Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Would you be mad if...

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  jayochs 
#1 · (Edited)
I need your guys opinions. so I've got a dashcam hardwired to my car. I had to bring it to a shop today, first time going there, but my dad has been going here for years. (this was for my brakes.) so, there was an issue. (for those unfamiliar, see my thread here and listen to the noise my brakes were making:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t396169/ )

guy greased everything up, claimed it's good to go, that it just needed grease. I get there, cars still making the noise even louder than ever. I go wtf, go back inside and say, hey guys, it's still making the noise. so they come listen and they're like oh wow I didnt' hear that before (BS because it's REALLY loud.) so they grab it and put it right up on the lift in front of me and he goes and does something with the piston, and it still makes the noise. took a scope and they listened, said it's inside the caliper, so I need a new one. fine, no big deal, but I already paid them 55 bucks for labor to grease everything...so he's like no big, you'll just pay the 130 for the caliper, and no labor, and bring it back tomorrow, so i'm like ok no problem.

get home, watch the dashcam out of curiosity...the dude drove the car for about a mile with hardly any stops in there ( I assume he was taking it out to listen for the noise) and then he started blasting what I had on my usb stick...which was megadeth. so the dudes blasting megadeth (heavy metal FFS) and driving a long way, so how the hell are you supposed to hear the noise!?

then...he drives into a Roy Rogers drive through and orders himself lunch, including a drink. LIKE, REALLY?! you're taking a customers car out to go pick up lunch!? nah, I don't like that one bit. at all. I don't even eat in my own car, you sure as **** aren't getting food in it.

thing is, the dude took it out for another drive like an hour later, too. so I have no idea if he was even listening for anything those times since he had music on, or he was just joyriding in my car.

how would you all feel about this? majority of people I know are saying they'd be pissed as hell and would bring it up, and one is just saying it's no big deal (weird thing is that dude owns a stang too...hmm..)

my plan is to bring it up after they do the work and right before I pay tomorrow, since I have to bring it back to get fixed properly anyway.

so how would you all feel if a mechanic went and took your stang out and got food in it?

See less See more
#3 ·
so you're a mechanic and you're admitting to taking peoples cars out to get lunch? i'm just curious what the thought process behind this is..dude orders some chicken and has the balls to throw this greasy chicken bag on my leather seats.

#4 ·
Clearly I should build upon this. I'm an Auto Tech and I take my Mustangs out to lunch often. I've only taken one customer car out to lunch, but I guess it doesn't count when said customer is in the car with you.

Pick your poison.

#5 ·
ahh, good clarification lol.

yeah, I just don't like the fact he did it, at all. when I bring it back tomorrow, they're a tire rack dealer, so i'm going to see what kind of deal he can get me on ordering and installing these rims/tires I found. if it's a good enough deal, i'll let it slide, but i'll still mention it...but if it's no deal, i'll let them know, and I just won't ever go back there again.

#7 ·
yeah, def. I just hope the boss is there to talk to, rather than just this guy, ya know? i'll still mention it to him, but i'll have to figure out how to contact the boss lol

#9 ·
nah, it's a small shop.

#11 ·
There is no way I would let something like that slide. Especially if they failed to resolve the issue the first time. In fact, I would let the owner/manager know that I did not appreciate their unprofessionalism, their failure to resolve the issue and their willingness to give the car back and charge money for it without even attempting to fix the issue.

I would ask the owner/manager to pull the joy riding employee into the office and have them explain what happened in the video. After hearing their BS, I would let them know that I would be posting the video to social media and would never give them any business and would let others know how poorly they treat their customers vehicles along with their shady business practices.

#13 ·
We don't have a Roy Rogers in my area :cry:

#15 ·
I haven't had roy Roger's since like the early 90s...they used to be in my town, then were gone for like 20 years and just came back recently lol so I haven't been! but if you saw the dude, you'd be surprised all he ordered was a 2 piece chicken meal.... (I can say these things, i'm a big guy myself [emoji13])

but yeah, my plan is to bring this up after it's all done and I go to pay. be like, so you know I've got a dashcam always running, right? lol

#17 ·
hahahaha exactly! picking it up today, I'll be like "hey man any reason my car smelled like fast food yesterday?"

#18 · (Edited)
If a mechanic takes my Red Ryder out to pick up his lunch, It ain't "NO" big deal to me.
I'm sure he is not going to hurt anything and he just may find something I missed.
This is still better then the crap Chevy dealer I had to use when I had my Corvette, They had so many cars in the shop they could not help door banging a car to get out when parking it.
I had to take pictures of my car and have a walk around with the service writer before they got to touch it.
he best day I had with that dealer is the day I traded off my vette for a mini JCW.
Ronnie

PS: I have not had to take my car to the dealer except for the air bag fix.
I do take it to get service but I have the same guy do it every time.
Willie is a very good old guy that actually does his job and checks everything on my Mustang.

#19 ·
hmm...well guys, wanna laugh? so today, the guy who manages the place called me to say it's ready. he's like "so it's ready! actually was ready a bit ago, but I wanted to take it out to make sure it isn't making the noise, so I took it to lunch, went home for a bit then came back, and all is good."

i'm sitting there like.......if the boss does it, then there's no point in telling him his employee does it, bc clearly they think it's no big deal!

in the end, idk, I still think it's unprofessional, but at this point it's like whatever....and like $190 bucks later, my brakes don't creak anymore and I got a new caliper. lol :banghead:

#21 ·
I believe that they refer to it as "mechanic's privilege".
I once saw my parent's mechanic driving their SUV through town at 11pm... Likely, on his way home from the pub! (Really!)

In the future, take the technician for a ride so that you can point out the noise to him. It can be difficult for a person to jump into a unfamiliar vehicle and immediately sort out all of the different sounds that it makes. This way, you stand a better chance of the problem being repaired correctly the first time... Along with, hopefully, eliminating at least one of the test drives where you are not in attendance.

#23 · (Edited)
I say lunch would be OK, but (and this is a biggie) if a customer complains about a noise you don't blast Megadeath. The lunch can be excused (no eating/drinking/smoking in car) as long as if it gets damaged during the lunch they take responsibility for the repair. But to drown out the sound when you are supposed to be fixing a sound related problem is a big no.

forgot to mention the lunch needs to be a stop on the test drive, not a special trip because you are hungry.

#24 ·
Same happened to me but this was the dealership. They had the car for 4 days. Until I had a friend tell me he had seen my car parked in front of a house at 6am on his way to work. Went to the dealership and asked if my car had been out of the shop at all and told me "no". I wanted proofs, so I asked if they could show me the vids. Guess what they told me... "they don't work". I knew they were bs, I just don't trust anyone with my car anymore. I'm very anal when it comes to stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#25 ·
I am curious why you have a dashcam hardwired in your car?

#27 ·
Really? You of all people ask this question.
I even keep a cam rolling.

My dash cam saved a teen driver from a charge in an accident. The adult was at fault, but without the cam it was all circumstantial. The trooper on scene wrote the kid up as being at fault until he saw the actual accident footage.

The cam can save you.

#28 ·
yeah, you need a dashcam in today's society of ********.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.