When to change oil before storing Stang for winter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
When to change oil before storing Stang for winter

I am getting ready to store my 2013 V6 coupe for the winter (next 4 months) and was wondering at what point do you really need to change your oil before doing so. I still have over 3000 miles left until my next required 5k oil change. I always use Mobil1 Full Synthetic if that makes a difference. Also, I attempt to make it by the storage facility once a week to at least start my ride and if possible (no snow) drive it for about 10 miles or so. Based on this information should I get a new oil change? Also, any other maintenance items I should do besides full tank of gas, increase tire air pressure? As always thanks much for your time and feedback.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why would you need to change the oil? You'll have to forgive my ignorance, winter in Houston is 60* haha.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I have been told and actually saw a short show on the velocity channel this past week where an expert stated that used oil will become acidic if a vehicle sits for a long time. This may have been referring to a vehicle that sits for months without being started/driven. This show also mentioned radiator and brake fluids need to be changed, as well as maxing the tire air pressure.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I change mine at the regular interval, but I also will drive mine during the winter when it is warm out (summer only tires really don't like cold). I don't lock mine up for the whole winter, seems like when I lived in Longmont we still had days warm enough that I could have gotten mine out.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Change immediately before putting into storage. Usually only needs to be done at that time each year.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you are going to drive the car once a week, I wouldn't worry about it. Just change the oil at the regular 5000 mile interval.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I store mine every year, add some stabilizer to the fuel and change the oil in the spring. That's it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Why would you need to change the oil? You'll have to forgive my ignorance, winter in Houston is 60* haha.
I'm in GA. What is winter. It's 1am and I'm sitting outside reading the forum and haven't even considered the fire pit for heat. Still in a t-shirt.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
If you are going to drive it then change it when it is due.

If the car is going to be parked and sit all winter long like mine then change it withing a few 100 miles of storage. I then like to run mine about 500 miles in the spring and change it again. Oil tends to collect moisture over the winter months when it is cold like here in Boise. So I run it to knock the rust off the motor and put in fresh for summer driving.
Second Mustang with a 34 yr gap.
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Stabil (use the funnel) full tank of premium, 5K change interval? I think if you are storing it it should be on a time based schedule unless you drive alot. I did mine 6k year toy stored in winter on a 9 month schedule. this is 4x in 3 yrs which was my blend of often w/o wasting too much $. I would adjust my change schedule to my whims if it was going to be due during it's storage time. I doubt it really matters much unless your change interval is bad which sounds unlikely. It may become acidic (or whatever) but I assume there is only harm in extremes. I was never a fan of starting it but would put on a charger for a few hours 1x per month. This was easier as it was in my own garage
Old 11-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I believe in changing the oil before storage (I too had several 1,000 miles before it would be due — but changed it anyway...).
If you do change it right before storage, and still put any miles on it, make SURE the oil gets up to operating temperature each time. This takes a LOT longer than the operating temperature of the coolant — usually 20 miles or more.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I'm in GA. What is winter. It's 1am and I'm sitting outside reading the forum and haven't even considered the fire pit for heat. Still in a t-shirt.
Gonna be me in a few months... gets a little colder in Spain but dead of winter the night temps are mid 30s. This time of year its in the 40s and 50s at night. I like the cold tho, I can be out in that weather in a hoodie and shorts and be good.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I absolutely hate hibernating a car. The thought of having something you can't drive is silly, until you see what road salt does to a car lol. I always said I would only leave mine in the garage when the roads are snow covered, etc. After driving it in that way for a few years, I noticed how much work it was to keep it at a "show car" level, I decided I need to hibernate mine. I put mine in a sort of half-*** hibernation. I won't drive mine if there's road salt, but I will if the roads are clear and dry. If I get lucky, I'll be able to get her out all the way up until January before we have had snow where they throw salt down.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
You'll be bundled up when you get up here.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #15

Region: Canada
Storage

I’ve been storing mine for 11 years now (06) , as previously mentioned fuel stabilization and oil change just before parking. It’s not restarted till following spring , also battery tender connected for the duration.
Vertablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I store mine every winter, usually goes away in November, awakens in March/April. Annual oil change when it goes up for winter and I send a sample to Blackstone Labs. I put about 7k miles a year on her and according to the lab, the oil should be good for 8-9k.
Stabil 360 in with full tank of gas, up on blocks in heated garage and battery tender. Assorted tinkering all winter long.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Always change oil before Winter storage.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 PM   #18

Region: Iowa
I've never changed oil before storage ever. Mine is stored in a heated garage from the first snow (Nov/Dec) to first good rain (Mar/Apr) to wash salt from the roads. I also only leave a couple gallons of gas in the tank because I want to fill it with fresh gas in the spring. I change oil every 10k miles with Mobil 1 and Wix XP filters. It's my daily driver during the summer and always fully warmed up, no short trips.

My dad was a mechanic who always preached 3k mile changes with dino oil. He had an '73 F100 with 285k before they body finally rusted away. I had a hard time going to longer oil change intervals but with today's oil and filter technology and oil analysis I have no problem with 10k oil changes.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
jt12racn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

full tanks make condensation less likely.....and for the cost I use Stabil.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang