Mustang Evolution Forum banner

So the ecoboost turbo swap on a 3.7 has been tried...

59K views 80 replies 26 participants last post by  ab_mach1 
#1 ·
And we see what the results are. On pump gas they can't push anymore than in the 350whp range, and then they choke up any higher than 6k rpm. So what about using aftermarket EB turbos? The innards are milled out for larger turbine wheels so they flow much better. I know they're not as cost effective at $2500 plus another $800 for the super six motor sport kit, but the available supercharger kits are still 6 grand.

Thoughts?

#46 ·
No. Static compression ratio is the highest the compression can ever be because it is a ratio of volumes. VVT allows you to adjust the dynamic compression ratio, but dynamic will still always be lower than static.
Advancing the intake cam at low rpms (below peak torque) increases the dynamic compression ratio and will increase spool, and tuning in overlap at or above peak torque lowers the dynamic compression ratio during the compression stroke. It's literally no different than having a lower static compression in that situation. It's actually possible to LOSE power on big NA builds if you have a high overlap cam and dont increase the compression because you'll bleed off your entire compression stroke.

You may be talking about boost impacting cylinder pressure, which it absolutely does, but boost does not change the compression ratio.

#47 ·
Not even reading through all of this... But as much as I wanted the eb turbo swap to work it just doesnt. As far as upgraded turbos the same problem will still exist. Look at the port size of the exhaust manifold. Its the size of quarter. Get properly sized exhaust manifolds for a turbo setup.

#48 ·
EB turbos are not a good option for the 3.7, they don't put out that much power and it wouldn't be cost effective. If you are looking to boost your 3.7, I highly suggest JM Performance. Jack the owner makes some great quality kits for a price you can't beat anywhere else. Plus the power his kits put down, can beat any other competitor.

#49 ·
Good low mileage/condition 11-17 V6 plus any power adder... even the JMP stuff is going to be in the same price range as a Coyote of the same year/same condition. Pick your poison.

#50 ·
For me going the turbo route was the best option instead of trading in. I plan to keep the turbo then down the road engine swap my mustang. I put too much into it already and I would lose a lot for just selling it and buying a 5.0. If someone wants to mod their v6 and it's stock, then yes I would agree in selling it and then modding a 5.0

#63 ·
Hey Voltwings, I have a dumped exhaust too! I get thumbs up from everybody! If you rev to 5500 rpm in 2nd gear, when you press in the clutch it backfires like a Toyota Supra!

Hey Voltwings! I'm buying the new S550 GT500 next year! Its supposed to be a V8 Ecoboost engine! Twin turbo and everything Ecoboost related! What do you think?

#68 ·
I’ll just go with Joey Fanguys’ TT kit when it’s available...

#70 ·
He’s using good aftermarket 54mm turbos with custom ex manifolds in the same placement as the turbos on a 3.5 ecoboost. Expected to be good for up to 700hp on a built 3.7 The problem with using oem EB turbos on the 3.7 was for such a free flowing, rev happy engine, they become a bottle neck as the rpm climbs. Which is why the guy who had them adapted to his car couldn’t get anymore than 350whp on pump gas, they’re too small.

I started this thread asking about the use of upgraded EB turbos, but never really got much of an answer and don’t really care anymore.

#71 ·
A single EB turbo can run 11's in the 1/4 mile! I don't understand why its being considered to small!

With 2 EB turbos in twin turbo form there is no way 3 cylinders would bottleneck the engines airflow! Someone is not being honest!

I hate all this EB hate and undermining!! Piat off in fact!

#78 ·
I agree......................................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.