Mustang Evolution Forum banner

American Muscle Wheel Problems

6K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  StarzTA17 
#1 ·
Just thought I would share my experience with you guys.

I ordered a set of Boss LS style charcoal wheels from AM on Friday. They came in today (really fast shipping at least!). When they got here I noticed the boxes were really beat up. One had probably a 3"x3" hole in the side and another one was open (tape on top was cut). I opened them up to start inspecting and it all went down hill. One wheel had a large chip in the side of the lip, and a smaller one on the exact opposite side. Another wheel had what almost looked like serradding (IDK if I spelled that right) on the part of the wheel where the tire would cover. I get that defects/damage can happen, but what really got me is that on both front and back lips on all 4 wheels it looked like the finish was already rubbing off, you could see metal underneath it. This was consistent on the lips on all of them.

I ended up calling them not 20 minutes after delivery, and had them back at UPS to be returned within the hour. I was pretty steamed and just went for a refund as opposed to an exchange, as the rubbing finish makes me question the longevity.

I think I'll be going with Ford Performance wheels now. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Hmm. I'd be interested to hear more about how the charcoal finish holds up over time. Ive had my charcoal gt500 wheels on the car for about two months now and i've been wondering what the finish will look like over time. All of the reviews are positive but most people post reviews within a couple weeks and you cant really get a feel for durability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#4 ·
Yeah reviews are really hard to gauge, for me just getting hands on it didn't seem right. The damaged wheel wasn't even in one of the really bad boxes, so the whole thing was just frustrating and confusing.

SVE wheels are nice. AM quality has gone down hill greatly

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I was looking at those a bit, but they don't have a color/size combo I'd be interested in.

#5 ·
I won't buy their wheels again. Bought chrome gt500s years ago, one of first mods, and loved the look! One had a moderate blemish on inside barrel you could see through the spokes. They offered to replace it or $ back (1/2 off one wheel). I was so enamored I took the $. All 4 where grooved in the barrel (inside of rim) which made it necessary to rebalance the wheels every summer b/c weights would come off. One season (car isn't driven in winter) and there was bubbling under the chrome on another wheel. They replaced it (props for that) quickly. One thing I noticed when I first put them on the car was a vibration at highway speed. Thought it was a balance issue and it wasn't terrible so I lived w it. Rebalanced wheels following summer, still vibration was present. Replaced tires, still a vibration. Contacted AM about the issue with a report from garage saying the road force was excessive on one wheel. Of course this is now 3 years into it so wasn't expecting much but they do have a guarantee. Got a bit of email back and forth and final "sorry can't help you". Found a local guy that liked the wheels, explained the issue and made a deal. Put on my current Steeda wheels, hm, surprise, vibration gone. I'm not going to bash AM, they must get a ton of returns from ppl that want a refund for something they did. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the warranty past the first year though and regarding their wheels, I feel you definitely get what you pay for. IF you order them, inspect them completely and return anything that isn't right. Funny, I was going to buy SVE wheels but found the Steedas discounted.

#10 ·
---------------------------------------------------------------------Are those the Steedas currently displayed in your avatar? Damn, only 3 emails to finally get my answer! :facepalm:

#7 ·
Bought my 19s 4 years ago from AM, they have been perfect, chrome still as good as the day I got them with zero vibration.
I have read some stories about finish and balance issues with some of their wheels though, hate reading this stuff when we pay a nice chunk of change for them.

LG G4

#8 ·
Exact same thing happened to me......except I sent them back for exchange and the second shipment was just as bad. I went with Ford Performance wheels.......a couple of years ago everything was always perfect from AM, but now it's a different story

#9 ·
So why is everyone blaming American Musle. Sounds more like it is an UPS problem. I ordered Chrome Bullits over 3 years ago. Had a problem with the front sensor on the Driver's front rim. Wasn't sure which one was the problem, even though I went to a local tire repair shop. According to their scanner, the front tire sensor was working properly. I installed a new radio that let me read all four tires. Called AM and they sent me a front sensor for free. When the tire was removed from the rim, it broke completely. Tire Barn replaced it, balanced the tire for FREE!

#13 ·
No issues with shipping on my AM wheels. FedEx REALLY messed up my current Steeda wheels...you know NewMtang, the ones on the car now! Haha. 2 boxes looked like they were drop kicked off the truck and wheels were damaged. Steeda took care of it. THEN, guy at shop scratched the hell out of the face on one while mounting a tire. They took care of it. Only took 3 months to get these things on the car!

#15 ·
I've bought two sets from am. Wheel and tire staggered kit for my 02 gt. They were in great shape but weren't mounted properly on one wheel, had a constant slow leak. Thankfully I got a mounter and balancer, the tire rolled up against the bead of the wheel instead of popping on. On the wheels I ordered for my newer GT I also have the shaking issue and the wheels were beat up, sadly I was working out of town when I got them so i didn't send them back and they were dirt cheap on black Friday sale. Old wheels and tires don't shake at all these however do. I've rebalaced them a couple times and still no fix, it's weird. But the shake goes away after driving 5-10 miles, maybe the tires get flat spots on them till I get them going again?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#18 ·
I bought mine from a.m. and had to send back two of them due to shipping damage. They're boxing isn't very good but they don't hassle you when you want replacements. So far the Finish has been perfect they still look great and we're Dirt Cheap so can't complain. Balanced very well and the tech said it didn't take much to balance them. So far so good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#22 ·
I got all 4 of my tires from AM back in December and they arrived in great condition in regular but good condition boxes. I've been running them for 5 months now and all has been good. I have had problems with AM but I personally have nothing negative to say about the tires I received from them. I got all 4 of them cheaper than anywhere else with the forum promo code also. They have been great but apparent there are several people on here having issues with the ones they received. Mine were not the same brand as the ones you ordered either.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 93 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.