Mustang Evolution Forum banner

So the ecoboost turbo swap on a 3.7 has been tried...

59K views 80 replies 26 participants last post by  ab_mach1 
#1 ·
And we see what the results are. On pump gas they can't push anymore than in the 350whp range, and then they choke up any higher than 6k rpm. So what about using aftermarket EB turbos? The innards are milled out for larger turbine wheels so they flow much better. I know they're not as cost effective at $2500 plus another $800 for the super six motor sport kit, but the available supercharger kits are still 6 grand.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Thoughts=sell and buy a 5.0 or an older GT500 or Terminator.

*Puts on flame suit*

Reactions: hfca
#3 ·
Not happening.

#4 ·
I have a hard time believing those cars can really only get 350 whp? The 3.7 breathes very well, so those turbos would have to be incredibly small to already be out of the efficiency range at 350 wheel...

If that really is the case, its probably going to be cheaper and easier to just go with a dedicated turbo kit like the JMP for example.

#18 · (Edited)
That's the problem, the engine breaths too good and revs too high for stock EB turbos. That was my concern when the guy with the 2015 3.7 came up with the idea and went through with it, and it turned true during the dyno runs. The 3.5's head design, flow rates, shorter rpm range and smaller displacement is tailored to the stock turbos, or the other way around... That 2015 3.7 was only able to break 400whp by using E85.

That's why I'm bringing up the use of upgraded EB turbos for retaining this concept because 1: It'll be very stealthy when just putting around, no obvious supercharger noise, and 2: Gobs of available torque starting as low as 2k rpm, way more than what the 5.0 can produce.

#7 · (Edited)
Nothing complex about a Procharger........
Think about it, depending on his finance terms when he bought the car he might owe lets say 5k hypothetically, he then sells it for what 13k, again hypothetically, which leaves him like 7k to put down on a new, if he doesn't want used, what 35k GT USD? A difference of around 28k to pay and he has a stock GT that he surely will mod (even more money.)
8k for something like a Procharger that can be bolted on in a weekend and give you roughly 475 is a sweet proposition, especially if his car has been problem free so far. Just my 2cents.
Btw the same can be said about someone wanting more than 500hp out of a 5oh....

LG G4

#9 ·
I don't understand why people throw so much money at V6's or Ecoboost 4's TBH. The cost is insane on any platform, but with the 4's and 6's, you pretty much blow up the MPG gains over a V8. Plus, 99% of these owners do exterior mods where besides the badge, look exactly the same as a GT. So, why do this? If you want more power, why not start with the best power platform? I just don't get it lol. and, I am NOT a V6 or 4 banger hater. I'm just talking with the really expensive power mods, like adding turbos and superchargers, or the completely stupid...engine swapping.

#11 · (Edited)
Whenever your adding big power to any stock motor there are always risks involved. You always have to look at it like it could fail and be prepared to fork over the $$$ to replace it.
If anyone is expecting 100% trouble free 150-250 extra hp on a stock motor they might get a *****ty surprise one day.
The 5oh is a great engine but there are still risks, likewise of the 3.7.

LG G4

#14 ·
Come on guys, this is hot rodding in its' simplest form...take a motor and mod it as far as you can. Kind of like taking an 85hp Ford flathead, spending $12k to make 315hp, taking a single carb'd 408 and making 650hp or 300hp+ 2.3l with a Esslinger mod'd head some 25 years ago...everyone should do this once in their life or put it on their bucket list. It's fun, frustrating, expensive and may or may not blowup in your face...IMHO

#15 ·
Thumbs up for Mister olerodder,
Come on guys, this is hot rodding in its' simplest form
Ronnie

Reactions: olerodder
#19 ·
I try to stay out of these, but Jesus we can sit there and ask why you are modding your V8, why didn't you get a GT500 or Terminator. The V8 Vs V6 or I4 battles are both foolish and childish, we all drive Mustangs and we all got our car to do what we wanted, no need to meet your Expectations or ask for your opinion to mod my car.

Reactions: ronnie948
#27 ·
Would you like to have a fast street machine Mustang??

Ya got A 3.7 V^ ????????
Ya want a screamer ??????
Ya still want great MPG and cheap insurance ????????????
Ya got the $$$$$$$$$ ?????????????????????????????
CFM PERFORMANCE
That is Central Florida Motorsports.
Ten second (streetable) Mustang 3.7 V6 that turns in the 10's
There are a few running arond my area and until the hood is popped, "NOBODY KNOWS"
Ronnie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVmPKCZYLYk

#32 ·
Ya got A 3.7 V^ ????????
Ya want a screamer ??????
Ya still want great MPG and cheap insurance ????????????
Ya got the $$$$$$$$$ ?????????????????????????????
CFM PERFORMANCE
That is Central Florida Motorsports.
Ten second (streetable) Mustang 3.7 V6 that turns in the 10's
There are a few running arond my area and until the hood is popped, "NOBODY KNOWS"
Ronnie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVmPKCZYLYk
Seen videos of their stuff in action. Not the infamous "we beat a z06 z6!" video but actual other ones from real owners... they are pretty damn impressive. All the benefits of the V6 and all that power on tap if needed... but... still just on par with a well sorted GT.

#28 ·
I believe that Livernois Motorsports was putting down 500HP at the crank with minor upgrades (tune, 93 octane, 3 bar MAP, downpipe, exhaust, plugs, and thermostat). I know Full-Race offers bigger turbos and better manifolds for more power while staying with the same turbo design. The stock turbos have limitations, but the whole 3.5 Ecoboost platform is plenty capable.

#29 ·
Crap I rod knocked my 400 motor in my 1977 trans am 3 or 4 times. I had to big of gear ....4.88! It would only take 7500 rpm so many times! 55 mph on the highway ....but what a hole shot! 3500 stall speed automatic! So who's scared of blowing up a motor to have a little fun?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#30 ·
:popcorn:

#33 ·
#35 ·
the only dyno we have is from TSS race and if you read his build thread he clearly states his car is stock and he used a gt exhaust with stock cats and res. not a full custom exhaust he used a stock gt exhaust and just adapted them to the turbos thats one reason hes limited in hp and rpm, My solution has been to port/gasket everything on my hotside upgrade the compressor wheels and use a full 3" exhaust no cats ported lower intake and meth injection will be on the dyno sometime this summer im shooting for 450 on the stock turbos but i can easily upgrade to larger turbos down the line once i get some decent turbo headers.

#38 ·
The reason they had to go to E85 was due to the compression ratio being higher than what pump 93 octane will allow. To achieve higher numbers you will have to either drop the compression ratio by using a different piston or figure out a direct injection setup for this motor. If we were to drop the compression ration to 9.5 or even 9 we could pump up the turbo and force more air into the 3.7 giving better numbers and still only use 93 octane.

#40 ·
Yeah damn VVT ppl... Solution for the 2V/4V 4.6L crowd is just a good set of blower cams and an intercooled KB and roll tho lol.

#42 ·
lower compression in an N/A motor will kill response, but for a non DI boosted motor the pay off of lowering the compression an allowing more air to enter the cylinder is much greater. in its current form the 3.7 at 11:1 compression can only handle a max boost of 8 psi before detonation destroys any possible gains, e85 can help push it to 10 psi but if we were to drop the compression to 8.5 or 9 we could run 18 - 20 psi. 1 compression point is worth about 3% power and each psi of boost you add give 3.8%, by dropping from 11 to 8.5 - 9 we will see about a 10% power loss, but with boost up to 20 psi we will gain we are looking at around 467 hp, out of the 300 hp 3.7. those are above 5.0 numbers, so compression in a static sense ( Natural asparation) lowering compression is not a great thing, but when we are talking boost (cramming more air into the same space) allowing us to push more air in to the cylinder will create more power.

#43 ·
Sorry, but it doesnt work like that. 1 psi is not a measure of airflow (and therefore, power) because every single possible compressor (different superchargers and turbos) will have a different CFM associated with "1 psi." There may be some situation where the information you have stated is true, but for the most part it wont be.

Again, with a sophisticated VVT motor, 10.5 compression is nothing. Hell, half the factory boosted cars coming out now are running 9.5-10+.

#44 ·
Wtf information recycling like crazy there... lmao. Also bad information recycling...

#45 ·
that is due to the boosted motors using direct injection which the 3.7 is not. VVT is a great feature but it just adjusts the cam timing, and bleeding off compression is a loss of power in itself. at 10 psi of boost in a 10:1 static motor you are looking at a compression close to 17:1 which is why they went to e85 to stave off detonation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.