Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Best way to repair a hole in plastic?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rubyredv6 
#1 ·
So the other day I was testing some halogen bulbs out and I decide to rest the one I?m testing on the radiator cover sitting up not touching it or anything but when I come back it?s fallen over and melted a hole in my radiator cover. No damage to anything else thankfully and caught it before it had chance to catch on fire but point being I know have a hole in it. Does anyone know of any good fixes for patching the hole. Afterwards I also want to paint it so if it?s a fix where I can get it as smooth and flat as possible that would be great. Thanks everyone. Also i think it?s about the size of a quarter. Honestly haven?t really looked at it much lol.

#3 ·
I was going to tell you to buy a new one, until I saw the price of over $200 :(

#5 ·
The plastic welding kit seems a little too labor intensive I was hoping I could just patch the back then fill it in with some kind of compound that would just fill it. Haven?t seen anything like that yet though not sure if jb plastic weld would do it or maybe bondo pretty sure bondo will not stick to plastic but I have never done bodywork or anything I figure there has to be something to fix a hole in a bumper and it?s probably the welding kit. As for price yeah most of the dumb plastic parts on out cars are crazy expensive for what they are. And to the sticker I was really hoping I could fix it so I can maybe sand it and paint it.

#10 ·
The plastic welding kit seems a little too labor intensive I was hoping I could just patch the back then fill it in with some kind of compound that would just fill it. Haven?t seen anything like that yet though not sure if jb plastic weld would do it or maybe bondo pretty sure bondo will not stick to plastic but I have never done bodywork or anything I figure there has to be something to fix a hole in a bumper and it?s probably the welding kit. As for price yeah most of the dumb plastic parts on out cars are crazy expensive for what they are. And to the sticker I was really hoping I could fix it so I can maybe sand it and paint it.
Isn't part of owning an iconic muscle car the labor of love that goes into it? :lol:

#7 ·
Look for a 3M two part eurothane. You can mix it like an epoxy and fill the plastic. Or, you could experiment, melt a piece of plastic that is the same type and slowly fill the hole, smoothing it with a popsicle stick or paint stirring stick.

I've done it, and retextured the parts. It is labor intensive.

#8 ·
I like JB weld and they make a 2 part epoxy that binds to most plastics. Id do just as mentioned, something to block the underside, mix and fill the hole with some overspread on top and bottom. Sand it out and paint it. I used marine JB weld to fill and form the contours where I cut out the original vent trays in my Cervini hood. Came out nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.