Best way to repair a hole in plastic? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Best way to repair a hole in plastic?

So the other day I was testing some halogen bulbs out and I decide to rest the one I?m testing on the radiator cover sitting up not touching it or anything but when I come back it?s fallen over and melted a hole in my radiator cover. No damage to anything else thankfully and caught it before it had chance to catch on fire but point being I know have a hole in it. Does anyone know of any good fixes for patching the hole. Afterwards I also want to paint it so if it?s a fix where I can get it as smooth and flat as possible that would be great. Thanks everyone. Also i think it?s about the size of a quarter. Honestly haven?t really looked at it much lol.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Look up plastic welding kits.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I was going to tell you to buy a new one, until I saw the price of over $200
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
buy any performance part and install the included sticker over the hole.

side note: when cleaning out my old parts I came across both stickers and an air freshener from Airaid. it smelled like citrus!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The plastic welding kit seems a little too labor intensive I was hoping I could just patch the back then fill it in with some kind of compound that would just fill it. Haven?t seen anything like that yet though not sure if jb plastic weld would do it or maybe bondo pretty sure bondo will not stick to plastic but I have never done bodywork or anything I figure there has to be something to fix a hole in a bumper and it?s probably the welding kit. As for price yeah most of the dumb plastic parts on out cars are crazy expensive for what they are. And to the sticker I was really hoping I could fix it so I can maybe sand it and paint it.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

I would put something on the back of the hole thane get a hot-glue gun and fill in the hole. Take some sandpaper and smooth it down then paint.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Look for a 3M two part eurothane. You can mix it like an epoxy and fill the plastic. Or, you could experiment, melt a piece of plastic that is the same type and slowly fill the hole, smoothing it with a popsicle stick or paint stirring stick.

I've done it, and retextured the parts. It is labor intensive.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I like JB weld and they make a 2 part epoxy that binds to most plastics. Id do just as mentioned, something to block the underside, mix and fill the hole with some overspread on top and bottom. Sand it out and paint it. I used marine JB weld to fill and form the contours where I cut out the original vent trays in my Cervini hood. Came out nice.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^^ This, JB plastic weld. Wont be pretty, but you can fix that after the fact with a little TLC and elbow grease.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyredv6 View Post
The plastic welding kit seems a little too labor intensive I was hoping I could just patch the back then fill it in with some kind of compound that would just fill it. Haven?t seen anything like that yet though not sure if jb plastic weld would do it or maybe bondo pretty sure bondo will not stick to plastic but I have never done bodywork or anything I figure there has to be something to fix a hole in a bumper and it?s probably the welding kit. As for price yeah most of the dumb plastic parts on out cars are crazy expensive for what they are. And to the sticker I was really hoping I could fix it so I can maybe sand it and paint it.
Isn't part of owning an iconic muscle car the labor of love that goes into it?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I do not mind the labor at all. It can be a project. Also I figure I have to sand anyways before I paint it so it will not be that big of a deal. I will probably end up using jbweld I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks everyone
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Jb weld worked great just taped one side and filled it in now gotta sand it smooth it and decide what I want to do in terms of paint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang