Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Got rid of T-Shifter "knob"

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ajkillgore 
#1 ·
2012 Base with automatic.
Decided after the chrome started peeling on my t-shifter handle to change it out. Found out that a 2013 shifter handle will fit with some minor change. THe new shifter comes with a +- button on the side. The old t handle just has the downhill button.
The difference is 2 wires vs 3 wires. To keep being able to use the downhill feature I used my multimeter to figure out ground and + on the new handle. Leaving the - unused. Maybe one day I'll attached lasers to the front grill to blast bad or really slow drivers out of my way and use the - button for that!

So white wire and the black(ground) wire are for the +. Rather than cut and solder them I just removed the connector from the clip and moved them to the old connector.

Hardest part was getting the shift indicator out to get to the plug for the downhill button connection.

Whole project took about 45min.

I like the look and feel of the new shifter handle.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Looking at it I'm not sure it will rub off. If it does I still have the paint I used to do the trim and mirrors. I'll just mask off the entire interior (joking) and sand it, prime it and paint it. Something I might do anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.