Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ghost Cam

16K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  oxfordwhite 
#1 ·
What your opinion on a ghost cam?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#11 · (Edited)
The Ghost Cam tunes just modify the cam timing in a specific Mapped Point, then modify Distance and Array tables to call for that Mapped Point at idle. The intake valve opens a lot sooner and the exhaust valve closes a lot later, so you end up with real deal overlap. There are no tricks going on with ignition timing or fueling. With all the overlap you can end up with a false lean condition where the car ends up accidentally adding excess fuel, but you can force open loop fueling just at idle to keep the PCM by incorrectly adding fuel. Tuners often end up adding a few degrees of timing at idle along with some extra idle air, to help stabilize the idle.

Looks like the 3.7 can open the intake valve 60 degrees sooner at idle and close 50 degrees later on the exhaust, these are the limits, don't know if anyone pushes them that far. That's pretty big. I know some Ghost Cam tunes for the 5.0's often end up around -40/30.

#13 · (Edited)
I like mine but I only run it for a couple weeks per year. Above 'idle' it is just a good MPT tune.

I would not want this to be my only tune :)

#15 ·
Volt and AKDMB have it right, valve timing. You smell extra fuel because of this. They are OK to use with cats but they warn you to not let them idle for longer than 30 minutes. That's a long time. Yes they will heat the cats up. Yes there is some unburnt fuel collected in the cats from the excessive cam timing. Hence the warning.
Young, I love ours too. Great tune after idle. I had ours put in the race tune from MPT. The idle is just for play. That's why I had ours put on the race tune. Only use it about 4-6 times a year. The throttle response and shifting on the 6R80 are fantastic with that tune. Chirps the tires. Very noticeable power gain with the race tune, not from the Ghost Cam idle. Like I said that's just for play. Not sorry we purchased it. Bought the tuner from MPT and it came with 3 free tunes, so why not. Still can't use chop sticks even after buying the Ghost Tune!:popcorn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.