Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Apparently need new tires...

4K views 79 replies 18 participants last post by  Patsslab 
#1 ·
so my whole plan was to get black rims for the black stang, and now after bringing it in for my brakes to get fixed, they told me the tires are dry rotting pretty bad on the tread, so I need tires asap. well, it's only got 23k miles, but they're the stock crappy BF Goodrich tires.

Anyway, I want to get a wheel/tire set from AM. I want to get black rims definitely and all-season tires since i'm in NJ and will be driving in the snow. I have 17 inch stock rims as it is, so I'm looking to go up to atleast 19. Anyone have any suggestions?

#3 ·
well, i'm looking towards getting an American muscle wheel/tire kit with everything together.

#4 ·
#7 ·
like what? i'm doing it just for ease so I can literally pop the old tire off and the new ones on.
You want 18s, not 19s. 18s have better tire choices, are cheaper, and are lighter.

Get you some SVE Drifts from LMR for DIRT cheap and it leaves more money for tires ... which are the important part.
do they do packages at LMR? i'd rather have everything all set in one. also, sve drifts on there are only in 19s

#8 ·
anyone know if tire rack stuff is good? the mechanics shop I'm at now said they recently signed a wholesale contract with them and I can order through them and they'll install stuff. I briefly looked but idk if they're any good

#14 ·
hmm. vig was telling me there's a 6% discount for mevo forum members on AM, too. I just can't find any 18 inch wheel/tire packages that have all season tires....

#15 ·
Check out LRM too for wheels/tires.

With any replicas, be damn sure to NOT use wheel cleaner. Just soap and water. Make sure in these NJ winters you are religiously cleaning them off too, that black car and black rims will look white after it snows and they salt the roads...

#16 ·
I checked lrm out. they don't do full kits that's just plug and play pretty much lol. and why not wheel cleaners? I use meguiers hot shine on mine currently.

this is a pain in the ***. this is exactly why I haven't gotten new rims yet. everytime I got serious about it, I realize what a ***** it is.. but now that i need tires, I need to make a damn decision. there's nothing I really like on tire rack, except one eikei set but they legit only have 3 in stock and it's like a close out sale so I doubt they'll stock anymore. either way, this is a pain.

#18 ·
OK so here's what i'm looking at from TireRack to see if my mechanic can get them for a better deal:

Enkei Performance RSF5 18x8 in Black
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...h=Black+Painted&showRear=no&packageFlow=false

Pirelli P-Zero All Season 245/50R18
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...0ASP&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Mustang Coupe&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=Manual Transmission&vehicleSearch=true

I think those rims are pretty nice, and are kind of what I was looking for, and they only weigh 23lbs which is actually less than what I saw my stock 17 inchers are.

Thoughts? I'm gonna bring this to him tomorrow to see what kind of pricing he can get. Total shipped for me would be $1599.60 and that's without the TPMS, which my mechanic said he'd take off my current ones and pop on there and sync everything up

#19 ·
Me and my buddy both got wheel and tire packages from AM and don't have any issues for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#21 ·
I can't find an 18 inch wheels tire set with all weather tires. very annoying. I don't want summer tires. I want all year.

#23 ·
decided I'm doing the 19 inch laguna Seca am package. honestly, for 210 a pop for pirelli all season p zero, that's not that bad. and 18s are like 180 a pop. not a huge difference to get tires for a 19, and the laguna only weigh 27.9 so they're close to stock weight. I'm fine with that.

#24 ·
Go with for tires B.F Goodrich G Force Com 2 A/S, Traction rated AA tread wear rating is 400. This will give you more life than the usual summer tires that wear out at 20K, plus in a pinch these had a good snow traction rating. There are some video's for these tires on Tire Rack and they put good down some good lap times.

#26 ·
meh, I don't want to deal with BFG again after how bad these tires were. I'm gonna go Pirelli P-Zero All Season

Don't forget you'll need to reprogram your speedometer if you change wheel/tire size.
yeah, about that...so I see the diameter of my 17's is 27.6, and the 19's are 27.7...so it's not a huge increase, but I wonder how much it'll affect? I have an MPT perf tune, but I know the SCT tuner itself has an option for changing tire size, but does that keep my MPT tune? or do I have to get a revision for the exact same tune from MPT just to get my speedo corrected?

#28 ·
Sorry but I don't know anything about your tuner. I read that if you change "wheel" size then you have to program the speedometer for that specific size wheel. That's really all I know. It would seem to make sense though that if the outside diameter is that close then there would be very little difference in the reported speed. It has to do with the number of revolutions the wheel makes. Someone at Discount Tire could probably explain it better than me.

#29 ·
You're close, but not quite. Think of it this way, if i have an 18" diameter wheel and a tire with 2" sidewall i effectively have a 20" diameter. If i have a 17" rim and 3" sidewall, or 19" rim and 1" sidewall, in all instances i still have 20" diameter. The final diameter is all that maters.

#31 ·
They're factory tires on the GT and you couldn't pay me to run those tires. They'll get you from A to B, and i think that's all you expect from them so they're quite alright in that regard, but no one has ever confused it for a performance tire. We run the Nitto 555 G2 on my wife's car and they can call it a summer tire all they want, its an all season, does cold and rain just fine. Granted, Cold here is like ... in the 40s haha.

#32 ·
ahh, I hear you. yeah I don't track my car or anything, I just drive it around lol so for me, like you said, it'll do what I want. i'm not looking for performance or anything. we do get cold and snow here in NJ, so I wanna cover all my bases just incase. I emailed AM to make sure there's nothing else I need to order, but maybe i'll ask you guys bc they aren't responding....

so I've got the rim/tire set in my cart, the TPMS which they pre-install on the wheels, and the sync tool, but I've also added the 12 dollar roush wheel stops so it won't rub, bc Vig told me that anything above 17 inches on here will rub and you need those.

besides that stuff, is there anything else I need? i'm gonna use my stock chrome lugnuts bc I think the chrome will look cool offsetting the black rim.

#34 ·
hmm. then why is everyone saying you need the tool to sync it?

#36 ·
well if i don't use the tool, i can just return it im sure :)

just placed the order! woo! prob won't get them for install next weekend though.

#37 ·
guys, I;m being told by AM I NEED new lugnuts on here because stock ones scrape the finish off the rims. is this true?! does anyone who bought AM wheels have this experience? I got the laguna seca ones.

#39 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.