Body/paint repair advice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Body/paint repair advice?

Sorry -- didn't realize the pictures would be rotated...

I love my 2012 V6, but it does have a few issues. I figure that I might as well fix whatever 'fit and finish' things I can before spending more money on other mechanical or aesthetic parts. The car has a minor dent on the back right corner (not sure what the panel is called) that has been bugging me a lot. I think it might be tricky to fix because it is right on the corner. There are also the usual swirls in the paint that come from being driven daily year round.

I also have the bubbling hood paint that is just barely visible from the edge of the hood. It has just begun to 'infect' and break around the very edge. I have heard that nothing but a new hood will ever truly fix this issue, so I might have to eventually buy a fiberglass hood from Cervini when the peeling becomes unbearable.

I have attached two pictures of the dent to this post. I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dent1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	239545   Click image for larger version

Name:	dent2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	239553  

campdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Honestly it doesn't even really look like a dent. I would think you could touch it up and maybe realign the bumper mounts and it would be good as new.

For what it's worth my car is new and never been hit and the body panels don't align perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My advice on the bubbling hood is to scrape off those bubbles before it gets worse. The corrosion can only happen inside the paint and not exposed to air. You will find them to be filled with white aluminum oxide. Clean that off with water. Now the corrosion has stopped completely and aluminum cannot rust or corrode when exposed to air. You can touch up paint the area up later if you wish. I did this 3 years ago on on My 2012 Red candy Pony hood before it got to the top and it has not returned,
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would use some 3M scratch remover and see if it removes anything. Looks like something has rubbed and left paint. Had a bad scratch on our 2014 Edge (wife drives it). I thought the scratch would have to be touched up with paint. Got out my 3M scratch remover and it removed every bit of the scratch. Great stuff
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by campdaddy View Post
Sorry -- didn't realize the pictures would be rotated...

I love my 2012 V6, but it does have a few issues. I figure that I might as well fix whatever 'fit and finish' things I can before spending more money on other mechanical or aesthetic parts. The car has a minor dent on the back right corner (not sure what the panel is called) that has been bugging me a lot. I think it might be tricky to fix because it is right on the corner. There are also the usual swirls in the paint that come from being driven daily year round.

I also have the bubbling hood paint that is just barely visible from the edge of the hood. It has just begun to 'infect' and break around the very edge. I have heard that nothing but a new hood will ever truly fix this issue, so I might have to eventually buy a fiberglass hood from Cervini when the peeling becomes unbearable.

I have attached two pictures of the dent to this post. I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

If that was mine I would definitely get that repaired before it gets worse and starts to rust and peel if you care about this car. I would think something like that would only cost a few $100 from a decent body shop. If you have the skills you could do it yourself for maybe less with some sanding and bondo and paint, the hard part is making it blend with the rest of the panel. I would take it to a body shop personally.
Renownedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #6

I have almost the exact same issues, did you end up fixing it? What did you do about it?
SDV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDV6 View Post
I have almost the exact same issues, did you end up fixing it? What did you do about it?
No I haven't fixed it yet. As far as the hood goes-- it makes no sense to repaint it unless I trusted myself to do a good job. I don't want to pay someone to paint it only to have it peel again a few months later. I think I'm going to end up getting a new hood. The rear panel is also tricky. If it were a dent anywhere else, I could handle it myself. However I'm not sure how to push out this one. It looks like I could push out from inside the panel (just above the tail light), but I think it will end up being much more complicated.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I would use some 3M scratch remover and see if it removes anything. Looks like something has rubbed and left paint. Had a bad scratch on our 2014 Edge (wife drives it). I thought the scratch would have to be touched up with paint. Got out my 3M scratch remover and it removed every bit of the scratch. Great stuff
Thanks for the advice! It is scratched, but the metal itself is also pushed in a bit. It isn't really a panel gap issue. If you look closely right next to the small white scratch you can see the indent. The very corner above the taillight is pushed in to the point of looking flat like it does in the picture. It isn't super noticeable until you look at the taillights. The paint peeled off the bent corner as it was pushed inward I am assuming. Any ideas on how I could fix this dent? I would like to push it out from the other side of the panel because it is so small, but I think that is wishful thinking.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 AM   #9

Quote:
No I haven't fixed it yet. As far as the hood goes-- it makes no sense to repaint it unless I trusted myself to do a good job. I don't want to pay someone to paint it only to have it peel again a few months later. I think I'm going to end up getting a new hood. The rear panel is also tricky. If it were a dent anywhere else, I could handle it myself. However I'm not sure how to push out this one. It looks like I could push out from inside the panel (just above the tail light), but I think it will end up being much more complicated.
Yeah the paint is annoying, i have a few scratches that are really bothering me because i like the car to look clean, even though they're barely visible. The previous owner had a rear window tint gone bad and it looks horrific. I can't wait to retint it (athough it does get expensive considering i have to remove the previous one). Get yourself a more aggressive hood, might as well right?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDV6 View Post
Yeah the paint is annoying, i have a few scratches that are really bothering me because i like the car to look clean, even though they're barely visible. The previous owner had a rear window tint gone bad and it looks horrific. I can't wait to retint it (athough it does get expensive considering i have to remove the previous one). Get yourself a more aggressive hood, might as well right?
My windows are tinted thankfully. Otherwise I'd be baking alive in seconds inside a black car. It is funny how instantly the interior of the car feels like a sauna and then an oven after shutting it down. The paint on my front bumper is intact, but bumpy and rough as heck from all the crap hitting it. I was thinking of getting a Cervini Cobra R style hood. I like how it has a little form to it but nothing that sticks out as much as a 4" cowl hood.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 AM   #11

Quote:
The paint on my front bumper is intact, but bumpy and rough as heck from all the crap hitting it. I was thinking of getting a Cervini Cobra R style hood. I like how it has a little form to it but nothing that sticks out as much as a 4" cowl hood.
4" cowl hood looks glorious on Mustangs but the Cervini Cobra R style hood looks great too. I only recently bought my car so mods are gonna be coming verrrry slowly over time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang