutely no way to fit the v6 driveshaft on that flange.

Hope the pics help clarify why you need to swap over the pinion flange.

Really appreciate that!

Would it be an issue if I just swap the pinion flange from mine to the GT axle so I don't have to buy one?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Really appreciate that!

Would it be an issue if I just swap the pinion flange from mine to the GT axle so I don't have to buy one?

No issue, that's exactly what I did. Swapped the flanges around.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #19
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Volt and Di,

Since you guys have done this before, what did the process for the pinion nut/flange look like for you guys? Did you measure the rotational torque before or did you mark the nut and flange? Is there a crush washer and did you replace it with a new one?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I unbolted the old and bolted on the new. Needs an impact though, because it is TAF.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #21
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I unbolted the old and bolted on the new. Needs an impact though, because it is TAF.
Ok, just making sure because I was reading something somewhere about making sure it was torqued back to the exact same spec that it came off.

I have an 800ft/lb impact that should smoke it pretty good.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 AM   #22

Region: Massachusetts
ahh too bad you're a distance away.. Next week I'll be swapping out the exact rear axle assly you need from my 11 V6 Prem pony w/41k miles ..... 3.31's , posi , 31 spline , correct V6 pinion flange, ect. complete w/ upper and lower arms and Factory panhard bar.. w/ brakes and hardware ..straight w/ no damage
Swapping it out for a Moser M88,,,,,,,,,
Steve1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

Steve,

a derail of Vigs thread but look in the regiuonal forum. Me and Rob run cruises several times per year in MA and CT

New England Fall Cruise 2016

Mud
Old 03-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

I wouldn't use an impact on the pinion flange. It is done to inch pounds of torque, not foot pounds. Too tight and you may find that the rear end seizes up on you.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #25
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't use an impact on the pinion flange. It is done to inch pounds of torque, not foot pounds. Too tight and you may find that the rear end seizes up on you.
The inch pounds are for measuring the pre-load (how much tq is needed to spin the pinion) not for driving the nut down. The actual nut needs at least 140ft/lbs to even start the crush sleeve. Then you take your in/lbs tq wrench and check to see how much tq is needed to spin the pinion.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:56 PM   #26
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

The rear end just arrived today. I'm just waiting for Bama to get me a tune for the 3.31s.

The diff shipped undrained, and the car it came out of had only 30,000 miles on it. I checked the level and it's at the proper level. I'm debating on changing it because the factory fill is good stuff. It's rated for 150,000 miles.

In the mean time I started stripping down the new axle by taking off the brakes, control arms, sway bar, etc. The thing is a beast. The listed shipping weight was 350lbs.

Looking forward to getting this on the car.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #27
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Got the tune today so next weekend is the weekend.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet keep us updated as to how much of a difference you feel in acceleration

Old 04-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #29
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

I'm midway through the swap now. I have the original diff off of the car. I thought I'd be able to hammer the pinion flange, but after 10 minutes my arm was tired and I wasn't making much progress and since I started late it's too late to go out and grab a gear puller.

So tomorrow I'll go to Advance Auto and rent a gear puller and finish this off.

In the meantime, here's a pic of the aftermath of super leaky pinion seal. It's all over the place down there. On the exhaust, gas tank, everywhere. Another reason I decided to just get a whole new diff.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1491618925.520324.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	226546

Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Fun times.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

wait wait wait, why are you needing a hammer? I took the nut off and literally just took it off with my hand?
Old 04-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #32
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
wait wait wait, why are you needing a hammer? I took the nut off and literally just took it off with my hand?

Lol either you have the strength of Thor or I am a weak little weenie. Or it could have to do with living in the salt belt? I tried to pull it off standing over it and literally lifted the entire axle off the ground. Wouldn't budge. The gear puller worked for me though.

I just finished. The thing was a beast to work with. Would have been a lot easier if I'd had a transmission jack rather than pushing and pulling it on a pallet to position it.

Drives like a dream now. The 3.31 gearing is great. These cars really need at least the 3.31s.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, now that you mention it our axle was very low miles when we did this swap. Glad to see you got it all taken care of though.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #34
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Differential Swap

And unintended benefit of doing this swap was getting the thicker rear sway bar and end links. Corners a lot flatter now.

The car is unbelievably better after this swap.

Quote:
Yeah, now that you mention it our axle was very low miles when we did this swap. Glad to see you got it all taken care of though.

Thanks man. I appreciate the write up you posted. Those sensor wires most likely would have been ripped straight out if not for checking out your write up. Unclipping them might have been the hardest part of the swap because I honestly couldn't figure out how to unfasten them.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Happy that swap worked out! I just did the same exact thing over the winter. Put a 3.31 rear axle from a 2012 GT into my V6.

Just to recap for anyone else curious: Had to swap pinion flanges. I marked the nut and counted rotations to unscrew it, needed a puller for the flange, then swapped and got it almost all the way tightened before needing to make a tool to hold the flange while my impact got the last 1/4 of a turn in.

Whew. worth it tho!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang