Ghost Cam - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Ghost Cam

What your opinion on a ghost cam?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Jack_Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Just as bad as fake turbo whistle.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
If you want the rumpita, rumpita sound, go buy a 67 Chevelle 396 SS with a 3/4 race cam and Cherry Bombs........to do this to a modern car's computer system, CAN'T be good for the engine, spark plugs or converters.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
If you want the rumpita, rumpita sound, go buy a 67 Chevelle 396 SS with a 3/4 race cam and Cherry Bombs........to do this to a modern car's computer system, CAN'T be good for the engine, spark plugs or converters.

Not arguing, just discussing, but why do you think it's any different? Valve overlap is valve overlap, shouldn't matter what engine it is on?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Not arguing, just discussing, but why do you think it's any different? Valve overlap is valve overlap, shouldn't matter what engine it is on?
This KILLS your catalytic converters (which, last time I looked a 67 Chevelle does not have).......and yes, I am also against taking them off to do this. This mod dumps raw unburned fuel directly into your exhaust system. Not good for your car or the environment.
I don't think that the Ghost cam mod changes your valve overlap, it only fails to fire every third or fourth spark plug ignition. This must also wash down your cylinder walls and oil with raw gas......just stupid. Flame suit on.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
they sound cool, but you can have issues with them. I wouldn't but it's not my car.

and who doesn't want the rumpita rumpita sound? Mud learned a new word!!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
This KILLS your catalytic converters (which, last time I looked a 67 Chevelle does not have).......and yes, I am also against taking them off to do this. This mod dumps raw unburned fuel directly into your exhaust system. Not good for your car or the environment.
I don't think that the Ghost cam mod changes your valve overlap, it only fails to fire every third or fourth spark plug ignition. This must also wash down your cylinder walls and oil with raw gas......just stupid. Flame suit on.

Yes, I'm aware of the cat issue, and they do stress you should be catless for this mod. If you're correct about the spark plugs, then yeah... no bueno. I was under the impression that since these cars have TI-VCT they just adjusted the valve overlap similar to a massive cam, and the reason you end up with unburnt fuel is the increase in overlap allows the fuel to flow out the exhaust valve.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Yes, I'm aware of the cat issue, and they do stress you should be catless for this mod. If you're correct about the spark plugs, then yeah... no bueno. I was under the impression that since these cars have TI-VCT they just adjusted the valve overlap similar to a massive cam, and the reason you end up with unburnt fuel is the increase in overlap allows the fuel to flow out the exhaust valve.
I am not sure either, but I don't think that even the TI-VCT systems have enough adjustment in them to get the valve overlap to sound like a race cam......maybe someone here with more mechanical knowledge than I could weigh in here.
And I still say that removing your cats is illegal here in the US of A. No bueno indeed. Pouring that amount of unburned fuel into the exhaust system =
Old 08-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
they sound cool, but you can have issues with them. I wouldn't but it's not my car.

and who doesn't want the rumpita rumpita sound? Mud learned a new word!!
Harleys go potato-potato-potato.

Race cams go rumpita-rump-rump- rumpita-rumpita....

You KNOW you can hear it when you read that, right?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Hp gains NONE

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The Ghost Cam tunes just modify the cam timing in a specific Mapped Point, then modify Distance and Array tables to call for that Mapped Point at idle. The intake valve opens a lot sooner and the exhaust valve closes a lot later, so you end up with real deal overlap. There are no tricks going on with ignition timing or fueling. With all the overlap you can end up with a false lean condition where the car ends up accidentally adding excess fuel, but you can force open loop fueling just at idle to keep the PCM by incorrectly adding fuel. Tuners often end up adding a few degrees of timing at idle along with some extra idle air, to help stabilize the idle.

Looks like the 3.7 can open the intake valve 60 degrees sooner at idle and close 50 degrees later on the exhaust, these are the limits, don't know if anyone pushes them that far. That's pretty big. I know some Ghost Cam tunes for the 5.0's often end up around -40/30.
AKDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
I liked this a lot better with my 73 Cougar with the 4V Cleveland, Hooker Super Comp headers and Hush Thrush Turbo Mufflers
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I like mine but I only run it for a couple weeks per year. Above 'idle' it is just a good MPT tune.

I would not want this to be my only tune
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #14

IMO they're kind of ricey because you are pretending you have something that you do not, like a turbo whistle, or stick on hood scoops.
austinh1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Volt and AKDMB have it right, valve timing. You smell extra fuel because of this. They are OK to use with cats but they warn you to not let them idle for longer than 30 minutes. That's a long time. Yes they will heat the cats up. Yes there is some unburnt fuel collected in the cats from the excessive cam timing. Hence the warning.
Young, I love ours too. Great tune after idle. I had ours put in the race tune from MPT. The idle is just for play. That's why I had ours put on the race tune. Only use it about 4-6 times a year. The throttle response and shifting on the 6R80 are fantastic with that tune. Chirps the tires. Very noticeable power gain with the race tune, not from the Ghost Cam idle. Like I said that's just for play. Not sorry we purchased it. Bought the tuner from MPT and it came with 3 free tunes, so why not. Still can't use chop sticks even after buying the Ghost Tune!
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
^^^^^
PS: can't believe this topic came back again.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang