Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Spark Plug Service

3K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  big show 98 
#1 ·
What are you guys paying to get the spark plugs changed on your 3.7s? What mileage did you do it at also

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 ·
2 hours? what? lol. anyway, I want to check mine too, I'm at 22k now

Reactions: Renownedd
#5 ·
but he asked what people pay do it... lol

#6 ·
Yea I'm asking with the plugs and the service how much are you guys paying to get the work done. I know suspension installs like the back of my hand but when it goes into spark plugs I have no clue where to even begin lol. I'm at 59k miles

#8 ·
whoa. you guys travel a lot. my 14 is almost 22k lol

#14 ·
jesus christ seriously? just to put spark plugs in? good god. I'd rather learn how to take the manifold off and do it myself.

Reactions: Renownedd
#17 ·
There are a few tutorials around on how to change them, it's not hard to do at all but the intake manifold does have to be removed to get to passenger side plugs. The driver side plugs are in plain view easy to get to. All it takes is basic wrenches. As for the miles you should be fine. I'm at 94k miles and still on original plugs but will change them soon. These cars come with platinum plugs which are good for up 100k miles. Several months ago I pulled out the driver side plugs just to see what they looked like. They were in fine condition.

Reactions: ActorMike
#19 ·
Of course it would be best to do it yourself or have a friend do it if that's a possibility. But if not I would take it to a quality shop and pay the price especially for an item like this that is a every 100k miles item. Better then saving 50-100 dollars and having issues with them not doing the work correctly.

#21 ·
That's how I feel

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

I would first determine what kind of plugs you have which will determine how much you will pay for parts at least, copper are the worst my brothers 08 had those in them from the factory, and at 100k they were pretty much shot we just replaced them our selves and it took about 1 hour and 30mins maybe more but we did the plugs and wires. If you have platinum or iridium plugs which are the better and best they theoretically will perform better and last longer but are a little more expensive autozone usually has some good mail in rebates for them I got 6 iridium autolite brand for like 2 bucks a piece when I changed them in my Pontiac a couple months ago when they were normally priced like $7 each and my brother got a $10 gift card when he purchased 6 iridium for his 08 mustang. When I replaced mine in my pontiac at about 140k miles they were totally shot I would say I was driving on 5 cylinders for awhile now. The symptoms listed above by the other people are accurate in my experience. I would also replace the wires if your willing to pay the extra bucks but maybe thats just me it is not absolutely necessary. If your relatively handy with tools and know a thing or two about engines you and a friend should be able to do it pretty easily and save some big bucks on labor cost, there are videos on youtube that should help.

I got a 2011 v6 with 14.5k miles on it :dance::D

Any links you can drop for those types of plugs ?

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

$280.00 is not a bad price at all when you take into account the price of intake gaskets, plugs and labor. Labor alone is probably $110 an hour or higher. Recon stated 2 hrs. He would know. That's $200 right there. I do my own work but if I didn't I'd pay 280.

The guy that's doing it for me is a master tech/head tech at a ford near me

#22 ·
Pretty much this, with shops around here charging $80-120/hr for labor, $280 by what the book tells them (2hrs as noted by recon), seems pretty reasonable.

#25 ·
these should work for a 2013 v6 they have a mail in rebate where you can get a $10 AutoZone gift card too

Autolite XP Iridium Spark Plug XP5363 - Read Reviews on Autolite XP Iridium #XP5363

these are all the options at autozone.com for a 2013 v6 the quality of plug goes from worst to best, copper platinum double platinum then iridium and I've even seen double iridium once this may help explain the difference https://www.carid.com/articles/types-of-spark-plugs.html

Best Spark Plug Parts for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

something else which is very important to check the gap I bought plugs in the past that were supposedly pre-gapped at .06 and they were not

#26 ·
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Today I experienced the idle getting progressively worse. It would sit at 750 then drop down to 500 and the car seemed like it had trouble keeping the idle at the 750

This post has been deleted
#29 ·
@Kristian

You saw what I had to do to my stang. I also posted on your other thread about rough idle issues. If you were close to me man I would do it for a 6 pack of beers and to chill with a fellow stang owner. Too bad :(

Like I said to you in the other thread check the driver side plugs first. If those look bad then the passenger side will be just as bad. Its a pain in the arss but doing something yourself is an achievement in my mind. Plus you get to learn about your stang.

Good luck!

#30 ·
Thanks for the input I do appreciate it. I think I might do the driver side first like you mentioned. Would've been nice to hang out with a new stang friend

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Shop labor hours are astronomical. I just paid $700 for a new rear main seal and trans install on the Grand Cherokee. ...and I provided the New transmission, gaskets, and fluids. All of the cost was in labor only.

In hindsight I should have replaced the transmission myself. I have the tools. I didn't want to lay on the ground
to swap the transmission.

I basically paid NOT to do an easy job.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

I second this.

I understand where the price comes in I work at a shop also but we mainly do wheels tires and suspension

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

^^^ might want to clean your MAF sensor.

Pardon my ignorance. How can I do this ? Rather try this first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.