Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Traded off my V6...

4K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  jayochs 
#1 ·
After 3 years of road trips and fun, I decided to trade off my 2014 V6 for a 2017 GT. The V6 gave me 50,000+ miles of reliable transportation and enjoyable cross country adventures. The most memorable trip was our Coast-to-Coast run last year, leaving the Atlantic Ocean at Neptune Beach, Florida shortly after midnight on Saturday morning and arriving at the Pacific Ocean in San Diego, California Sunday afternoon... 2372.9 miles in 43 hours and 22 minutes. Earlier this month, the V6 covered 1968.3 miles from the West Coast to the Midwest in 28 hours and 32 minutes. It was a very good road trip car.

However, a certain 2017 GT arrived at a local dealer in January, and it has been on my radar ever since. I am picky about the color, rear end ratio and options I want on my Mustang, and this one was absolutely spot-on... exactly like I had spec'd on the Mustang "Build & Price" page any number of times. I finally decided that it was time to buy it, and traded in my beloved V6.

So, although I will still be reading this V6 section like always, I'll probably start lurking about in the 2015+ GT section as well. But, there is certainly no cylinder snobbery on my part... the V6 Mustang is a superb car, don't let anyone tell you different! I certainly enjoyed every mile I put on mine.

See less See more
#39 ·
Record keeping

Wow, I thought I was bad keeping afull record of MPG on my round trip to the Mustang show from Florida.
My overall total was:
This was 2015,
Trip expensis AM show 2015

Mileage at start on Counter “B” oooooo

1st. stop Manning S.C. 12.242 gal @ $35.00 = 363.7 miles = 29.709 mpg

2nd. Stop King George Va. 12.462 gal @ $35.01 = 395.7 miles = 31.752 mpg

3rd. stop Shillington Pa. 9.203 gal @$23.00 = 264.8 miles = 28.773 mpg

4th. stop Ashland Va. 11.946 gal @ $26.75 = 335.9 miles = 28.118 mpg

5th. stop Santee S.C. 11.067 gal @ $25.00 = 373.8 miles = 33.776 mpg

6th. stop Port Orange Fl. 10.767 gal @ $24.75 = 319.1 miles 29.636 mpg (Last stop)

Mileage at finish on counter “B” 2,053 miles

67.687 Gallons of gas used
Total miles = 2,053 Round trip
Total MPG = 30.330

Total cost of gas was == $169.51

Mustang was filled up at the same Shell station when I left and again at the same station when I returned.

This is total combined Highway, Heavy stop & go traffic and hills in Pennsylvania

From Port Orange (DAYTONA BEACH) Florida to Shillington / Maple Grove
Pennsylvania and back to Port Orange, Florida.

I'll look for 1016 because it was even better MPG and gas was cheaper.
Ronnie

Attachments

#40 ·
That is fantastic Ronnie. I do some similar stuff on trips, and over the years my data collection has improved. I now have a GPS data logger on the car, and I use it to verify travel time on each leg, which allows me to calculate average MPH. It also allows me to quantify the amount of time spent at the various stops, such as gas stops, food stops or good ol' fashioned pee breaks. Combine that with the gas mileage information, and it gives me a very good picture of each leg of a trip, which can be analyzed to help plan future runs. I also have a dash cam that can hold over 50 hours of video, so I can always refer to it if I have questions about locations and timing, too.

Here is an example of the information I look at on each leg of a trip - I pulled this out of a word.docx about my last run to the west coast. I'm a bit wary of posting the entire docx, so I'm just posting the info from one leg:

LEG #10
(Start and stop locations redacted)
Departure: 05:51:17 AM March 3, 2017
Arrival Time: 09:40:09 AM March 3, 2017
Travel Time: 03:48:52
Miles: 300.5
Average MPH: 78.78
Gallons: 12.504
MPG: 24.03
Gas stop time: 00:12:42

Of course, the gas mileage information/fillup info is entered into Fuelly, which keeps track of pricing and cost. I'm less concerned about the cost of each leg, more concerned about minimizing travel time; both average mph as well as the time spent stopped.

I know this is unusual; I will point out that I don't do this for every mile I drive the car, just on the long distance runs. I had a lot of data gathered on the V6, so it is a bit intimidating to be starting all over from scratch. But, I'll know more about the V8 range/mileage soon... :whistling:

#41 ·
My Mario messes up my MPG

I would get better MPG if I did not have my best friend Mario with me. He wants to stop at about every rest area he sees and goes bananas if I don't stop. ((( I gotta have the only dog in the country that knows what a "REST AREA ONE MILE SIGN IS")))
Pulling out of the Many and I do mean "MANY" rest areas is when I use a heck of a lot of gas.
I just can't help flooring it and having some fun on the entrance ramps.
Ronnie

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.