Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Synthetic Oil or Factory Recommended

7K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  ronnie948 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 with 75k miles. Any thoughts on using synthetic oil?

#39 ·
Never heard of a WIX issue, anything can have a defect tho. There are a LOT of Fram horror stories tho.

#42 ·
FYI, FRAM probably sells 100x plus more filters to anyone else. It is quite conceivable that they have had a lot more failures yet have a lower failure rate which means the probability of another brand having a failure could be higher. They can't be as bad as folks make them out to be or the OEMs wouldn't spec them for their house brand filters.

Just like the brand of oil you use the brand of filter you use is inconsequential in the long term health of your engine. Just change it at the prescribed intervals and your engine will live a long and healthy life.

#41 ·
I don't know what my car used to run on before I bought it. I used Motorcraft fully synthetic once and I wasn't really pleased, but for the past two oil changes I have been using Royal Purple oil filter (20-500 for my 14 3.7L) and RedLine 5W-20 fully synthetic oil.

Ya a gallon of the RL oil is about $50 and I buy two jugs at a time. I don't go past 5k between oil changes.... if I had to push it, I would go 7K but no more than that. I never listen to manufacturers that say OH YOU CAN GO 10K! between oil changes.... hey F you buddy lol you gonna buy me a new engine when I hit 100K miles? lol

#43 ·
My friend has a 2007 silverado 5.3 With 280k on it. He has used fram filters since day one. Never had an issue. I'm a firm believer in the motorcraft and wix filters nothing but good luck with them. My son has an 05 silverado 5.3 that I use AC Delco with gtx edge synthetic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#45 ·
In 40 years of driving I have had 3 Filters fail, Purolator had a hole in the side after 1500 miles in my 72 Ranchero with a 351 Cleveland in it. That was in 1980.
Valvoline, long before they switched to Purolator filters blew off the car about 3 miles from the oil change place, base was still on the motor can and filter media in the middle of Valley View Blvd in La Mirada California that was probably 1987 or 88 since it was on my Dodge Dakota.
Wix, Filter collapsed inside the causing oil starvation and damage to the motor before it was shut off, this was on a 1693 Cat diesel in a 75 Peterbuilt, Wix or the oil change place payed for the Engine to the tune of about $20,000 and that truck is still running this day (My friend owns it in California) and is still using Wix Filters.
I still will not use Mobile 1 either, I had changed my 2003 F150 5.4 over to it at 15,000 miles and it used a quart ever 500 miles, started smoking and had a start up knock, which all but the smoking stopped when I went to Valvoline full synthetic and even the smoking slowed down to ever 5th or 6th start up.
Both my V6 Mustang and 6.2L F 150 use Motorcraft 5W-20 Semi Synthetic, no problem with either.

#46 ·
Motorcraft synthetic blend is good oil. I have 'read' Purolator, makes Motorcraft oil filters for Ford.

#47 ·
I started using Mobil 1 back when it first became readily available in the early 70s. Since then I would guess 90% of the synthetic oil I have purchased has been Mobil 1. I only use synthetic in my turbo cars and since 85 when I got my first one I have accumulated about 750,000 miles on them.

Since about 2000 I have been using synthetic in all my vehicles. Mobil 1, and the few times I have gotten other brands, have served me well.

#48 ·
Just stay away from the cheap bottom barrel Fram filters.

#49 · (Edited)
#52 ·
Moble 1 oil and Wix filter. Links below are good comparisons and definitely count as doing your homework.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc&feature=share

Not really sure what this proves? You care way more about how your oil acts when hot than cold, and by changing the first number (10, 5, 0) you can basically pick oil that will handle temperatures where you are located, none of which are probably ever -40c... In my opinion this was pointless.

#50 · (Edited)
#51 · (Edited)
#53 ·
I suppose any remark from you or I would be completely pointless unless we had the exact or within a couple degree range of ambient temperature of the person asking along with a large number of other variables...

However, the point I was making was that each of the oils was rated at the same weight but each reacted differently to the climate it was subjected to. You can extrapolate, with some latitude of course, that the other end of the spectrum, heat, would show similar variance in the viscosity of each brand.

So taking the videos, and our thinking beyond the superficial "I don't live North of Alaska so this doesn't apply to me.." there are some lessons for us all here. Although those lessons are not Earth shattering, they aren't altogether pointless either.

#54 ·
I suppose any remark from you or I would be completely pointless unless we had the exact or within a couple degree range of ambient temperature of the person asking along with a large number of other variables...

However, the point I was making was that each of the oils was rated at the same weight but each reacted differently to the climate it was subjected to. You can extrapolate, with some latitude of course, that the other end of the spectrum, heat, would show similar variance in the viscosity of each brand.

So taking the videos, and our thinking beyond the superficial "I don't live North of Alaska so this doesn't apply to me.." there are some lessons for us all here. Although those lessons are not Earth shattering, they aren't altogether pointless either.

I am no chemist, but I disagree with that; and just to be clear I am interested in having a discussion, not an argument, so I hope it doesn't come across that way.

I really don't think you can take an oil out of its intended operating range, and expect to pull useful data from it. These oils were designed to operate and perform between 180 and 220 degrees give or take. I really just don't see how pouring it out of the bottle at -40* is useful?

Can we expect that the thickest oil when cold will be the thickest oil when hot? I'd say no, because that would make the wal mart oil the supposed "best." I'm pretty sure the additives and compounds in each oil will react differently at any given temp, but really all that matters is how they behave when at operating temperature...

#62 ·
I'd have to do some crazy digging on the Corral for the thread and honestly the pictures were probably photobucket hosted so you won't even be able to see them now but this guy had what looked like a 100% legit and documented engine failure from a Fram orange death can filter.

#61 ·
Royal Purple

My car had 33,000 miles on it my other 22,000 (I have a 2014 stang, vert and a 2001 PT cruiser) At the first time I changed the oil I went with Royal Purple, both cars picked up 5mpg and seem to run fine. However BACK in the day (I know times have changed) I had a 73 mach one with 50,000 miles swithed to syntheics (STP made thheir own brand at the time) and it leaked like a sieve.

#63 ·
If you dig enough you will very likely find an example of an engine failure related to every brand of oil filter.

In my 40+ years of driving the only filter I have ever had fail was a Wix. The can was not swagged to the base properly and oil was pissing out. Luckily I am anal enough that I always check for leaks after changing my oil and averted disaster by seeing the leak before driving off.

#67 ·
I just go to my Ford dealer where I bought my Mustang. I always request my guy ( Willie) to do my service. He is the only one that ever touched my Mustang and he does a great job for me. I use Motorcraft full synthetic oil and the Motorcraft Filter. I even replaced the battery when needed at my dealer.
Willie rotates the tires and refills with nitrogen if needed ( Rare - usually not needed. )
He checks everything on my Mustang and Torques the wheels with a Torque wrench. ( Not an Air Tool set to "WAY TOO MUCH")
I get a 10% discount by belonging to the Daytona Beach Mustang Club and more off with the coupons Ford sends me. My bill is usually about $59.00 after the discounts and well worth it to me to have the good service I get.
Laying under my car in a Hot Florida Garage may be fun for some, but not for me (((ANYMORE)))
I used to enjoy it but found a good service garage and a great touchless car wash is way better now-a-days for me. ( I'm old and not as healthy as I once was.)
I still really enjoy my Mustang and plan on keeping HIM a long long time.
Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.