Mustang 2012 loses power - dealer couldn't fix - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #1

Region: Europe
Mustang 2012 loses power - dealer couldn't fix

Hello guys.

I have a huge problem.

I have a Ford Mustang 2012 V6 automatic.

After a car wash 5 weeks ago, I suddenly lost power during driving. Eventhough
I pressed on the gas pedal, the car didn't go any faster, but the RPM increased.
After a restart, it ran fine again for 4 days. Then the whole problems started.
Since then, I had the problem everyday. Sometimes it happens after driving 20 minutes,
somtimes it happens right away after driving out of my garage. I am not sure if the
car wash had anything to do with it or if it was the very hot weather that day that
triggered it the first time.

The first time the problem occured, the limp home mode light showed up. But this was
only once. After the restart, it was gone forever. I remember that the speedometer
needle sometimes bounced around when the problem occured or that it stayed at zero
even when I was driving. Also, one time when I tried to turn off the AC, it took 5
seconds before it reacted.

If the problem occurs in "drive" and I move into "reverse", the car doesn't move a bit
and only the RPM increases. After a restart, the "reverse" works. At least so much that
I can drive a few meters in reverse mode. So everytime the problem shows up and I try
to drive reverse, I have to restart the car before the swap from D to R works.

Anyways. I just got the car back from my dealer. The error codes showed that the
molded lead frame had to be replaced. It was done. I waited 2 weeks and thought
that the car finally works again.

But when I was drving home, the problem came again. I restarted, and I made it back
home without it showing up again. It seems that the molded lead frame swap didn't do
anything.

I cleaned the MAF-sensor and the Throttle Body. Nothing changed. I think I may have
****ed something up when I washed my car. I washed it from the front and I think that
water may have went into the engine. Maybe ignition plugs got wet?

My dealer said there is nothing he can really do. He also said that ignition etc. could
not be the reason as there would be lights on and so on. But I do not think that.

I hope someone here can help me out.
Ragnar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar92 View Post
My dealer said there is nothing he can really do. He also said that ignition etc. could
not be the reason as there would be lights on and so on. But I do not think that.

I also hope someone can chime in and help. Your dealer sounds more like they WONT help you. I bet there's something they could do to help you but they WONT. that's pretty messed up.
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

Thank you silverskoundrel. I feel very screwed over to be honest. It cost me around 850 dollar to replace the molded lead frame. I am lost right now without a working car given that I am self employed and need to be mobile at all times...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
It certainly sounds like a lot of crazy things are going out at the same time. To me, I'm reminded of guys who opened the hood and washed the engine down, getting water all over the place and inside some critical items such as the distributor. When that many dumb things are happening I'm lead to believe that water got into some computer elements some how. Can't really help you but maybe a battery disconnect and reset might just do the trick. And don't wash your engine compartment with power washers. Delicately hand wash your baby's most important areas.
MustangPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Lord NoMoney
Staff

idk what molded lead frame is lol
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #6

The molded lead frame is a part of the automatic transmission. There is a temperature sensor that for the transmission oil and some other stuff in it.

I disconnected the battery 2 weeks ago for 30 minutes. It didn't fix it.
I guess I should not have used a power washer to clean the car from
the front. Probably got wet in the hood...

You are right. I have learned my lession.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #7

Following codes have been shown up:

P01288
P01703
P1780

The last code had something to do with the transmission problem that they have fixed.

The first code is a problem with the cylinder head temp sensor.
I have told my dealer that the problem seems to occur more often
when it is hot outside. But he ignored that. Could it be the reason
it loses power and goes into limp mode?

Where is it located in a Mustang 2012?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I would try another dealer or shop. Let them know your concern with water under the hood and see if they find anything.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I think your car needs to be reprogrammed.
I would think any dealer would do that first before replacing parts that probably don't need replacing.
What your describing sounds like a computer hiccup to me.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

If the engine is revving and the car is not moving, it sounds like power is not getting transmitted... i wouldn't know how to go about testing a torque converter, but that's the link between the engine and transmission, so i'd start there.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The transmission is computer controlled and they do have some sort of recall on some of them, I heard it was just programming.
I have a 2012 V6 Automatic and my dealer reprogrammed my computer when I was in for the airbag recall.
I never had the problem and don't think I will.
Ronnie
PS:
I did recieve a letter from FORD that warned about the output speed sensor.
Satisfaction # 16N02

I will try to copy this and post it on this post later or in the morning.
It is a programming "FIX"
Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I found the letter from FORD about the transmission

Here it is:
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	for forum.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	244050  
Old 09-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Following codes have been shown up:

P01288
P01703
P1780

The last code had something to do with the transmission problem that they have fixed.

The first code is a problem with the cylinder head temp sensor.
I have told my dealer that the problem seems to occur more often
when it is hot outside. But he ignored that. Could it be the reason
it loses power and goes into limp mode?

Where is it located in a Mustang 2012?
Yes. The cylinder head temperature sensor will cause the engine to go into limp mode if it fails.
They are typically located on the front of the passenger side cylinder head on Ford engines... But I'm not sure on the 3.7 engines.
Perhaps one of the members who actually owns a V6 will chime in as to the location of the CHT sensor.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Perhaps one of the members who actually owns a V6 will chime in as to the location of the CHT sensor.
Yeah, if they can take the time and stop looking for ways to upgrade to a V8! Haha, had to drop that one.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
It sounds like this is an intermittent problem and the dealer is having a problem diagnosing it. You may have to take it back to the dealership several times to get it fixed.

Good Luck! Sorry if this wasn't more helpful.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:46 PM   #16

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Hello guys.

I have a huge problem.

I have a Ford Mustang 2012 V6 automatic.

After a car wash 5 weeks ago, I suddenly lost power during driving. Eventhough
I pressed on the gas pedal, the car didn't go any faster, but the RPM increased.
After a restart, it ran fine again for 4 days. Then the whole problems started.
Since then, I had the problem everyday. Sometimes it happens after driving 20 minutes,
somtimes it happens right away after driving out of my garage. I am not sure if the
car wash had anything to do with it or if it was the very hot weather that day that
triggered it the first time.

The first time the problem occured, the limp home mode light showed up. But this was
only once. After the restart, it was gone forever. I remember that the speedometer
needle sometimes bounced around when the problem occured or that it stayed at zero
even when I was driving. Also, one time when I tried to turn off the AC, it took 5
seconds before it reacted.

If the problem occurs in "drive" and I move into "reverse", the car doesn't move a bit
and only the RPM increases. After a restart, the "reverse" works. At least so much that
I can drive a few meters in reverse mode. So everytime the problem shows up and I try
to drive reverse, I have to restart the car before the swap from D to R works.

Anyways. I just got the car back from my dealer. The error codes showed that the
molded lead frame had to be replaced. It was done. I waited 2 weeks and thought
that the car finally works again.

But when I was drving home, the problem came again. I restarted, and I made it back
home without it showing up again. It seems that the molded lead frame swap didn't do
anything.

I cleaned the MAF-sensor and the Throttle Body. Nothing changed. I think I may have
****ed something up when I washed my car. I washed it from the front and I think that
water may have went into the engine. Maybe ignition plugs got wet?

My 2012 v6 went into limp mode several times over the course of a couple of months. I read somewhere that there is a throttle body recall for some models. Mine didn't happen to be one of them. I replaced my throttle body with the larger BBK unit about 6 months ago and haven't had the problem since.
mustang37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang37 View Post
My 2012 v6 went into limp mode several times over the course of a couple of months. I read somewhere that there is a throttle body recall for some models. Mine didn't happen to be one of them. I replaced my throttle body with the larger BBK unit about 6 months ago and haven't had the problem since.
Customer Satisfaction Program 16B23. I was on the list and had mine replaced. I wasn't having any problems . I have 'read' some people that bought the BBK throttle body to replace their factory throttle body have been paid the cost from Ford for the BBK throttle body. 'If' their VIN is on the 'list'
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang