Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What mods could I do next for performance?

4K views 64 replies 10 participants last post by  David Young 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've done quite a bit of modding to my V6 already, but mainly handling mods. Now I'm interested in adding power to my 3.7 and was wondering if anyone here has done work in their motors(cams, crankshafts, forged internals, etc.) I know Super Six Motorsports offers a whole lot of engine work for the V6, but I don't see anyone actually posting about their products on the web as much. So I was wondering what would you guys suggest or should I try and just do forced induction?

#2 ·
By the way this is what I have on my build:

• Air Raid CAI
• Koni Shocks/Struts
• Eibach Performance Springs
• 3.73 Gears
• Bama 91 octane tune (street and drag tune)
• Wilwood Performance Brakes 6 piston front with 13 inch rotors slotted and 4 piston rear with 12.8 inch rotors slotted
• Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
•FR500 Wheels 255/45/18 front and 285/40/18 rear
•(Ordered) Carbon Fiber Single piece Driveshaft

#21 ·
I would add a Procharger to your list and call it a day. :dance:

#5 ·
I chose Wilwood over Brembo because in my opinion if I compared the two, it's more of name brand at that point. The shop I went to suggested I do Wilwood's as well cause they use them on Factory Five Cobras they build and the customers were always happy with the brakes they get. I'm happy with my brake setup and I do some testing around the mountains where I live to see how they hold up and they definitely make a difference. I suggest them to people who are looking to upgrade.

#12 ·
That will be when my motor decides to give out on me, but I don't think that will be anytime soon since I try keep it well maintained. However though if it was to give out on me, I decided I like the body style of my car and would keep that and just swap it if I need to get a new motor.

#20 ·
If it was me, I'd go with arh or borla long tubes, ported s550 upper (you'll need to find an elbow to adapt it to the 11-14 air intake) into a ported lower.

If manual I'd also add the mgw race spec or at a minimum the Blowfish bracket (bonus doubles as a safety loop)

Reactions: audioAl
#27 ·
I cannot 100% say that as fact, but i would be surprised if there was. That being said, the top portion of the intake manifold IS different to clear the lower hood line.

I would like to think Ford put effort into matching the performance and distribution of airflow and, and, and ... but seeing as how they knew they were dropping the platform they could just have easily slapped something on there and called it a day.

#30 ·
The internal measurements across the board for the runners are all larger than a fully ported 11-14. The runners are shorter but a more direct airflow path. The few dynos I've seen shift the point where tq peaks to sooner in the power band.

I was able to find a comparison pic, the s550 is the top. I can't find the one showing measurements at the moment from my phone. If you zoom in you can see how much less material, ie larger the ports are relative to the gaskets.

#31 ·
Power adders

Thank's for the photo^, after selling my 3.7 I've not kept up with V6 ponies as much. Porting upper & lower and try Hooker headers for the pony, also you'll enjoy the throttle response with the carbon fiber driveshaft. My Blue Cyclone was much better after the switch to aluminum for me.

Attachments

#38 ·
Ideally in any circumstance the thought process behind porting is more flow = more power.

At low speeds you want a small runner to keep the air speed up. This makes good torque but struggles at high rpm as the small runner becomes a restriction for the volume of air. Consequently, large runners that flow lots of air at the top end result in slow, lazy air at low rpms - this is the reason butterflys exist, the artificially make the runner smaller to keep velocity up.
Fun fact, the same applies to exhaust headers so dont ever let anyone tell you exhausts like back pressure because they certainly do not, they like velocity.

So, this is why i am struggling to see low rpm torque gains with a larger runner manifold ... granted, changes in plenum volume and the magic of VVT may very well make this possible, but it's something i would like to look more into.

I'm over complicating this for you, but typically ported manifolds = more power.

#39 ·
Ideally in any circumstance the thought process behind porting is more flow = more power.

At low speeds you want a small runner to keep the air speed up. This makes good torque but struggles at high rpm as the small runner becomes a restriction for the volume of air. Consequently, large runners that flow lots of air at the top end result in slow, lazy air at low rpms - this is the reason butterflys exist, the artificially make the runner smaller to keep velocity up.
Fun fact, the same applies to exhaust headers so dont ever let anyone tell you exhausts like back pressure because they certainly do not, they like velocity.

So, this is why i am struggling to see low rpm torque gains with a larger runner manifold ... granted, changes in plenum volume and the magic of VVT may very well make this possible, but it's something i would like to look more into.

I'm over complicating this for you, but typically ported manifolds = more power
I think this last part is ultimately why the s550 intake shows gains, it's basically a factory ported upper (relative to the 11-14 upper).

#44 ·
The easiest way to make it work is with the stock air box with an airraid modular intake tube or a steeda cai. You need to rotate the pipe between airbox and TB 180* to compensate for the difference in throttle body mounting location. Going to be hard to make your airraid intake work with the molded tube design.

Other than that you just need to do a little customization to the pcv lines because the passenger side on the upper is in a little different location and the driver's side depending how you make the connection to the intake.

I've done the research to make it work but haven't had time with a 5 month old to make it happen.

#50 ·
My BBK ceramic coated long tube headers seem to be going to burn through in a year or two :(. I've been checking out the Hooker black heart long tubes also. I can't find a catted or a off road x pipe for them to see how much they cost. I wonder if my BBK catted shorty x pipe will work with the Hooker's? Just thinking out loud :). The Hookers look real good plus they are stainless steel :thumb:

#46 ·
I have Aluminum Lightweight Driveshaft and it's Flawless, not one problem at all and it was much less than Carbon Fiber. Long Tubes and Off road X-Pipe.

#47 ·
Awesome! I really want one cause I feel the two piece I have is getting weaker every time I push the car so I think I have to upgrade soon. The shop I was ordering the driveshaft though just told me last week the carbon fiber driveshaft was more expensive than he expected and that was after a full month of waiting for the part. How do you like the X-pipe? I was thinking about an H-pipe but I dont know I'm still up in the air on both. Is there a real performance gain with off road pipes compared to regular pipping?

#48 · (Edited)
Yes, with the Off road you need to Re-Tune your car. X-Pipe advantages are for High RPM's performance, H-Pipe for Lower RPM stuff. Meaning when they kick into their Power Band. Take off stuff as opposed to very High Speed stuff. And the Sound is a little different. H-Pipe may give a more deep Classic Hot Rod Sound, X-Pipe a higher Sound. I probably should have gone with the H pipe instead of the X pipe. Who really gets into the Higher RPM bands anyway, but the Lower bands you see/hear everyday in city traffic. Oh-yeah, Off-road means you don't Cats on your Car, If your State has Emissions then you will have a problem.

#51 ·
Is there like a major difference though with off-road pipping rather than just doing a custom h-pipe as far as performance? I know with off-road pipes you have more of the popping sound when you let off the throttle and you don't really have the ability to run cats unless you fit them on, but what's the difference after that? I do prefer the sound of the H-pipe over the X-pipe, it has a deeper aggressive tone over the x-pipe which gives it more of the European/Import sound. I do live in an emission state, but can't I just have a muffler shop make a flank for cats and a pipe so I can switch them out for when I need emissions?

#56 ·
Im not totally sold on the s550 upper. I do see the potential in it. But I like the top end of the s197. Considering the numbers I made with a ported s197 upper and lower ill stick with it. But honestly a ported intake is a good route to go. As is full exhaust. Personally Im running the 15+ performance pack 4 piston 14" calipers with some russell lines and dot4 fluid and theyve worked great! Especially compared to the weak oem 12.6" brakes on the standard (non performance pack) cars.
I honestly dont see a worthwhile gain from a carbon fiber drive shaft. Nor do I see much of a gain in going with a wildwood setup for the cost. I have less than 600 bucks in my brake setup which also includes a shelby 14" rear brake conversion (though still need to swap to the shelby booster). Honestly for a car thats going to see track time I recommend the brake upgrade along with ported/polished heads that have been port matched to the intake and throttle body. Also obviously recommend an mpt tune over a bama tune lol

#57 ·
Well I've been holding off on the intake swap and just thinking I'll hold off on that. I wanted to upgrade the headers on my car cause I felt as though that's one of the big performance upgrades for the 3.7 . The H-pipe is more for sound with some upgrade in the power. My brakes I paid $3500 for the installation and parts. The brakes I have on it stop on a dime. 60-0 was 5 seconds without slamming the brakes all the way down having the ABS kick in. For me it's not about having the biggest rotors or calipers. I wanted a great performance brake that I know is gonna stop my car and get the biggest bite on those brakes. Upgrading rear brakes help take tension off the front brakes, but I would of taken the Shelby front brakes because that's where the most of the braking is on the vehicle. Then again isn't the GT500 brakes just upgrade Brembo brakes? I honestly prefer these brakes for what I do going around the mountains here. At the end of the week, I always look at my front wheels and it's covered in brake dust. Plus the drivers here make me thankful for having these brakes. I've been thinking about switching to MPT over Bama since they offer the 3 tunes, but I was gonna wait till I get my headers.

#63 ·
Theres different performance calibrations. Even just from the PP 3.7s to base 3.7s. Base GT to Track pack GT's to GT500s. Part of these calibrations is for larger brakes and when the stability control abs and such kick in. All of that can be changed.

#64 ·
Update:

Hooker Blackheart longtube headers were installed and I gotta say you definitely feel that kick in the higher rpms. The stainless steel bronze color after driving it always gives it a nice touch when looking in the engine bay. Did a cat-delete and she screams when turning her on at anytime. Now she has a nice rumble at idle and has a roar going down the road. Just need to get my mufflers adjusted so it stops vibrating against my bumper. Also still no driveshaft up until now.

#65 ·
Good for you :thumb: I hope they last you a long time :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.