ATF Flush Machine any trans experts? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
ATF Flush Machine any trans experts?

Ok Been wanting to buy a transmission flush machine for awhile now, but somewhere I hear that our cars (I have a 2014 V6 Stang vert.) have a check valve and you need a certain type. Also before we get into it as to why not let the dealer do it. (I got that when I asked this question before in fact thats all I got lol)

1.) I want to flush and change the filter dealer will only flush
2.) dealer wants $200.00 I have 3 cars my girlfriend has 1
3.) I drive a lot and would flush about every 2 years (I do about 20,000 miles a year)
4.) I have a 1997 Grand prix I flushed the old fashioned way by disconnecting the line starting car and adding fluid as it drained every 60,000 miles and the trans on that lasted 350,000 miles. Imagine If I do it once a year or two
Here is one I have been looking at

12V Auto Transmission Fluid Oil Exchange. Flush Machine Gasoline Vehicle Get | eBay
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've never been a fan of flushing, especially on high mileage vehicles. Heard of all sorts of bad things happening from dislodging normally stationary crud that builds up over time. That being said, if you make it a part of your routine maintenance schedule and are consistent, go for it. It's a bit overkill, IMO though, especially for that much money unless you want to start doing it on the side and make money off of it.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
I've never been a fan of flushing, especially on high mileage vehicles. Heard of all sorts of bad things happening from dislodging normally stationary crud that builds up over time. That being said, if you make it a part of your routine maintenance schedule and are consistent, go for it. It's a bit overkill, IMO though, especially for that much money unless you want to start doing it on the side and make money off of it.
Your correct about flushing that's why you want to do it from the beginning and at regular intervals, plus since our cars do not have dipsticks this makes it easier to refill and checking is not needed as much. As for the cost of the machine. Like I said I have 3 cars girlfriend has one. at $338.00 It will pay for itself after two uses. So any way do you know if this one will work with our cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I had my local Ford dealer do a filter change and a low pressure flush for $200 a couple years ago I would let Ford do yours, at least you'll know they used the right fluid
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan541 View Post
plus since our cars do not have dipsticks this makes it easier to refill
Wrong. Your car DOES have a dipstick.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Yep. Search youtube and you'll find videos that will show you what to remove to 'find' a beautiful little yellow dipstick
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok Been wanting to buy a transmission flush machine for awhile now, but somewhere I hear that our cars (I have a 2014 V6 Stang vert.) have a check valve and you need a certain type. Also before we get into it as to why not let the dealer do it. (I got that when I asked this question before in fact thats all I got lol)

1.) I want to flush and change the filter dealer will only flush
2.) dealer wants $200.00 I have 3 cars my girlfriend has 1
3.) I drive a lot and would flush about every 2 years (I do about 20,000 miles a year)
4.) I have a 1997 Grand prix I flushed the old fashioned way by disconnecting the line starting car and adding fluid as it drained every 60,000 miles and the trans on that lasted 350,000 miles. Imagine If I do it once a year or two
Here is one I have been looking at

12V Auto Transmission Fluid Oil Exchange. Flush Machine Gasoline Vehicle Get | eBay

That machine looks like it would work good. Too bad it doesn't have any reviews from people who have bought one
Old 08-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I had my local Ford dealer do a filter change and a low pressure flush for $200 a couple years ago I would let Ford do yours, at least you'll know they used the right fluid
Did you see where I said I had 3 cars of my own plus the girlfriends and that I do a lot o driving? Gets a bit pricey machine is only $338.00 to $6$50. depending on which I use, also dealer and most shops here tell me they do not change the filter if they flush it. The pan drop guys tell me they don't flush so its one or the other. Using the right fluid? It isn't that hard you check the owners manual /go to Advance Auto O'Riellys, Walmart, the Stealer and buy 12 quarts of MERCONĀ® LV ATF, XT-10-QLV /MERCONĀ® LV

MY Dad (may he Rip) was a mechanic all his life so I been playing with cars since 1972. (For me its a hobby) I have a full blown shop including a scissor lift in my home garage. I know what I am doing its just that I had heard (from this forum) our cars have a check valve in the trans line, and that it needs a certain type machine.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
I know it does but I was making reference to refilling it via the tube, pain in the *** doing it from underneath

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Quote:
I know it does but I was making reference to refilling it via the tube, pain in the *** doing it from underneath
Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
That machine looks like it would work good. Too bad it doesn't have any reviews from people who have bought one
Yeah I agree plus the manual is sketchy
Old 08-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I looked at these machines and found some for $230 when I Googled the model. I would not buy one until you find someone that has reviewed it. The price sounds too good to be true and you know the old saying. From what I can tell they are made in China and I don't see how they can even ship them over for the price they are selling them for unless they are junk. Just my opinion. Please keep us informed if you buy one.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I had always been told not to flush a transmission that has never been serviced. Just a do a filter change and add in the fluid amount lost in the change.

A short while back my wife's Grand Cherokee began experiencing transmission problems. I decided to pull the pan, change the filter and fluid, and adjust the bands. This is something I have done hundreds of times over the years. No problem, right?

When I pulled the pan I found a broken actuator spring. While waiting on the spring to arrive via shipping I completely flushed the trans and cooler. It is a 2004 Grand Cherokee that had never gone through a true trans service, so I thought I was doing myself a favor.

Once the transmission was back together I filled it with the proper fluid and the correct amount.

With a huge grin if satisfaction I got into the Jeep and fired it up. I allowed the engine to reach operating temp and cycled through the gears with my foot on the brake. Everything sounded great, and felt smooth.

I checked the fluid one last time, added an extra quart that was needed and decided to go for a test drive.

The Jeep didn't move. It didn't even consider moving. I essentially had neutral in every gear except park.

I ended up with a new transmission. It was likely time, but I may have been able to squeeze out a few more miles on the old trans if I had simply changed the broken spring, filter, and then topped off the fluid.

I am not a fan of automatic transmissions in regard to working on them.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The flushes today are not the flushes of old that would toast a transmission. The low pressure flushes are completely safe.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Our cars have a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Mine is 4 years old with 27k miles and I just had the "transmission fluid exchange" done at the dealer. I wanted it done during the warranty period so Ford has a record of servicing the transmission. $230 worth of peace of mind, I'm good to go
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
I looked at these machines and found some for $230 when I Googled the model. I would not buy one until you find someone that has reviewed it. The price sounds too good to be true and you know the old saying. From what I can tell they are made in China and I don't see how they can even ship them over for the price they are selling them for unless they are junk. Just my opinion. Please keep us informed if you buy one.

And the little voice in my head has been saying that over and over LOL
Old 08-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Our cars have a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Mine is 4 years old with 27k miles and I just had the "transmission fluid exchange" done at the dealer. I wanted it done during the warranty period so Ford has a record of servicing the transmission. $230 worth of peace of mind, I'm good to go
LOL, I have 90,000 on mine.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
LOL, I have 90,000 on mine.
I hear ya. I just wanted to get it done during the warranty period. Besides, next month I'll be going on a 1,200 mile road trip so I wanted everything running up to spec. I call it healthy paranoia
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This makes no sense to me... First, 20k miles a year isn't really all that much. Second, isn't the service interval on the 6r80 like 100k miles? You're wanting to change the trans oil like 5x more often than it needs? That's like changing your engine oil every 1k miles. Its a waste of money.

On top of that... you're wanting to spend $340 on a machine to do it yourself, and then 12 quarts x $10 a quart or another $120 per change? So basically if you drove 20k miles a year you'd hit 100k miles in 5 years, correct? In that time you'd spend roughly $950 ((120 x 5) + 340), where in that same 5 years you could have just spent the $220 Ford charges and called it a day.

I'm all for DIY man, but this just makes no sense to me. Even if you have a lot of cars, it's still cheaper to just let the dealer do it. Unless you're somehow managing to put 100k miles on all 4 vehicles in a shocking amount of time.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
This makes no sense to me... First, 20k miles a year isn't really all that much. Second, isn't the service interval on the 6r80 like 100k miles? You're wanting to change the trans oil like 5x more often than it needs? That's like changing your engine oil every 1k miles. Its a waste of money.

On top of that... you're wanting to spend $340 on a machine to do it yourself, and then 12 quarts x $10 a quart or another $120 per change? So basically if you drove 20k miles a year you'd hit 100k miles in 5 years, correct? In that time you'd spend roughly $950 ((120 x 5) + 340), where in that same 5 years you could have just spent the $220 Ford charges and called it a day.

I'm all for DIY man, but this just makes no sense to me. Even if you have a lot of cars, it's still cheaper to just let the dealer do it. Unless you're somehow managing to put 100k miles on all 4 vehicles in a shocking amount of time.
Dealers where I am not will not drop pan and change filter they only flush it. Also are not open on my days off. Machine would pay for itself after the second car, I can do it at my convince I already have a lift and everything else I need for most DIY work because its just easier for me to do it when I have the time rather than drive 50 miles to dealer (I live in the middle of nowhere then you hang a left)

I go from Tennessee to NY on a fairly regular bases plus drive 600 miles a week for work. Three cars right now are at the change mark (so we are at $660 already ) the 4th car will need a change in a year or two. Right now if I buy the machine and the fluid for all 3 it would be $660 (I can get 12 quarts for $80.00) . So for the same price I have the machine Plus cars are my hobby I enjoy this sort of thing and I know it is done right. I usually do them myself anyway using the shad tree method but that is messy and takes two people. Also it is my money and since I don't smoke or drink I can spend it on the one big vice I have, cars and tools. Hell I spent $1,300 non a lift to make brake jobs, polishing it, oil changes et' all easier. All I want to know is about that stupid check valve in the trans and how it works. LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang