Mustang Evolution Forum banner

100% Pure Gas with No Ethanol

18K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  ab_mach1 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone else here use pure gas in their car? Seems like that would be a good practice if possible, any thoughts? P.S. there is a cool site to locate stations with pure gas http://www.pure-gas.org/
We actually have a local gas station called Weigles that has started installing 100% Gas pumps at new stations, other than that it's typically only at old stations that are forced to sell it because they have old equipment.

#4 ·
Does anyone else here use pure gas in their car? Seems like that would be a good practice if possible, any thoughts? P.S. there is a cool site to locate stations with pure gas PUREGAS.com -

We actually have a local gas station called Weigles that has started installing 100% Gas pumps at new stations, other than that it's typically only at old stations that are forced to sell it because they have old equipment.
I dont think that site is what you think it is lol

#5 ·
Non -Ethanol Fuel

Anyone here used or dyno'ed VP C-10 or Sunoco 260 GTX unleaded with a custom tune? Has to make more power .... Just curious ..
Also, non - ethanol gasoline can be bought at some marinas if you call around ....
Here is the pure gas link to local stations, speed shops etc for straight gas........ Pure-Gas.org also available as an app

#6 ·
Non -Ethanol Fuel

Anyone here used or dyno'ed VP C-10 or Sunoco 260 GTX unleaded with a custom tune? Has to make more power .... Just curious ..
Also, non - ethanol gasoline can be bought at some marinas if you call around ....
Here is the pure gas link to local stations, speed shops etc for straight gas........ Pure-Gas.org .... also available as an app

#7 ·
I use 89 non ethanol in my small mowers, etc as well as my 3.7 Mustang (not daily driver). Don't track, it sometimes stays in garage 2weeks at a time. Runs great, & gets a little better mpg than the "up to 10%" ethanol blends.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#8 ·
I use 87 octane 'pure gas' in my boat. It cost around 10 cents a gallon more than the 93 octane up to 10% ethanol I use in my Mustang :(

#9 ·
We have not had ethanol free gas available in MASS since the 90s. I use E10 in my 68 Barracuda, my new cars and all my lawn equipment. I have never had an issue with it.

You potentially get better mileage with ethanol free but hardly enough to notice at 10%.

#10 ·
My two cents::: a financial advisor once told me: we get 10% less mpg with E10 and I'm guessing 85% less with E85. I use to/still do use 50/50 100%/E85 in my older FI cars/trucks. Straight 100% in my 1950 Pontiac Silverstreak. I use E85 or racing gas in my high comp/carb racing engine. FWIW::: I read on the net last year something about bio-fuels are actually Bad for clean air. Don't know who really knows!!!!!

#26 ·
Not quite. E85 requires about 40% more fuel due to the stoichiometric ratio (look up stoichiometry from when you took chemistry) of E85 being about 9:1 and pump gas being 14.7:1.

So, you'd allocate 10% of your fuel to needing 9:1 ratio = .9
You'd allocate 90% of your fuel to needing 14.7:1 = 13.23

Total stoich is now 14.13. Compare to 14.7 and you'll see you use about 4~ more fuel with E10 compared to ethanol free.

Mister Voltwings would probably be best at explaining that if your engine functions good using the 87 octane with no unburnt fuel, Using other higher octane gas won't make a difference.
I know I'm just going to stick with 87 octane BJ's gas or Shell if out of town and I need gas.
Ronnie
This is true. The computer has the authority to advance timing *to a certain degree allowed by the tuner* to make the most of the given octane. IF your car is able to reach that pre set limit on 87, you'll see zero increase by using a different fuel without a re tune.

Running 100 Percent Gasoline isn't purely about better fuel economy. It's just a scientific fact you are going to get better gas mileage under a controlled test with pure gasoline, however it's not enough to offset the price. There are other factors to consider however, like the effect on the engine and longevity of engine parts.
I am not sure based by the context of your statement if you are for or against ethanol, i just figured this would be a good post to comment on anyways.
Starting in 2010 all fuel system components were mandated to be ethanol compliant, which means you should not have issues with lines, seals, misc parts failing.
A lot of people confuse the fact that ethanol is basically a cleaning agent and will scrub all the crap that regular pump gas has left behind. This gunk will cause fuel filters to clog and all kinds of mess. The issue isnt the ethanol however, it is the gunk left behind by pump gas.

If you've ever seen an engine taken apart that has been running ethanol you can almost eat off of it its so clean. Worlds of difference compared to a pump gas motor.

Me personally, ethanol is a knock suppressant, i'll take all i can get. 4% really isnt that much, especially compared to the price as someone else mentioned. If its not less than 4% more expensive, you arent saving money.

#11 ·
I have a shell station that sell no-ethanol gas at $1.79 a gallon.
I tried three tankfuls and found I got no better MPG then I did with 87 Octane.
My Mustang did not feel to run any better. All I did was seem to waste $$$$$.
I will use it if I was to store my car for a long time because it don't hold moisture like ethanol gas does. I will absolutely use it for my Generator with some Stabil in it for long term storage.
I think because the 3.7 is made to use 87 octane 10% ethanol gas, It will not really run better on non-ethanol.
I tried 93 Octane Shell a few years ago and it was no better then the 87 in my V6.
I read on this forum that the car would run better on 93 octane but it did not. It just costs more and the MPG was just the same as the 87 I was using.
I'm really happy that they do sell non ethanol gas now because there is a lot of good uses for it.
Ronnie

#13 ·
I have a shell station that sell no-ethanol gas at $1.79 a gallon.
I tried three tankfuls and found I got no better MPG then I did with 87 Octane.
My Mustang did not feel to run any better. All I did was seem to waste $$$$$.
I will use it if I was to store my car for a long time because it don't hold moisture like ethanol gas does. I will absolutely use it for my Generator with some Stabil in it for long term storage.
I think because the 3.7 is made to use 87 octane 10% ethanol gas, It will not really run better on non-ethanol.
I tried 93 Octane Shell a few years ago and it was no better then the 87 in my V6.
I read on this forum that the car would run better on 93 octane but it did not. It just costs more and the MPG was just the same as the 87 I was using.
I'm really happy that they do sell non ethanol gas now because there is a lot of good uses for it.
Ronnie
Living in Iowa, before ethanol, we used Heat gas treatment to prevent water from freezing in the gas. I understood/told Heat WAS ethanol. I began using E10 to avoid buying Heat. Never had trouble using E10 -0 F. I do get worse mpg using pure E85. Didn't notice much diff with E10.

#12 ·
Station about 30 minutes from me is the only station literally within 3-4 hours that sells e85. They also sell C-10 and some other racing fuels too. TBTH if you are near some places that sell E85 and will be for a long time I'd just go that route.

#14 ·
You get worse MPG on E-85 because everyone does. If you don't need E85 don't run E85. E85 is good for ppl who need the octane.

#18 ·
Hi 69ponyxprs,
It's sure funny I can't find any difference in performance or MPG between the three different blends of gas I used.
I'm not talking using just one tankful, I loaded three to four tanks to get actual results,
Be it 87 or 93 octane or the no-ethanol Shell I still got 24 / 26 around town and 30/ 31 on the interstate at 75 or 80 MPH.
The 87 is a heck of a lot cheaper and I can't find any difference at all except the price per gallon.
I can't see any difference between the Sam or BJ's less expensive gas then the Shell I use when I have a gift card to use.
Even on vacations using different brands, The performance and MPG remains about the same.
It all averages out.
Ronnie
PS: This is about "MY" Mustang 3.7 V6 Automatic, I can't give any information on A V8 because I don't have one. I would GUESS a V8 would do best on 93 octane with 10% ethanol.

#19 ·
Mister Voltwings would probably be best at explaining that if your engine functions good using the 87 octane with no unburnt fuel, Using other higher octane gas won't make a difference.
I know I'm just going to stick with 87 octane BJ's gas or Shell if out of town and I need gas.
Ronnie

#21 ·
Running 100 Percent Gasoline isn't purely about better fuel economy. It's just a scientific fact you are going to get better gas mileage under a controlled test with pure gasoline, however it's not enough to offset the price. There are other factors to consider however, like the effect on the engine and longevity of engine parts.

#23 ·
Hopefully like a 60s gto or a grand national...and not a 1999 Grand Prix... ?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#24 ·
In my 50 years or so being around many kinds of racing, Doing it myself along with friends with dragsters, It was always brought to my attention that OIL is the life blood of an engine.
Using quality Motor Oil and the right viscosity is paramount for performance and longevity.
Using any quality Gasoline is important because Old gas, Bad Gas, crap gas is not going to work as well as any quality fresh gas.
If your engine is designed to use 87 octane, and you use quality gas. The car will not run any better using 93 octane.
The new computer controlled engines may run a tiny bit crisper but "NOT" any better that will make a huge difference in power.
If it is worth spending the $$$$ and you feel it makes your car into a fire breathing monster, Go for it. Using 93 in a car designed for 87 will not harm anything but your wallet.
Using 87 in an engine designed for 93 is just plain foolish. It can be done, but Why?????
If you use Quality gasoline and the proper Motor oil, Your engine will last a very long time.
Ronnie

#25 ·
The new computer controlled engines may run a tiny bit crisper but "NOT" any better that will make a huge difference in power.
If it is worth spending the $$$$ and you feel it makes your car into a fire breathing monster, Go for it. Using 93 in a car designed for 87 will not harm anything but your wallet.
Using 87 in an engine designed for 93 is just plain foolish. It can be done, but Why?????
Ronnie
If you get a tuner and have the computer tuned for higher octane fuel, it's no longer foolish is it?

Also, what about using Pure Gas, which was what the topic was actually about. Any thoughts there?

#31 ·
Hi Mike, Use some common sense,
If you tune your engine to use 93 octane, You should use it.
As far as the additives go,
I use good quality Motor Oil, And not about to put anything in it at all.
The only thing I use in my gasoline is Techron and only once a year when I go up to the American Muscle show. I add a can to the first fill and it may or may not clean the injectors.
This stuff has been around a very long time and some of the top tier gasoline's have it in with their additives.
All of my Corvette friends used it to keep the fuel Gage bobbers inside of the gas tanks clean because in 97 to 99 they were a nightmare by sticking all the time.The Techron fixed that problem.
I had a 1998 Vette that I tracked a lot. I don't track or auto-X anymore so I just go to car shows and enjoy driving my Mustang. I am not tuned and probably won't ever.
I do like a nice crip good running car though. The 87 works fine for me.
Ronnie

Reactions: ActorMike
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.