Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Synthetic Oil or Factory Recommended

7K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  ronnie948 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 with 75k miles. Any thoughts on using synthetic oil?

#3 ·
#10 ·
I use Mobil 1 and a Motorcraft filter. Both bought from Walmart for around $45 :)

#14 ·
everyone says royal purple is so good etc but nobody explains why. I use mobil 1. never really had a problem. I don't use Fram filters anymore though. my last filter out of nowhere sprung a leak and oil was leaking everywhere! not sure what happened, but this time I used Motorcraft and it's fine.. so Motorcraft from here on out for me now.

#15 ·
and I'm actually coming up on my change time now. it's never 5k miles (which shush, I know synthetic is like 8 to 10 but idc lol) and it's always a year. I changed it last August, and I'll be changing it probably next month. but not even 5k miles on it since last August lol

#16 ·
I used royal purple when i had my gears installed a few months ago. I'm usually back and forth between Castro edge and Mobil 1 synthetic and always a motorcraft filter. Even used motorcraft on my wife's old 2012 buick lacrosse same part number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#17 ·
I bought it because it was purple lol, it was also on sale both times. Synthetic oil is synthetic oil, even if RP is or is not better then the rest its still excellent.
Who knows with so many different studies floating around, Imo if its a well known branded oil like Mobile/Rp/Amsoil ect its going to be good enough in 99.9% of cars.
There really is no wrong full synthetic oil.
LG G4

#19 ·
I bought it because it was purple lol, it was also on sale both times. Synthetic oil is synthetic oil, even if RP is or is not better then the rest its still excellent.
Who knows with so many different studies floating around, Imo if its a well known branded oil like Mobile/Rp/Amsoil ect its going to be good enough in 99.9% of cars.
There really is no wrong full synthetic oil.
LG G4

Not exactly, there is no strict definition to what makes an oil "synthetic." The base stock the oil starts with is what determines how good of an oil it actually is. Royal purple charges the same price as Amsoil, Redline, Motul... which are all arguably the best oils you can buy, but looking at a used oil analysis you can see that royal purple does not have any better shear or wear resistance than the lower grade synthetics you can buy at autozone.

Royal Purple is arguably one of the worst values as far as actual protection per dollar goes. Your final statement is certainly true as it definitely wont hurt your engine, but you're paying a lot for mediocrity which is the frustrating part.

#18 ·
Mine sits through 80% of the winter months. I drive it when I can, but it's usually short trips with spirited driving. I usually go to the track a few times during the summer. I might get 2k to 5k miles per year. That's how I justify using synthetic on mine. I normally go with Royal Purple 5w-30 and a Motorcraft oil filter (sometimes K&N oil filter) and change it twice per yer. My next change, I've decided to try Amsoil 5w-30, so I need to buy it soon. I can't say I've had any problems at all with Royal Purple. Seems like there are a lot of haters out there lol. TBH, you should be fine with conventional or synthetic, as long as you stick with changing it 3k miles or 5k miles respectively. I call BS on any oil that says it's okay to change it at 15k miles or more lol. The main reason I say that is that many will forget to check it when it's such a long interval and run the risk of the level getting low and not knowing it. That's just my opinion anyway.

#20 ·
Mine sits through 80% of the winter months. I drive it when I can, but it's usually short trips with spirited driving. I usually go to the track a few times during the summer. I might get 2k to 5k miles per year. That's how I justify using synthetic on mine. I normally go with Royal Purple 5w-30 and a Motorcraft oil filter (sometimes K&N oil filter) and change it twice per yer. My next change, I've decided to try Amsoil 5w-30, so I need to buy it soon. I can't say I've had any problems at all with Royal Purple. Seems like there are a lot of haters out there lol. TBH, you should be fine with conventional or synthetic, as long as you stick with changing it 3k miles or 5k miles respectively. I call BS on any oil that says it's okay to change it at 15k miles or more lol. The main reason I say that is that many will forget to check it when it's such a long interval and run the risk of the level getting low and not knowing it. That's just my opinion anyway.
Well, since you're about to run Amsoil and they advertise a 10k interval, do a used oil analysis after however many miles you feel is appropriate and post the results. It will be interesting to see how much life is actually left in the oil vs what they claim.

#21 ·
Awesome lol........ Well at least it was on sale so no harm done because its really expensive at regular price.
And why does it not stay purple once its been in for a couple hundred miles? It went from purple in the bottle, to a light almost clear, then a regular lights brown color?
I paid for purple, I want ****ing purple lol.

LG G4

#22 ·
it's prob the same dye they use for heating oil....that is purple and woe be the trucker found with purple diesel in his tank. Inspections will stick it and if it's purple it was sold as heating fuel and has significantly lower taxes (US anyways) than vehicle diesel fuel.

ain't you supposed to be fixing your car?

#31 · (Edited)
No not another one of these...

On a regular schedule the Motorcraft stuff is fine.

More than fine.

You need to worry about other types/weights when you get into superchargers or built engines etc... etc...

More important to worry about the filter. Motorcraft is fine there as well. WIX will be your best bet which is a Napa Gold (napa is rebranded wix) or just order from Amazon or Rockauto. Never ever EVER use a Fram orange.

Wal Mart is like $17.99 for a 5 quart jug of Motorcraft and they carry Motorcraft filters too. If not... Amazon. Its all free shipping if you have Prime. I get all my oil/filters from them, arrives on my patio without me having to do a damn thing but click on it and the price is right.

#32 ·
i used a fram one that was gold...and the seal completely failed. so yeah, F fram.
motorcraft one is good.

i actually put the mobil 1 synthetic high milage in last summer only bc that's what was on sale and F it, it can't hurt. i'll do regular this time lol but still synthetic

#35 ·
I buy the big gulp of Mobil 1 full syn and a Mobil 1 filter. Been doing that since the second oil change (since I got the first one "free" at the stealership). I usually wind up changing about every 8k miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.