Mustang Evolution Forum banner

MMD V1 Chin Spoiler Install

5K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  jayochs 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone here have this spoiler? Long story short, I tried installing it today, and the fitment was HORRIBLE, none of the holes matched up, and in the end, the piece that connects in the wheel well snapped right off. called AM earlier because my pack didn't come with "adhesive promoter" because there's 3m tape on it, so i had to take a ride 25 minutes away to pick some up at the only NAPA around me that had it.....so this just began with issues. either way, when it broke, i called AM, and after some discussions they decided to help me out by doing an exchange. i have no idea why the fitment was so bad; i'm wondering if i just got a faulty spoiler in the first place. NOTHING lined up well at all, the screw holes didn't line up to the bumper at all, and it was just a bad time over all. i'm not too sure how i feel about the 3m tape now after having seen how it goes on, but i'm going to return the broken piece to them and they're gonna ship me a new one...and if i have any trouble during installation, they said to call immediately to see if they can help at all, and if the next one has bad fitment too,then i'll be looking at a refund, to which i'll have to spend the money on one that DOESN'T use the 3m tape i assume.

either way, does anyone here have this one? because if you have any tips, PLEASE help me. the stock instructions from MMD are absolute GARBAGE, bc it's 4 steps that literally say "take off the chin spoiler. re use the hardware. put the new one back on"

that's literally all it says. they don't explain the correct way how to screw it into place, how to deal with the 3m tape and it sticking to the car when you're trying to fit it right, etc etc. either way, it's BAD.

so i need help if anyone here has this spoiler!

here's the link:
MMD Mustang Chin Spoiler 389006 (13-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

notice on the pics how the front lip is nice and flush..mine wasn't at all. it wouldn't line up right, and definitely didn't fit like in the pictures!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh no, that sucks! The pics look loke there is a little angled lip before it goes straight down?

This sounds like my Foose rear valance install. F'ing nightmare and the instructions were brutal. AM told me it was too new for any of their team to help. Ugh.

Weird this is your MMD gets great reviews, while mine got horrible reviews so far (besides my review). I must have lucked out!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#3 ·
Been looking at chin spoilers, thank you for the review on this one. It's off the list. Just no faith in 3M tape holding this on at all.
I kind of like Hawk's better & it's not that much more.
Hope AM makes it right for you.

#4 ·
bump. does anyone here have this spoiler or any tips how to install it? my replacement was shipped today and will be here tomorrow... am is crazy fast with this stuff. guess it helps im in NJ lol. but yeah, i hope this one fits better...

oh and in terms of tape, it tapes to the car around the corners. the center is bolted on with like 6 or so bolts, and then it screws into the wheel well... idk why, but it only uses one screw into the well, whereas stock used 2. should've used both for more security but whatever. either way, if the tape came undone, it would just create a gap, not fall off.

#7 ·
I bought this same chin splitter last November when it was on sell and have not tried to install it yet do to being out of the country for work until this February and my stang is still in winter storage. Let me know how the new chin splitter works out because I do not plan on getting to installing it on my ride until mid April. Thanks

#8 ·
if i can even get it on, maybe I'll do a write up how I did it.

#9 ·
WTF american muscle...so i just got the replacement, open the box, and again, there's no adhesion promoter inside. I'm not driving a half hour away again to spend 7 bucks on these little foam pad things to wipe on there. Just wrote them an email explaining this is the second one I got that it didn't come with..

What's in the Box
(1) Chin Spoiler
3m Tape
Alcohol Pack
Adhesion Promoter

nope, no adhesion promoter here, again! yeeeeeesh. idk who boxes this stuff up, MMD, or AM, but dang, two strikes in a row here.

#12 ·
Sorry you're having a rough time brother. I saw the last bit of your post and got to grinning because most folks don't get that MMD is American Muscle or rather they are both under the same roof, aka Turn5.

#10 ·
3M tape still works very well if you simply prep the surface well using rubbing alcohol. I'd have to see it, but if I were you I would drill a second hole in the side pieces that go in the wheel well.

Maybe that's why MMD redesigned this thing? Mine needs no tape and reuses ALL existing bolts for a very secure and solid install.

FYI, my factory spoiler tape is failing on one end. Makes me want to buy the GT500 spoiler.

#11 ·
it's a redesign? i thought it was just names, v1 and v2, not as in version..bc they're completely different designs. idk, either way, i'm reading up on how much adhesion promoter helps, so i def want AM to send me some. it should have come with the damn thing. either way, if there's any issues installing this one at all, i'm returning it and getting a refund.

#13 · (Edited)
yeah, i figured it was the same exact company, because there's no info on MMD anywhere BUT american muscle lol. i'm on the phone now to see if they can send me out some of these things quick.

seems like they can't, it wouldn't get here by the weekend, and i want to make sure this new one fits. i'm just gonna go buy some promoter again. ugh. annoying. def getting a few stars off the review for this lol

*edit* alright so i went to the napa like 30 min away and bought two more little adhesive promoters for 7 bucks. annoying. so that's 14 bucks i've spent on adhesion promoters for 2 spoilers so far since AM didn't send it like it says it should...but i got a free t-shirt out of it. doubt it's worth 14 bucks though lol

#14 ·
well, i'm going to attempt this today...wish me luck :banghead:

#15 ·
absolute trash. sending it back for a refund. huge gap where it won't even mold to the passengers side by the wheel well, and the 3m tape isn't even sticking to the spoiler from their factory, so there's no way this will work. on phone now getting a refund. guess i'm done with the whole chin spoiler thing bc this is just a disappointment.

hawk, would you recommend yours? it would cost me like 10 bucks more, but it doesn't use tape and is all bolts.

Attachments

#17 ·
hawk, check your PMs.

#18 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of American Muscle house brands. MMD, Raxiom and their replica wheels all leave a lot to be desired. At least the replica wheels I got were good when I got them but paper thin clear and I had to wait an extra week because they sent me a nicked rim and then wouldn't ship me a new one till they saw I had dropped it off at UPS and then they wouldn't even do express shipping out to me after THEY sent me a bad part.

Just get a CDC lip or something IMO. Those actually fit properly and you can get them from other vendors. AM has become my very last choice for ordering any parts. Summit/Jegs first and then if its a Mustang specific part I'll look at LRM or CJP and then finally AM if they are the only game in town. Most places will also have forum discounts just like AM does, hell even UPR has a 5% off coupon during checkout...

#19 ·
I looked at lmr and cj and all of their chin spoilers are either a complete ripoff in terms of cost, or are ugly. the only other one I was considering was the mmd v2 spoiler.

#21 ·
MMD is trash. never buying anything from them. kinda thinking of steering clear of american muscle in general nowadays...gotta find someone new who sells mustang parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.