Mustang Evolution Forum banner

License plate light housing not working?

10K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tym_v6 
#1 ·
One of the two license plate lights are not working on my car. I have bought new bulbs switched them around and they both work in one but not the other socket. Any ideas? I doubt its a fuse because both would be out (I would think). I think its the housing its self. If so any ideas where to get a replacement and how to remove and install it? Has anyone else had this issue? I did have some work done on the car where they may have removed the rear bumper to paint it. Anyone know where to find a wiring diagram? Maybe its just a loose connection? I read online that other people have needed to replace the entire housing due to corrosion.

#2 ·
If the light has been out since the repair it is likely something happened to the connection to the bad socket when the bumper was removed and replaced. I don't think you can get at the wiring to check it without removing the bumper though. It is not very hard to do. I bet it will be an easy fix once you can see the wires.

#3 ·
I got the car last year in august and did not drive it in the winter and I had the work done right when I got it but then had to take it back after the winter to have it corrected. Anyways, I did not notice it before I had the work done but then again its not something you see everyday and I did not drive it very much until this summer. I just happened to notice it after the fact and do not want to be pulled over for this. I have been in the past with another car and it was like a $100 ticket Either way the socket/housing its self is not working.

#4 ·
I took it back to the shop he claims he did not remove the bumper and tested it and the socket is getting electricity to it, it lit up a test light. But the bulb and housing is not lighting up. I even switched the bulbs and the housing from one side to the other they both light on on the drivers side but not on the passengers. I do not get it.

#5 ·
If you remove the bulb assembly and look up into the socket, you can see the 2 metal contacts one on each end. Make sure they are shiny and not corroded and sandpaper them if they are. It is really a simple design, you should be able to fix the problem if there is power going into the socket. Keep us posted.

#8 ·
Necroposting a little, but in addition to this good advice, you can also use a small flat bladed screwdriver to bend the metal contacts up a bit to ensure good contact with the bulb.

#6 ·
One of the two license plate lights are not working on my car. I have bought new bulbs switched them around and they both work in one but not the other socket. Any ideas? I doubt its a fuse because both would be out (I would think). I think its the housing its self. If so any ideas where to get a replacement and how to remove and install it? Has anyone else had this issue? I did have some work done on the car where they may have removed the rear bumper to paint it. Anyone know where to find a wiring diagram? Maybe its just a loose connection? I read online that other people have needed to replace the entire housing due to corros

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.