What on earth is this awful brake creaking i get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
What on earth is this awful brake creaking i get?

so i've mentioned this before, that while braking, my car sounds like a 30 year old rust bucket bc something is creaky as hell in the passengers side brake. well, when the cars slightly warmed up, i've been able to re-create the sound just by hitting the brake pedal. it used to only happen when stopping, and i'd gradually let off the pedal to stop and i'd hear it. now it's all the time.

what the hell is this awful noise?!!?
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I would pull the caliper off on that brake a put some never seize on the guides the retention clips sit on.
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
^^ agree^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Caliper piston. Mine did that. Sounded exactly the same. I replaced all the hardware, greased everything, still did it. It finally stopped when I replaced the brake pads because the piston got pushed back in the bore. Apparently it was just at that spot with the old pads (they were really worn somthe piston was out quite a bit). Does not do it anymore.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

so my pads could be completely worn at 23k miles already?
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Not saying that. I'm saying the sound like that was from my caliper piston. But to answer your question, I don't know your driving habits so it is certainly plausible to wear pads down in that mileage if you drive hard or ride your brakes.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

eh I don't do either. I guess ill pop off the wheel this weekend and look and see what's up. meh
Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
so my pads could be completely worn at 23k miles already?
Sitting still and pumping the brakes usually do not make the wear indicators make that noise., or were you rolling?

I still think noisy hardware. More plausible for the miles. You can see if your pads are warn through a slot in your rim....
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

everytime i bring to ford, they do the measurements, and the last time was the airbag recall in may, and it was all in the green. so i don't think they're worn. must just be the noisy hardware. it makes noise sitting still and rolling. it's so annoying though.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

so pulled wheel off with dad today. brakes have a lot of meat on them. they're doing completely fine. dad couldn't see anything but he felt it obviously on the caliper, thinks it's inside. I'm just gonna make an appointment at my local mechanic to check it out i think.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My money is in the caliper.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Calipers are easy, get a rebuilt one at a local parts store, give them your core, swap it and bleed brakes and good. Takes 30 minutes.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

brought her over to my local mechanic today, hopefully it's something simple and won't cost too much. i'll keep ya updated.

but also funny how last night and today it wasn't making that noise nearly as bad as it has been EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR THE PAST 2 MONTHS! GO FIGURE!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

verdict is in......

bad caliper. they greased everything up, compressed the piston, and it still was creaking horribly after. he had to order a new caliper, should hopefully be here tomorrow, so I just took it home for the night and i'll bring it back in the morning. good thing i'm on vacation this week....
Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Told ya.......
Old 09-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

yup! gonna be 180 bucks with caliper and labor. ughhh
Old 09-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Mine had that exact same sound. When I did my breaks last weekend I found it was a push pin, it was rusted and frozen which was making that awful noise, so I took it out and wire brushed the pin and greased it problem solved. What cause that to happen was a lack of grease which prevents moisture from rusting the pin. The last place that did my breaks did not do a thorough enough job,and that place was Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr3.7 View Post
Mine had that exact same sound. When I did my breaks last weekend I found it was a push pin, it was rusted and frozen which was making that awful noise, so I took it out and wire brushed the pin and greased it problem solved. What cause that to happen was a lack of grease which prevents moisture from rusting the pin. The last place that did my breaks did not do a thorough enough job,and that place was Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
huh weird. they said they checked the push pins as they greased everything up. either way, i'm getting a new caliper tomorrow!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #19

Region: Illinois
My V6 makes the exact same sound! However mine is much quieter and might not be at as advanced a stage as yours was/is. I greased just about every moving surface besides the pad material and rotor and the creak still occurs. My original guess was the piston itself because it creaks regardless of the speed or movement. From what I've seen on my own car, the creaking occurs more when I let off the brake pedal slowly. It sounds like "creak pop pop pop ping ping" and can be felt through the pedal itself.
campdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

yep. I needed a new caliper. its fine now but 200 bucks later.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang