what's the best way to treat the steering wheel leather? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
what's the best way to treat the steering wheel leather?

the left side of my steering wheel is getting nasty looking on the leather...i assume it's from the sun since i can't tint my front windows in *** backwards NJ.

any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-03 17.25.01.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	226146   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-03 17.25.08.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	226154  

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Buy a cool cover

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

nah why do that when it's sweet leather? lol does yours look like that? my poor cars only 4 years old, oy
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No, but I wanted a thicker grip. And my cover is nicer feeling leather

Old 04-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Region: North Carolina
Maguire's makes a leather cleaner/protectant that I use on my bike seat and the seats of my car. I haven't used it on the steering wheel yet but I'd bet it would help.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mal67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

hmm I wonder. if it's like a sealant and protectant that would be good too. i use a sun screen thing in the summers but it still gets in the side
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Lexol 907 Leather Care Kit, 8-oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H7DRQA..._ZXW4yb7M5P56Z

just ordered this little pack. forgot I had an amazon credit so it cost me nothing. even so, 11 bucks isn't bad. I'm gonna try it out. hope it restores it! don't want my poor car looking old as hell already 🙁
Old 04-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Did you rub right through the leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #9

Region: California
My stang started doing that a bit around the 4 year mark as well. However, it was only on the top right corner where I grabbed it the most. I have usually been careful to drive with clean hands, however I did regularly use Maguire's leather cleaner/conditioner...and I think me rubbing too hard, is what rubbed it off.

However, with the recent airbag recall, I had my dealer replace the steering wheel leather as well, so mine is brand new again. Forgot how dull/matte they were new! Looking at your photo, it reminded me again, since I can see how shiny the leather got.

Either way, I hope my input helped!
moto2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
two lane blacktop and palm sweat......

well, that's what I do with my base model that came with the hard plastic that I wrapped in friction tape (with contrasting centering stripe!)
Old 04-04-2017, 05:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

the thing Is I don't even hold the wheel there. if I'm doing one handed it's like around 11, but mainly I drive chill and hold it on the bottom left rung with my elbows in my lap. I never hold it at the side, so it has to be from uv
Old 04-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It's not from the Sun it's from the oils in your dirty hands, Use leather cleaner to deep clean the filth out and then condition it with your favorite product.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I ride regularly use a variety of leather care materials on my saddles and tack. Google "saddle and tack care" and you'll find a number of sites offering good materials. Be careful of leather polish - it's for usually used for show appearance, and will make your wheel a bit slippery when you first put it on. Whatever you use, wipe it off completely for the same reason.
cheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
It's not from the Sun it's from the oils in your dirty hands, Use leather cleaner to deep clean the filth out and then condition it with your favorite product.
don't know about that, seeing as like i said above, i never touch that area. at all. the areas i DO touch are completely fine. so i really doubt it's from my hands. i'm sure maybe it could be a mixture, but i'm sure it's from UV rays just banging down on the leather. it's on the side t hat's completely open, whereas my windshield is always covered.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
yeah just make sure when you clean it you get all the residue off I'm not sure which one I've been using I think meguiars the one that cleans, shines, and protects and I've left a little too much on the steering wheel and had it slide out of my hand luckily it was at low speeds and with no traffic.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
don't know about that, seeing as like i said above, i never touch that area. at all. the areas i DO touch are completely fine. so i really doubt it's from my hands. i'm sure maybe it could be a mixture, but i'm sure it's from UV rays just banging down on the leather. it's on the side t hat's completely open, whereas my windshield is always covered.
Maybe your wife has been sneaking it out behind your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
I do believe all windshields and windows block uv rays anymore. Though I could be wrong.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

then I've got no idea why it did it. but i never ever hold the wheel at that spot.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

so i used the stuff I got really quick and it removed that nasty stuff on the side. woo!
Old 04-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Prepare to never look at a car the same way again, primarily that right now may be the cleanest your car will ever be.

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/ho...teering-wheel/
https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom/featured
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang