Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What on earth is this awful brake creaking i get?

19K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  jayochs 
#1 ·
so i've mentioned this before, that while braking, my car sounds like a 30 year old rust bucket bc something is creaky as hell in the passengers side brake. well, when the cars slightly warmed up, i've been able to re-create the sound just by hitting the brake pedal. it used to only happen when stopping, and i'd gradually let off the pedal to stop and i'd hear it. now it's all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZYRW3Uvx6I

what the hell is this awful noise?!!?

#2 ·
I would pull the caliper off on that brake a put some never seize on the guides the retention clips sit on.

#4 ·
Caliper piston. Mine did that. Sounded exactly the same. I replaced all the hardware, greased everything, still did it. It finally stopped when I replaced the brake pads because the piston got pushed back in the bore. Apparently it was just at that spot with the old pads (they were really worn somthe piston was out quite a bit). Does not do it anymore.

#5 ·
so my pads could be completely worn at 23k miles already?

#8 ·
Sitting still and pumping the brakes usually do not make the wear indicators make that noise., or were you rolling?

I still think noisy hardware. More plausible for the miles. You can see if your pads are warn through a slot in your rim....

#7 ·
eh I don't do either. I guess ill pop off the wheel this weekend and look and see what's up. meh

#9 ·
everytime i bring to ford, they do the measurements, and the last time was the airbag recall in may, and it was all in the green. so i don't think they're worn. must just be the noisy hardware. it makes noise sitting still and rolling. it's so annoying though.

#10 ·
so pulled wheel off with dad today. brakes have a lot of meat on them. they're doing completely fine. dad couldn't see anything but he felt it obviously on the caliper, thinks it's inside. I'm just gonna make an appointment at my local mechanic to check it out i think.

#12 ·
Calipers are easy, get a rebuilt one at a local parts store, give them your core, swap it and bleed brakes and good. Takes 30 minutes.

#13 ·
brought her over to my local mechanic today, hopefully it's something simple and won't cost too much. i'll keep ya updated.

but also funny how last night and today it wasn't making that noise nearly as bad as it has been EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE PAST 2 MONTHS! GO FIGURE! :banghead:

#14 ·
verdict is in......

bad caliper. they greased everything up, compressed the piston, and it still was creaking horribly after. he had to order a new caliper, should hopefully be here tomorrow, so I just took it home for the night and i'll bring it back in the morning. good thing i'm on vacation this week....

#16 ·
yup! gonna be 180 bucks with caliper and labor. ughhh

#17 ·
Mine had that exact same sound. When I did my breaks last weekend I found it was a push pin, it was rusted and frozen which was making that awful noise, so I took it out and wire brushed the pin and greased it problem solved. What cause that to happen was a lack of grease which prevents moisture from rusting the pin. The last place that did my breaks did not do a thorough enough job,and that place was Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#18 ·
huh weird. they said they checked the push pins as they greased everything up. either way, i'm getting a new caliper tomorrow!

#19 ·
My V6 makes the exact same sound! However mine is much quieter and might not be at as advanced a stage as yours was/is. I greased just about every moving surface besides the pad material and rotor and the creak still occurs. My original guess was the piston itself because it creaks regardless of the speed or movement. From what I've seen on my own car, the creaking occurs more when I let off the brake pedal slowly. It sounds like "creak pop pop pop ping ping" and can be felt through the pedal itself.

#20 ·
yep. I needed a new caliper. its fine now but 200 bucks later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.