Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Water pump and pinion seal

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Siber Express 
#1 ·
Both crapped the bed in the same week. I even had that replacement hose on my cooling system and the water pump still went out. I called Ford and they told me it wasn't covered under powertrain warranty but I took it to a Ford dealership anyways and in the end they said it cost me nothing. That was the good news.

The bad news is things failing at 50,000 miles isn't a very good sign of things to come.

I think my next ride is going to be a WRX

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#3 ·
How many miles of that 50,000 was with the correct hose? The factory one was set up to suck air right into the pump damaging the seal. That is always what fails too. I replaced my hose at about 29,000 and have made it to 45,000 miles so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

#5 ·
I'm just wondering what it cost you to do the pinion seal. I have a 2006 and mine went. I have 84,000 miles on it. (Not kilometers as I switched my settings to U.S. instead of Canadian) I went to Ford and they were going to charge me over $400.00 to replace the pinion seal. I went to a well known and respected transmission and rear end shop and they quoted me $217.00. In the end, it cost me $163.00 because it didn't take them as long as expected.
Just wondering. Remember, this is Canadian dollars.

#6 ·
I dont know what they charged Ford for it but when I called a local guy he said to have a dealer do it because it had to be tightened to 400 ft lbs of torque and that if they dont do it right it will fail again?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#7 ·
eh my pinion seal went at like 15k miles. got it replaced under warranty.

#8 ·
So hey everyone,
What is this water pump/correct hose/pinion seal issue you are all referring to. I have a 2012 V6 Premium Pony V6 with 31,+++ miles on her, she had 18,500 when I bought her three years ago and have had no issues that you refer to.
Thanks for your time

#12 · (Edited)
The small tube that attaches near the pump is supposed to remove air from the system. The problem is the original hose had no check valve and was located where it could suck air out of the expansion tank and right into the pump supposedly damaging the seal according to Ford. The check valve prevents flow out if the tank and the hose should work correctly as designed. Ford must have bought a ton of those valveless hoses since they put them on every Cyclone Mustang until 2014 even after they had the TSB describing the fault.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/588/coolant-pump-leakage-2011-2014-ford-mustang

#13 ·
I've seen a few failures with folks that have put in the updated hose....idk but I would prefer the hose. I wonder if the water pump is just a weak link. At least the water pump is a fairly simple job and you can live with it leaking for a while.

#14 ·
My water pump went around 22,000 miles and my pinion seal has gone out twice - once at around 13,000 and once, I think, around 50,000. It is because the pinion seal has a tendency to leak that I have resisted changing the rear gear. I know if I change it and it leaks they will not cover it.

#15 ·
My water pump went around 22,000 miles and my pinion seal has gone out twice - once at around 13,000 and once, I think, around 50,000. It is because the pinion seal has a tendency to leak that I have resisted changing the rear gear. I know if I change it and it leaks they will not cover it.
Just wondering, are these cars still using the Ford 8.8 rear ends? Been around forever, not a known bad design for early pinion seal failure. Having worked in the oil seal making business, I could say pretty confidantly that the factory-seals used are faulty in some way. There are a surprisingly big number of variables working against the seal designer and maker. (ex-Dana employee).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.