Mustang Evolution Forum banner

20,000 mile service

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  CycloneS197 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm approaching 20k miles in my V6 and I was wondering if I should get it serviced through the dealership or from somewhere else. Also, is everything in the device package necessary or are there other things I should check on the car when I get it serviced. Thanks Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

See less See more
#3 ·
I really can't think of any required 20k maintenance. You could check the fluids but I wouldn't think the radiator, trans, brake fluid, rear end, etc would need to be flushed at 20 k. Only other item I could really think of would be to rotate the tires.

#5 ·
My 14 V6 is sitting at 18K something.... I do plan on upgrading gear oil for the trans and rear end this summer. Might do a coolant flush and brakes if needed.

When I log into my FORD account, for 20K checkup, this comes up....

-Replace cabin air filter, if equipped
-Rotate and inspect tires; check wheel end play and turning noise
-Change engine oil and replace oil filter when indicated on vehicle message center or every 12 months, whichever occurs first
-MEMO: Gas engine; Up to 6.0 quarts of oil (IOLM)
-Inspect cooling system and hoses
-Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
-Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
-Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and -drive-shafts and u-joints
-Perform multi-point inspection

The one thing that is weird to me is that my 3.7L V6 takes no more than 4 quarts of oil. I don't understand how it could use up to 6 quarts.... I put 4 quarts in and I am over the fill line by a few millimeters... anyway just something to think about. I check my oil level by the stick and not by quarts put in... just me.

#7 ·
Yeah I check it on level ground. I pull out about 4 quarts including what's in the filter and I put in almost 4. I say pull because I suck the oil out of the dipstick tube with a vacuum suction device/kit I have. I'm thinking of installing one of those quick release oil plug things so I can just do a quick drain in the future and not suck out the oil. I have to deal with HOA and I can't work on cars at home and I don't like to take my car in over little things... so that's why I suck the oil out because it's not obvious I'm working on my car.... etc.

Some may say... well you suck your oil out so there is some left in the engine... and I am sure a tiny bit stays in the engine. Well after I suck the 4 quarts out, I put fresh oil in, I let it sit, I check the level and I go for a ride. After a mile or two, I let the car sit for five mins and I check the oil and it looks brand new, it hasn't colored at all, meaning, it hasn't mixed with dark/used oil to change the color (darken the oil)... so yea I don't get it either... 4 quarts of oil with a new filter for my V6? lol.

#9 ·
Well if you are only pulling out 4 quarts you are not getting it all out, mine is 6 quarts right up to the full line with filter. I would be taking into somewhere where they can do a proper service. Ford BTW if you loose an engine will send an oil sample to a lab, and if you have old oil (they can tell) you will be buying a new motor.
IF you look at the picture of the engine the sump for our cars in in the rear while the dip stick in in the center and I do not think you are able to get all the way into the sump.

#8 ·
4 quarts should barely show up on your dipstick... You do know it's suppose to be at the TOP of the x'ed out area right?

I agree with Starz, 6 qts put me right at the top of the "full" marker. I wouldn't run any 6 cyl engine on only 4 quarts of oil. Heck my old Cougar was the most powerless v6 ever and that took a little over 5 quarts. lol

#11 ·
do the cabin air filter, def. when i hit 20k u started realizing my air smelled weird so I swapped it out with that Fram one with arm and hammer freshening stuff. smells much better now. also, yeah check brakes. I have a weird clunking in my front passenger brake that I have to pull off my wheel and check what's going on there...

#14 ·
Ok let me give more info. I got the car at 12800 miles. Right now I have 185xx. So I haven't even put 6k on it. I've changed the oil on it twice, first time it was motorcraft full synthetic and second time it was Redline.

My oil level is between the lines..... and I run a catch can. So I don't understand how I might be damaging my engine.... yeah I have some old oil running in there but I can't see that doing damage. I plan on changing the oil the old fashion way from now on and I'm gonna get my oil changed this week. I'm just wondering why some are saying I'm gonna mess my engine up.... thanks 😊

#16 ·
Ok let me give more info. I got the car at 12800 miles. Right now I have 185xx. So I haven't even put 6k on it. I've changed the oil on it twice, first time it was motorcraft full synthetic and second time it was Redline.

My oil level is between the lines..... and I run a catch can. So I don't understand how I might be damaging my engine.... yeah I have some old oil running in there but I can't see that doing damage. I plan on changing the oil the old fashion way from now on and I'm gonna get my oil changed this week. I'm just wondering why some are saying I'm gonna mess my engine up.... thanks ������
Because you are leaving 2 quarts of the dirtiest oil in the bottom of the oil pan. Metal particles and grit settle in the oil pan. You should use the drain plug when changing your oil. Make sure the motor is warm and not cold. The old oil will flow out the drain plug faster, with the grit and other crap when the oil is warm. :)

Pumping out the old motor oil like you have been doing is the only way to change the oil on most inboard and inboard out board 'boat motors'.

Me (we're) just trying to help because we don't want you to hurt your motor :)

#15 ·
The proper way to do it would be to drain the oil pan and change 100% of it. But if you plan to suck 4 quarts out every 3-5 k miles and get the pan/ filter done every 10k that will be fine. It's just long term 50-60 k that it could potentially cause damage.

Another thing to consider is why are you changing your oil every 3 k? Most synthetic oils are gods for 6-10 k miles. No harm in doing more but is a waste of money.

#17 ·
I hope I am not taking away from the OP.... my apologies if I am.
I normally wouldn't change synthetic oils that fast. It's just I didn't know what the car came with when I first go it, than I ran some Motorcraft and I wasn't impressed but I ran it for a while. Than I thought about Royal Purple but found out about RedLine and decided to give RedLine a try, and I am glad I did.... good oil! but I digress.
I don't drive a lot or drive hard but I like to change my oil every six months. I can afford it and I want to treat my motor right. I would never go over 7k with synthetic oils.

#21 · (Edited)
I think most of the necessary 20k service stuff you can do yourself. As for oil changes, I usually wind up putting a little over 5 qt in. I usually am draining less than that out, so likely some loss from consumption or blowby (plus whatever I spill).

#22 ·
Went in to the FORD dealership in Woodburn OR, they changed my oil and put in 6 quarts lol. My car ran so smooth and nice, I really love that RedLine stuff. For less than $7 they will do my oil change because I take in my own oil and filter... so I am very glad it's that cheap... no more getting my hands dirty with doing oil changes.

While I was there, I told the guy my car still had a recall on the airbag (driver side) so he looked into it and we found out that when I went in 6 months ago to get the recall fixed, the dealership I went to did not change my airbag and used the wrong bracket/harness or something. So I kinda killed two birds with one stone and had a new driver side airbag put in. Now I have a shiny new Mustang logo on my steering wheel lol.

Case closed.... 6 quarts it is for the 3.7L V6... thanks for all the comments folks!

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Went in to the FORD dealership in Woodburn OR, they changed my oil and put in 6 quarts lol. My car ran so smooth and nice, I really love that RedLine stuff. For less than $7 they will do my oil change because I take in my own oil and filter... so I am very glad it's that cheap... no more getting my hands dirty with doing oil changes.

While I was there, I told the guy my car still had a recall on the airbag (driver side) so he looked into it and we found out that when I went in 6 months ago to get the recall fixed, the dealership I went to did not change my airbag and used the wrong bracket. So I kinda killed two birds with one stone and had a new driver side airbag put in. Now I have a shiny new Mustang logo on my steering wheel lol.

Case closed.... 6 quarts it is for the 3.7L V6... thanks for all the comments folks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.