Mustang Evolution Forum banner

throttle body learning reset?

26K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  MustangDawg 
#1 ·
anyone else ever try this by putting car in acc mode, waiting for lights to go off, slowly press gas down to floor, slowly lift up, shut car off, wait a few, then start it up?

people say this resets something and would make the car reset any learning it did, so your response might be quicker. I wanted to do this bc idk about the rest of you, but when I first flash my mpt performance tune, my gas pedal is SO much more sensitive and the throttle response is just much greater and over time becomes much more slow. there's just less hesitation at the beginning, and it's like it just gets slower over time, causing the need for a reflash. rather than do that, someone suggested I try this.

well I did it like 3 times and it did absolutely nothing, which is weird bc I've read plenty of people with s197s swear it works.

has anyone else had any luck? am I doing something wrong?

#2 ·
I do this every couple weeks or so. I put it in acc mode and wait for all the lights to go out. When I do this, it is for the last drive of the day so it sits for the night before restarting. I also did the 15-20 seconds to flooring and 15-20 seconds to throttle fully released on my last car that also had 'throttle by wire'. :)

Reactions: Renownedd
#3 ·
and does it actually work? mind you, mine is a 6spd. I honestly saw no difference

#4 ·
I 'think' it just calibrates the throttle to make sure it will go to 100% when the gas pedal is floored. If the throttle was going to (for example) 97% when floored, you probably wouldn't feel the difference when calibrated to be 100%.

This is my understanding from what I've read. :)

#5 ·
ahh then that probably won't solve what i'm looking for. i guess i just have to reflash the damn tune. i don't understand why this tune gets slower over time..it's incredibly annoying.

#16 ·
If you have a volt meter, what does your battery read in the morning before the motor has started? Should be 12.4-12.6 volts. Just wondering :)

#7 ·
accessory mode. the position on the key before you start. also, idk if the new edges had it.

#8 ·
I have found that you need to keep your sct up to date as well as keeping your tune updated. I have been running a Mpt 91 performance tune for about a year. I recently got an updated 91 performance tune from Mpt. Duane suggested that I return the car to stock & then update the tuner before I installed the new tune. That's what I did & it put me back on go again. Just an FYI

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#9 ·
my mpt is the 87. I updated the sct when I did it back in December, and it checks whenever you plug it in, which I did a lot for data logging. so you had to pay to update your tune? what exactly did they update?

#11 ·
weird right? i just did the reset again before i left work, and the throttle MAY have felt slightly more sensitive. maybe it's finally working? idk. i just did like suggested above where when i got home from work, did it, and i'll leave it off overnight and see what its like tomorrow morning. either way, i'm just annoyed that tunes need to be reflashed like every couple of weeks bc they get slow. when I asked MPT about this, they seemed clueless and their response was to get them a datalog. i'm not crazy, i know the car is slower than when the tuner is first flashed, but wouldn't you think a company who specializes in these kinds of tunes would be aware that it happens...??

#12 · (Edited)
There's no parameter in a tune file (not just the 3.7, but any ford file that I've seen) that suggests this exists.

The throttle recalibrates itself before you even start the car, you can hear it cycle in acc mode I believe. This is where it zeros out the throttle position for idle (let's say the idle throttle position is 8 degrees, it zeros that out).

Max throttle angle that you will see on a datalog is 81 degrees, add in that 8 degrees that it got rid of when it accounted for the idle throttle angle, and you end up with roughly 90 degrees of throttle when wide open (which is where you should be, you get no additional performance past 90 degrees, and you risk sticking the throttle wide open)

#13 ·
so wait, then what's the point of the manual reset?

#15 ·
I've been doing the throttle calibration since 2007. My last car (Dodge) had throttle by wire like our Mustangs do. It can't hurt anything even if it does nothing at all :) Who would believe pulling fuse 47 for 30 minutes would make the automatic transmission feel better on the shifts :)

#17 ·
I have the premium which reads battery voltage. I've done it before and it's read normal, even in the winter on a cold start.

#18 ·
Ford Vehicles: Electronic Throttle Body Calibration Procedure

Watch the YouTube link below and proceed as required:

https://youtu.be/ZNxXM75zJOw

Hope this help, it works for me :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.