Hard braking scare 2013 premium convertible - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Hard braking scare 2013 premium convertible

Earlier this year I was cruising north on the Florida Turnpike at about 85 mph. I was cut off by a slow moving car and had to hit the brakes hard. To my surprise the car went all over the road and I thought I was headed for the median. The car only has 36,000 miles on the clock and seems to be in good shape. Any thoughts on what could have caused this behavior. Tire air pressure was satisfactory and tires were put on the month before I bought the car.
Thanks for any thoughts. This car has the strut support under the hood.
Patsslab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Over braking
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Still on stock tires? Arent they like a 215? Ask 215mm to stop 3700+ lbs moving at 85 mph and you have your answer.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Without additional info, I call inexperienced driver over reaction.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
I call inexperienced driver over reaction.
My answer was more polite. Lol
Old 10-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Did you just stand on the brake pedal like you are supposed to or did you pump the brakes????????
If you did not stand on that pedal and you did pump the brakes, The car will do that at that speed.
It probably happened so fast you probably won't remember what you did.
Anti lock only works if you don't let up on the brake pedal.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Did you just stand on the brake pedal like you are supposed to or did you pump the brakes????????
If you did not stand on that pedal and you did pump the brakes, The car will do that at that speed.
It probably happened so fast you probably won't remember what you did.
Anti lock only works if you don't let up on the brake pedal.
Ronnie
^This and stock tires. Unless there's something wrong with your suspension and it caused the car to lurch one way or the other.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Some vehicle things to check. Front wheel alignment - toe in spec in particular. Also are the brake pads stock & fully broken in? Some excellent replacement pads take repeated high speed (60 mph +) stops to get to where they bite the rotors evenly during serious braking.

If the road surface was in bad condition and your anti-locks were kicking in at highway speed and maybe you did a little subconscious steering correction then be glad things worked out
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Almost all new cars have anti lock brakes, If a person reads the manual they will know how to use them.
Most people never look at the manual and have no clue how to actually use the anti lock braking system.
People still think you have to pump the brake and when you do at a high speed the car may or may not swerve one way or another.
The only way anti lock brakes work is if you just stand on the pedal and the car will stop pretty straight no matter if the road is wet, bumpy or dirt.
Ronnie

This may help understand that the OP more then likely pumped the brake pedal and never knew he did it.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I had my daughter drive too fast on a snow covered parking lot just so she would learn how to brake.

I was taught to pump brakes. It's a hard habit to break.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I had my daughter drive too fast on a snow covered parking lot just so she would learn how to brake.

Did the same for my kids and I agree it's a hard habit to...brake! Lol
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you stand on the brakes of a modern car, and feel the pedal pulsating, the ABS is doing its job.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The Bosch vid only shows one low speed situation toward the end where the shoulder is a little bumpy. All the other examples are on better surfaces than a lot of USA roads, Lol. My point is when a stiff sporty suspension doesn't keep the tires on the ground you can get some extra steering effect from ABS while keeping the brake pedal on hard as taught for ABS.

I doubt the OP tried to pump the brakes as nobody does this on dry roads. The Mustang's stability control (Advance Trac) uses the ABS system too but again depends on tire contact to control the assistance. If all this sounds like theory try braking hard on a quiet paved washboard street at moderate speed and see what happens!
Old 10-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

The only issue here is the tires. It's a tall, skinny tire stopping a ton of weight from a high speed. The sidewall is going to deflect unevenly side to side and on each rotation and the vehicle is going to wander.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

All of the experts can do what they feel is best, but I sure do love my ABS on my Mustang.
Like some said::
Quote:
It does take some thought but I learned from my tracking days that the ABS is way to hard to ignore.
Some of the race cars I have driven with ABS had no problem with having a stiff suspension,
And, before the remodel of the Daytona speedway, the road course was like a New York roadway. So rough that you would never think they would let it get so bad.

As far as the video, there are other one that you can find on you-tube.
Ronnie
Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post

Very Hard
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #17

I am 63 and have been driving since I was 13. I am familiar with ABS Brakes and to stand on the brake and not pump the brake. I've had ABS on three of my motorcycles and have engaged them on occasion.
I would like to investigate the tires. What do I need to put on the car to prevent this from happening.
Prior to buying this car we drove a 2003 BMW 330CI for 5 years and 60,000 miles and I never experienced anything like this during spirited driving. Thanks for all your input.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Have you tried to re-create it?

side note: I doubt it's the hood struts......
Old 10-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm just very happy you did not crash.
Ronnie
Old 10-05-2017, 07:29 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsslab View Post
I am 63 and have been driving since I was 13. I am familiar with ABS Brakes and to stand on the brake and not pump the brake. I've had ABS on three of my motorcycles and have engaged them on occasion.
I would like to investigate the tires. What do I need to put on the car to prevent this from happening.
Prior to buying this car we drove a 2003 BMW 330CI for 5 years and 60,000 miles and I never experienced anything like this during spirited driving. Thanks for all your input.
Wider and taller rims. Less sidewall and more contact patch. look for like an 18 x 9 / 18 x 9.5, 19 x 9.5 is also a common size. Then slap like a 255 - 265 on there and you should be fine. These cars are ridiculously under-tired from the factory.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I?ve had my fair share of hard braking on the 215 tires and never had it go anywhere but straight even in rain. I don?t think tires are the issue unless they?re cheap Chinese tires or something which nowadays aren?t even that bad either.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I had a friend that put some tires on his T-Bird a few years ago that were sold as saving gas and would last 70,000 mile.
OMG
Going off the I4 at route 27 the T-bird spun out. ( Steve was really going to fast)
No damage, But He sure got a set of Michelin's soon after.
I can't remember what the brand of those tires were but they sure must have had a very hard compound.
Ronnie
Old 10-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

When i bought my miata it had 600 treadwear tires lol ... i didnt even know that was a thing. You could get the tires to squeal and let go in a 25 mph corner, they were useless.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

There is a big difference in the handling characteristics of a BMW vs a Mustang.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #25

Voltwings, thanks for the suggestions on the tires. The tires on the car were installed by the dealer just before I bought the car so maybe they were the cheapest thing he could find. Revvv, you are correct that there is a lot of difference between the BMW and the Mustang. I enjoyed every mile driving the BMW but disliked the recurring mechanical and suspension issues. I guess I sacrificed the fun factor for dependability.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

The BMWs have some pretty trick front suspension from the factory, but it doesnt take much to get the mustang there. Just depends on how much you want to spend haha.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
While you are investigating the tires, you should do a close inspection of the brakes. At 36k miles, it is possible that the car has the original pads. There may be one or more that has become glazed, causing the car to pull to one side during hard braking.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Voltwings, thanks for the suggestions on the tires. The tires on the car were installed by the dealer just before I bought the car so maybe they were the cheapest thing he could find. Revvv, you are correct that there is a lot of difference between the BMW and the Mustang. I enjoyed every mile driving the BMW but disliked the recurring mechanical and suspension issues. I guess I sacrificed the fun factor for dependability.
The dealer could have replaced the tires to hide uneven wear & make misalignment less noticeable. Cheep tires just don't grip but won't directly add to instability under braking. Alignment or a worn suspension will have a more dramatic effect.

Compared to BMWs the S197 Mustang can steer and handle well on smooth roads. After all the '11 & '12 Boss 302 is usually a faster track car than an M3 If you do get into suspension, brake & tire mods don't buy cheep. There is a lot of poor quality stuff for Stangs out there than Bimmer owners are never offered.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The same thing happened to me on Friday heading home from work, thought of this thread right away. I have the answer (at least in my case) we had traffic. Guy in front of me stopped short at about 80, I hit the brakes hard, anti locks are just starting to their thing (I mean about half a pulse),suddenly he lets go of the brake and starts rolling again, so I let go of my brake, soon as I do I end up fighting to stay in my lane.
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The Mustang has pretty quick steering, in a panic it's easy to grab the wheel with a death grip, lock your elbows and send unwanted steering inputs to the car. Try a much lighter hold on the wheel and try not to put in any steering inputs that aren't very deliberate. Between the ABS and the Advance Trac it should stop nice and straight.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:51 AM   #31

I apologize for the delayed reply. I don't have internet or decent signal for my cell phone so I have to wait for the sun moon and stars to line up so I can check posts. Thanks Logan541. I was beginning to think I was nuts. I am grateful for all the replys. I have some homework to do on tires and condition of my brake shoes.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Well if you have shoes then i found your problem
Old 10-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

stock tires and crummy oem brakes.
Bastard6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #34

Can someone recommend some brake PADS to replace the OEM pads on the car. I don't want to change the size of the tires. What would be recommendations for a tire with a stronger sidewall.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can someone recommend some brake PADS to replace the OEM pads on the car. I don't want to change the size of the tires. What would be recommendations for a tire with a stronger sidewall.
Cant go wrong with EBC pads honestly.
Bastard6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang