Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Mustang 2012 loses power - dealer couldn't fix

9K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  iguanaman3 
#1 ·
Hello guys.

I have a huge problem.

I have a Ford Mustang 2012 V6 automatic.

After a car wash 5 weeks ago, I suddenly lost power during driving. Eventhough
I pressed on the gas pedal, the car didn't go any faster, but the RPM increased.
After a restart, it ran fine again for 4 days. Then the whole problems started.
Since then, I had the problem everyday. Sometimes it happens after driving 20 minutes,
somtimes it happens right away after driving out of my garage. I am not sure if the
car wash had anything to do with it or if it was the very hot weather that day that
triggered it the first time.

The first time the problem occured, the limp home mode light showed up. But this was
only once. After the restart, it was gone forever. I remember that the speedometer
needle sometimes bounced around when the problem occured or that it stayed at zero
even when I was driving. Also, one time when I tried to turn off the AC, it took 5
seconds before it reacted.

If the problem occurs in "drive" and I move into "reverse", the car doesn't move a bit
and only the RPM increases. After a restart, the "reverse" works. At least so much that
I can drive a few meters in reverse mode. So everytime the problem shows up and I try
to drive reverse, I have to restart the car before the swap from D to R works.

Anyways. I just got the car back from my dealer. The error codes showed that the
molded lead frame had to be replaced. It was done. I waited 2 weeks and thought
that the car finally works again.

But when I was drving home, the problem came again. I restarted, and I made it back
home without it showing up again. It seems that the molded lead frame swap didn't do
anything.

I cleaned the MAF-sensor and the Throttle Body. Nothing changed. I think I may have
****ed something up when I washed my car. I washed it from the front and I think that
water may have went into the engine. Maybe ignition plugs got wet?

My dealer said there is nothing he can really do. He also said that ignition etc. could
not be the reason as there would be lights on and so on. But I do not think that.

I hope someone here can help me out.

See less See more
#2 ·
My dealer said there is nothing he can really do. He also said that ignition etc. could
not be the reason as there would be lights on and so on. But I do not think that.

I also hope someone can chime in and help. Your dealer sounds more like they WONT help you. I bet there's something they could do to help you but they WONT. that's pretty messed up.

#4 ·
It certainly sounds like a lot of crazy things are going out at the same time. To me, I'm reminded of guys who opened the hood and washed the engine down, getting water all over the place and inside some critical items such as the distributor. When that many dumb things are happening I'm lead to believe that water got into some computer elements some how. Can't really help you but maybe a battery disconnect and reset might just do the trick. And don't wash your engine compartment with power washers. Delicately hand wash your baby's most important areas. ;)

#6 ·
The molded lead frame is a part of the automatic transmission. There is a temperature sensor that for the transmission oil and some other stuff in it.

I disconnected the battery 2 weeks ago for 30 minutes. It didn't fix it.
I guess I should not have used a power washer to clean the car from
the front. Probably got wet in the hood...

You are right. I have learned my lession.

#7 ·
Following codes have been shown up:

P01288
P01703
P1780

The last code had something to do with the transmission problem that they have fixed.

The first code is a problem with the cylinder head temp sensor.
I have told my dealer that the problem seems to occur more often
when it is hot outside. But he ignored that. Could it be the reason
it loses power and goes into limp mode?

Where is it located in a Mustang 2012?

#13 ·
Yes. The cylinder head temperature sensor will cause the engine to go into limp mode if it fails.
They are typically located on the front of the passenger side cylinder head on Ford engines... But I'm not sure on the 3.7 engines.
Perhaps one of the members who actually owns a V6 will chime in as to the location of the CHT sensor.

#8 ·
I would try another dealer or shop. Let them know your concern with water under the hood and see if they find anything.

#9 ·
I think your car needs to be reprogrammed.
I would think any dealer would do that first before replacing parts that probably don't need replacing.
What your describing sounds like a computer hiccup to me.
Ronnie

#11 · (Edited)
The transmission is computer controlled and they do have some sort of recall on some of them, I heard it was just programming.
I have a 2012 V6 Automatic and my dealer reprogrammed my computer when I was in for the airbag recall.
I never had the problem and don't think I will.
Ronnie
PS:
I did recieve a letter from FORD that warned about the output speed sensor.
Satisfaction # 16N02

I will try to copy this and post it on this post later or in the morning.
It is a programming "FIX"

#12 ·
I found the letter from FORD about the transmission

Here it is:
Ronnie

Attachments

#15 ·
It sounds like this is an intermittent problem and the dealer is having a problem diagnosing it. You may have to take it back to the dealership several times to get it fixed.

Good Luck! Sorry if this wasn't more helpful.

#16 ·
My 2012 v6 went into limp mode several times over the course of a couple of months. I read somewhere that there is a throttle body recall for some models. Mine didn't happen to be one of them. I replaced my throttle body with the larger BBK unit about 6 months ago and haven't had the problem since.

#17 ·
Customer Satisfaction Program 16B23. I was on the list and had mine replaced. I wasn't having any problems :). I have 'read' some people that bought the BBK throttle body to replace their factory throttle body have been paid the cost from Ford for the BBK throttle body. 'If' their VIN is on the 'list' :)

#18 ·
Hello guys.

I have a huge problem.

I pressed on the gas pedal, the car didn't go any faster, but the RPM increased.
Since then, I had the problem everyday. Sometimes it happens after driving 20 minutes,
somtimes it happens right away after driving out of my garage. I am not sure if the
car wash had anything to do with it or if it was the very hot weather that day that

The first time the problem occured, the limp home mode light showed up. But this was
only once. After the restart, it was gone forever. I remember that the speedometer
needle sometimes bounced around when the problem occured or that it stayed at zero
even when I was driving. Also, one time when I tried to turn off the AC, it took 5

If the problem occurs in "drive" and I move into "reverse", the car doesn't move a bit
and only the RPM increases. After a restart, the "reverse" works. At least so much that
I can drive a few meters in reverse mode. So everytime the problem shows up and I try

Anyways. I just got the car back from my dealer. The error codes showed that the

But when I was drving home, the problem came again. I restarted, and I made it back
home without it showing up again. It seems that the molded lead frame swap didn't do
anything.

I cleaned the MAF-sensor and the Throttle Body. Nothing changed. I think I may have
****ed something up when I washed my car. I washed it from the front and I think that

#19 ·
Hello guys.

I have a huge problem.

anything.

I honestly have the same exact problem I’ve searched up everywhere and couldn’t find anyone to help me with my problem, everytime I seem to explain the issue to a mechanic they look confused and I tried replacing all the parts I could think of and still nothing. I know this post is very old but I hope you’ve figured what the problem was and could share the fix with me, I’ve been having this issue for 2 months now and spent **** loads of money trying to guess the defective part but nothing the problem keeps coming back !
Were you able to fix it ?
please let me know thanks.

#24 ·
Hello guys.

I have a huge problem.

anything.

Hi literally have the same problem with my v6 please let me know on how did you fix the problem, honestly getting frustrated now

#25 · (Edited)
Is your Stang an automatic built between 8/19/11 and 2/21/12? If so there is a known transmission problem with those cars which had a recall in 2016. My 2012 was built in July 2011 and no problems with the auto so far.

Dealers will inspect the powertrain control module for diagnostic trouble codes tied to the issue. If no related diagnostic trouble codes are present, dealers will update the powertrain control module software, which will eliminate the downshift into first gear if an OSS fault occurs. Additionally, as part of the corresponding customer satisfaction program, Ford will provide a one-time replacement of the lead frame at no charge within 10 years or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date. If related diagnostic trouble codes are present, dealers will update the powertrain control module software and replace the lead frame at no cost to the customer.
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...es-three-safety-recalls-and-two-safety-co.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.