Mustang Evolution Forum banner

New Tread

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  fallenx89 
#1 ·
I know guys yet another tire thread, also sorry this is a long and thorough post. Just wanted to get some personalized info to help me get a set of tires for my stang. I daily my car and it will probably never see the strip so was wondering if Michelin Pilot Super Sports would be too much tire for my car, really just want a nice street tire thats good in rain as well, the stock 215/65 17s are horrible in rain and with the way car is set up now. Mods are listed below. Live in Texas so can probably get away with summers all year, but if not have a few all seasons listed. Have a few options I'm interested in going with the Super sports the Pilot A/S3+, Continental DWS06, Continental Extreme ContactSport, BF Goodrich Comp 2A/S, and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 which I found out are discontinued so I'm trying to get info to decide if I should grab those before they are gone. Will be moving from stock 17s to staggered 18s or 19s depends on wheels. Looking at SVE Drifts and Dark Stainless AMRs. Thanks for the help in advance. Also guy at firestone said 275/35 19x9.5 square would be too much, can't those fit in the front?

#3 ·
I have the continental dws 06, 235/50/18 in front and 255/45/18 in rear. I used to have the older version the dws and the dws 06 are better. The car rides smoother, stops quicker, takes corners and handles better compared to the old version dws.

#4 ·
You can't go wrong with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Just a great all around tire that is great in the rain and nice and quite on a nice drive.
I'm about to put them on my 2012 and can't wait to get the noise making, hydro-planing Pirelli's off my car.
Go to the tire rack site and you will find a wealth of information on tires.
Plus, My Opinion and I'm sticking to it. Stick with the size tires your Mustang came on it from the factory if your not going to be racing.
Ronnie

#5 ·
I am running Toyo Extenzas and love them.

I will admit that I am a Toyo fan. Everything I have has Toyo tires except the Grand Cherokee. It has Michelin.

As for tire size; if you have factory wheels, keep the factory tire size. You will get longer life, and better performance using the size the wheel is designed for.

#6 ·
Designed, many oem sizes for newer mustangs. 18,19&20 with 8",9" and 10" wheels oem right? I use wider wheels for better cornering ability, staggered is for drag use, or looks.

#8 ·
I put The Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 on my car in the spring. Tire shop said they would be better in the rain than the G- Force spot comp 2s. After being caught in a surprise shower during our spring cruise I can say that they are pretty good in the rain. They seem to be quiet on the highway for what that's worth. Hard to hear over the exhaust anyway. They also ride pretty smooth and straight. Have hankooks on the wife's accord and they seem to be wearing well.

#9 ·
I had these tires on my mazdaspeed3. They're a good every day tire, probably awesome on your wife's car, but they're sadly not much of a performance tire -_-

My ms3 weighs 3200 lbs and i had 255s on a 9" rim and 280 whp. Lots of tire on a car that light with that low of WHP. My friends and I went out and hit some back roads for fun one day and i was able to over heat the tires. I start with my pressures around 32 all around and when i realized the car was pushing really bad i pulled over to check and i was at 41 psi all around. The tires just got super greasy and lost all grip (over the course of... maybe 30 some ought minutes), even at the tame speeds you're able to hit on public roads.

#10 ·
I can't really talk in terms of thinner tires, but for 305's I LOVE my Nitto NT555G2's. Great tire in the dry and wet.

The indys were discontinued but were brought back under different models. They have some pretty good A/S firehawks from what I have read.

Continental makes some great tires. I highly recommend them, but they are a bit pricey if you aren't looking for extreme performance. The DWS06 is an AWESOME A/S tire. Performs great for what it is, and has a nice 50K mile warranty. Personally having tested the ExtremeContact Sport...They are overkill for what you need, and at a pricepoint over the MPSS. We tested them at my brother's shop on their 2016 Shelby before they released. Phenomenal tire, but I wouldn't spend the extra cash over a MPSS for it on a V6. In a 275/35 it looks to be about 20-25% increase in price. Hell for my 305's they wanted over 420 a tire.

On the Mustang6G forums the BFG Comps have phenomenal reviews all over the tire section for A/S's. I'd say any of these choices are solid.

FWIW You can definitely run a 9.5 on the front. You'll probably need to put in rack stops, but it can be done.

#11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided upon the michelin pilot sport a/s 3+, but now trying to decide what wheels I want, between SVE drifts staggered 18s or 19s all around since I think I'll be ok with 275/35s front and back, or the 18s 255/45 and 285/40. Also was looking into TSW wheels any thoughts between the Stowes or Jaramas.

#12 ·
If you daily it, and have no intention of the strip/tracking it...go squared. You'll keep the ability to rotate your tires. You cannot do that on a staggered setup. Especially with tires that have a good warranty on them. I believe most manufacturers require rotation for their warranty and staggered setups void that. Big consideration for a daily.

The TSW's come pretty highly recommended as they shave a fair bit of weight over the stock wheels.

#16 ·
I am also looking at new tires/wheels and was debating between Pilot Super Sports or Gforce comp 2 a/s and since I as well will most likely never track it I am probably going with the Gforce they have better tread wear rating and probably have better wet traction and I have seen/heard a lot of good about the gforce the pilot super sports are kind of overkill imo unless you have nothing but money to spend lol

#17 ·
Michillen makes a phenomenal tire, but like you said, it just depends on if you feel like paying for it. I bought a set of pilot sports once and they were probably the best tires i have ever owned... that was about 5 years ago and i havent felt like paying that much for tires since haha.

#19 ·
So got my tires and wheels installed today. Went with 255/45 & 285/40 18s Michelin PS3+s with the TSW Jaramas. Will definitely upload pics after I wash my car tomorrow. Just want to say thanks guys for the input. Here'sd two pics of where I'm going with my car. Next will be the rear louvers.

#20 ·
Love the wheels and that is one beautiful Mustang.
Ronnie

#21 ·
Just got finished washing the car here's some pics. Under hood pic is from Feb.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.