Mustang Evolution Forum banner

"Service Advancetrac warning"

14K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  FastFord19 
#1 · (Edited)
So on my way home tonight car started acting funny, like wanting to pull left and right erratically along with some thumping from the brake pedal, which was I guess causing the the braking system to react, and a light came on then off a few times in pretty quick succession which then stayed on permanently and the message service advance trac.
Got it home shut it off went in to grab my tuner and there is no code? Started the car up and nothing, no light or message. Anyone experiance this or know what it is before it goes into the stealership? Something was definitely screwed up even if tge message and light is off now.
thx.

LG G4

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
possible sensor going out. I would wait before bringing it in unless I was going to get it comped. Mine has glitched out a few times 1 or 2x with the system coming on for no reason and 2 or 3x with just warning lights. Intermittent problems are tough to diagnose.

#4 ·
Like Mud said, could be a sensor going bad. Could your wreck have something to do with it?

#8 ·
yes it did. you could feel it pulsing them on/off. It seemed like the stability control (not the traction control) was activating. I was doing 30-40 in a straight line It did that for 200 feet? then I stopped and it stopped. 1x for sure 1x maybe. The light with just an error msg has happened too but other than lights there were no other symptoms those times. The 1st time I stopped/ shut off car and it went away, the 2nd time (just recently) I kept going and after a mile or two the lights went off.

Call me Mud.........

My guess on mine (low mileage toy) is computer glitch.....

#9 · (Edited)
Mud, when it happened last night I was going aroung 50kmh with my son, and when it started to kick in fully it got me pretty scared to the point where I had to pull over and figure out what the hell was happening, I couldn't imagine that happing on the highway!!!!!
I did crash the car in November and maybe that has something to do with it, I just wouldn't know where to begin looking. Whats the milage on your toy, mine only has like 32k on her or like 25000 miles.
Btw thanks to eveyone's imput!!!

LG G4

#10 ·
1. Without fully disabling advance track in the tune, it is always active. Even if you push the button to turn it "off," and even if you hold the button to turn it "off," it will still be active, and react based on how bad out of whack you are getting.

2. A lot of factors go into the advance track calculations, I really have no idea where you would want to start looking. The only thing I can think of is the wheel speed sensors on each of the rear wheels. It acts just like any cam sensor, crank sensor, etc... its just a magnet and a tooth set so the computer can keep track of wheel speed. That's all I got :/

#11 · (Edited)
Is that something Bama could do, or is that more of a pesonal touch.

As for the speed sensors I'll start there, as there is no way I want this happening on the highway, especially with my family in the car.
Ill Google to see if I can find some pics online and how to determine if they need replacing. Ugh

LG G4

#13 ·
Is that something Bama could do, or is that more of a pesonal touch.

As for the speed sensors I'll start there, as there is no way I want this happening on the highway, especially with my family in the car.
Ill Google to see if I can find some pics online and how to determine if they need replacing. Ugh

LG G4
Umm.... maybe, but you probably wouldn't want them to. My comment was more in relation to the concern about driving with advance track off. Even if you turn it "off" with the button, it will still step in and save the car if It needs to. Disabling the all traction control in the tune lights your dash up like a Christmas tree however.

35K miles 2012 V6. Mine hasn't done the brakes application in 2-3? yrs.

I doubt bad wheel sensors would activate brakes. I believe that also needs input from some type of yaw sensor....idk in truth but that would be my guess.
My only thought would be if one or more sensors got jacked up and are reading different speeds... I suppose that would be more of an ABS thing than just a straight application of brakes though.

#14 ·
yes...

ABS = will regulate brakes
TC will apply brakes/cut gas?
VSC? will apply one brake to get you back on what it thinks your intended line is. I believe these issues are the VSC (or whatever Ford calls it)

looking over what I just typed I wonder if one wheel sensor was going bad it would apply brakes because it thought you were loosing traction ie TC

check sensor connections...they'll be on the wheels. clean them if they are dirty. If you are an experimenter (I would) disconnect one and see how it drives.

#18 ·
yes...

ABS = will regulate brakes
TC will apply brakes/cut gas?
VSC? will apply one brake to get you back on what it thinks your intended line is. I believe these issues are the VSC (or whatever Ford calls it)

looking over what I just typed I wonder if one wheel sensor was going bad it would apply brakes because it thought you were loosing traction ie TC

check sensor connections...they'll be on the wheels. clean them if they are dirty. If you are an experimenter (I would) disconnect one and see how it drives.
Close, I believe its DSC (dynamic stability control?) I may be confusing it with my mazda though. At any rate, I agree with your statement.

Dumb question, any rough location lol.

LG G4
you'll see teeth on the wheel hub, just follow that until you see a sensor maybe 1/4" from the teeth. If I remember correctly, there's around the 9:00 position?

With my advance trac off my car spins and acts like an old foxbody. With everything on with the stock tune it barely chirps 2nd. Maybe Mpt turned it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
They didn't, your dash would be lit up like a Christmas tree, it would be very obvious.

#23 ·
#24 · (Edited)
:So here's a little update:
Took the car out yesterday around town, no highway, and all was good until I was about 50 feet from my house and it started again, brakes chattering with the warning light coming on in spurts, like I was spinning in snow.
I decided to continue driving it and its definitely the brakes being engaged by the system to the point were I would try to accelerate and the car was applying the brakes, I could smell them burning, still the skidding warning light flashing but not always on.
Finally it stayed on and the advancetrac light came on also so I pulled over and checked for a code, nothing?!?!
So I shut it off and re started it and no lights, held the advacetrac button for 5 seconds and turned everything off, the being pissed, beat the living **** out of it, to my surprise it drove fine, no issues. got to a stop sign and re engaged the advancetrac and sure enough it almost immediately started acting up again. ugh
Wheels are coming off today to check for any obvious signs off sensor damage. I try cleaning them also with some brake cleaner at the same time.
Update to follow, thanks again everyone, and keep the ideas coming as this is so annoying lol.

LG G4

#27 ·
So I took the wheels off and cleaned the sensors best I could.
Took it out for a spin and all was good until I was pulling up to a stop sign and again abs kicks in with the skiddy light flashing on the dash a couple of times and brake pedal going nuts for a second. ?
Calling the stealership Monday and gonna have to take it in the butt?

LG G4

#28 ·
So a little update to anyone who might encounter this problem.
So for the last month I've been driving with the advance trac off, and the car hasn't done it at all, it seems that it does have the ability to shut everything off .
If I don't turn off the advance trac fully within a few minutes the car starts to apply the brakes to various wheels while driving normally.
Imo this should be some kind of safty issue and be covered under some sort of tsb or recall.
Its not a pleasant feeling when all of a sudden your car starts pulling from left to right as it starts applying the brakes, just imangine on the highway!
Anyways just thought I'd share with you guys.

LG G4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.