BAMA Tune trouble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #1

Region: California
BAMA Tune trouble

Hey there people of Mustang Evolition I received my new tune from BAMA today so when I got home from work I started to return my Mustang to stock settings in preparation for the tune update but when the process had finished my all the lights came on in the cluster and I found I could no longer start my car. When I turn the key the red car icon with the lock through it flashes and then nothing happens the car just sits silent. I immediately realized there was a serious problem so after reading some post on here about similar problems I tried all the suggestions like pulling the battery for 30 minutes then trying again but nothing... Desperate I tried to re tune because the car worked perfectly before I tried returning to stock but i just got error code #11020 "Unable to read vehicle information" from the tuner. So now I'm at a loss I don't know what to do from here I'm going to call BAMA in the morning and try to fix this without my car I have no way to get to work. I just don't get it I have tuned and re tuned many times without an issue I always follow the directions in the emails to the punctuation because I have been terrified that something like this would happen and yet here I am...
MetalHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 04:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
This is an SCT issue, not a Bama issue. Although Bama tunes have their own issues......
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yes, call Bama. Your best option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #4

Thank you for your suggestions guys! Just an update I gave SCT a call and thankfully they were able to get me back in with a bypass. I was told for reasons they were unsure about when the stock tune was placed back on the computer it triggered the engine immobilizer preventing me from re tuning or starting the car. I must say the team at SCT is great they were super helpful and very friendly through the entire process!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Always helps to contact the manufacturer first....
Old 10-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
So did you install your new BAMA tune yet??
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
Thank you for your suggestions guys! Just an update I gave SCT a call and thankfully they were able to get me back in with a bypass. I was told for reasons they were unsure about when the stock tune was placed back on the computer it triggered the engine immobilizer preventing me from re tuning or starting the car. I must say the team at SCT is great they were super helpful and very friendly through the entire process!
Glad to know that SCT helped you out of a tough situation. What exactly were SCT’s instructions? I would like to know for future reference if this ever happens to me. What was the “bypass” instructions?
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Glad to know that SCT helped you out of a tough situation. What exactly were SCT’s instructions? I would like to know for future reference if this ever happens to me. What was the “bypass” instructions?
I would like to know this as well.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #9

Sorry for the late reply had a busy weekend running some errands. So after some basic trouble shooting the customer support rep at SCT told me that he needed to remote access my tuner so he could write a bypass to my stock tune. Using the program teamviewer he was able to take control of my home PC. From there I was asked to plug my tuner into the PC via USB the where he was able to pull a stock file from my device using SCT's device updater software. After a couple minutes on hold the rep returned and we used teamviewer once again where he uploaded the now modified stock tune to my device. Fingers crossed I was told to try to return my car to stock again, after about eight minutes of me holding my breath it worked and I was back to stock and able to start my car again! So naturally I asked why this happened in the first place I was told that they had never seen this happen before at least not when returning to the stock tune but he suspected the anti theft system was the culprit. He said he believes that for one reason or another the system was triggered during the tuning process possibly corrupting the file being flashed to the car causing the car to enter some kind of "lock down mode" to prevent theft from happening. All in all the entire process took thirty minutes which is super fast in my opinion, I wasn't even late to work that morning haha.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Nice to know SCT stepped up and made things happen.

I have to admit, I miss the simplicity of the throttle body fuel injection and carbs. A simple distributor to feed a signal to the plugs and life was easy.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #11

To anwser Coosawjack's question.

Yes I did! Bama made some changes to my throttle response as I had requested and WOW what a difference. Makes my Mustang feel like it use to back when I still had the JMS PedalMax in it!
Old 10-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm likely going to order tunes from Steeda in the future and dump BAMA. I can't find a difference between any of the tunes. They all feel just like the factory tune.

I do get spark knock if I run anything less than 93 (and it has to be very good gas). The timing is apparently adjusted. Lol
Old 10-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
You could always switch to an MPT tune and call it a day.... they hold the record for the fastest naturally aspirated cars. Tholland did do good on bama back in the day tho so did greg with their 12.6 and 12.7 runs, but i think greg(z28th1s) was on lund.
3SevenStangVids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SevenStangVids View Post
You could always switch to an MPT tune and call it a day.... they hold the record for the fastest naturally aspirated cars. Tholland did do good on bama back in the day tho so did greg with their 12.6 and 12.7 runs, but i think greg(z28th1s) was on lund.
oh great here comes the MPT fan boys. There is so much hate for BAMA, people always saying that they blow up engines and are a crappy tune. I will sit here and wait for the proof that they cant come up with.................
Old 10-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
here is my curve with my BAMA tune. I will wait for someone to post a MPT curve

Old 10-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanchola2 View Post
here is my curve with my BAMA tune. I will wait for someone to post a MPT curve

I know what I am about to say may come off as harsh and or rude. Please do not take my comments in that manner. I do not have negative intentions at all.

I don't see a linear pull in HP or torque, but that could be a characteristic of the 3.7 engine.

I would like to see the full data log along side of the dyno pull.

As for BAMA; at the moment they do not appear to be addressing customers on a personal level as some of the other shops, tuners, and parts distributors do. That is a big reason I choose other vendors vs AM. I worked as a customer service and tech consultant for NOPI and for a competitor. It is easy to grow a mundane box store mindset. Right now, that is where I personally see AM. I see them as the NOPI of the Mustang market.

When it comes to tuning; dyno numbers do not impress me that much. Real world numbers make a difference, not a spreadsheet. I have not seen BAMA tunes cars winning races. I do see Steeda tuned cars on the podium though.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

what times have all motor steeda cars ran ? Because I have yet to see one. Record all motor run is on an email MPT tune 12.1 @ 113mph
Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
what times have all motor steeda cars ran ? Because I have yet to see one. Record all motor run is on an email MPT tune 12.1 @ 113mph
What year car and engine?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

2014 3.7L MT82 https://youtu.be/XPDYvWauV-M
Old 10-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
114 all motor? Holy crap, i almost have a hard time believing that.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

We just had another memeber on the FB groups hit 110 in an automatic on a stock converter, minimal suspension, and not even full exhaust. The guy Nick who set the record was completely dialed in full suspension, ran in 0 or better DA, and was cutting 1.5 60 fts. Had a few people verify car was clean of nitrous so we are told.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
114 all motor? Holy crap, i almost have a hard time believing that.
Believe me it's hard to swallow i can bet... I tried so hard just to get a 12.90, killing my car in the process, and never coming close. Never saw better than 1500 DA though, but still. Quickest manual I've seen besides him was Greg Holland (z28th1s) making a 12.60 @ 109
Old 10-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I'll take issue with that. I have a performance tune on my 2015 PP GT. When I first got the tune, when I would first start it up in the morning the idle would go way up to almost 2k. and back down and back up again. I called them, and they were right on top of it. Had me make some data logs which I sent off to them, and they got the cold start issue ironed out. The Race tune is way beefier than the stock one was. I had a 2012 GTCS that felt faster than the 2015 until I got that tune. Anyway, they kept emailing me asking for updates. A lot of tech support doesn't bother following up. They did a great job in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I know what I am about to say may come off as harsh and or rude. Please do not take my comments in that manner. I do not have negative intentions at all.

I don't see a linear pull in HP or torque, but that could be a characteristic of the 3.7 engine.

I would like to see the full data log along side of the dyno pull.

As for BAMA; at the moment they do not appear to be addressing customers on a personal level as some of the other shops, tuners, and parts distributors do. That is a big reason I choose other vendors vs AM. I worked as a customer service and tech consultant for NOPI and for a competitor. It is easy to grow a mundane box store mindset. Right now, that is where I personally see AM. I see them as the NOPI of the Mustang market.

When it comes to tuning; dyno numbers do not impress me that much. Real world numbers make a difference, not a spreadsheet. I have not seen BAMA tunes cars winning races. I do see Steeda tuned cars on the podium though.
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Believe me it's hard to swallow i can bet... I tried so hard just to get a 12.90, killing my car in the process, and never coming close. Never saw better than 1500 DA though, but still. Quickest manual I've seen besides him was Greg Holland (z28th1s) making a 12.60 @ 109
108 - 110 i really dont have much problem with, that's a solid 300 whp give or take, but man 114 is moving. That's only 3 mph slower than my 5.0 lol, granted my setup was FAR from optimized and i'm as crappy a drag racer as they come.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang