Track App versus Phone App - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Track App versus Phone App

So I thought for the fun of it today I would compare my 0 to 60 using both a phone app that measures performance and the factory track apps. Pretty big difference in the results. First time I didn't test out the track apps just the phone app to see if it worked got a 6.0 0-60 impressive considering my fast ever has been 6.0 on the track apps with perfect conditions and good weather. Second time I got a 5.7 on the phone app and a 6.8 on the track apps. Pretty big difference. Track apps is where it would normally be at for my stock car. Question now is which is more accurate? Phone app is called Trakstats (iphone).
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Probably not the phone. The phone uses gps and the internal acceleromoter, which means if the phone is not 100% still when you're accelerating the results will be off.

The track apps probably has a read out from the trans and probably has a pretty good understanding of when you're at 0, and when you're at 60 ... I would put my faith in the on-board track apps. Full disclosure, i have never used the track apps feature, and am basing this off my opinion.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I do remember that when I was doing it the force of the acceleration pushed me back in my seat so it would probably throw the phone off as well. I really would like a good accurate measurement though because I feel like the track apps just aren't accurate either. Like it takes them a bit to actually start and end recording sort of like its lagging behind what is really happening. I guess bet would be maybe doing a video and doing frame by frame to see how close they are. I might just do that tomorrow and let everyone know just for future reference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Keep in mind, the track apps latency might just be the display and not the actual data acquisition.

Do you have a tuner? The SCT records like a billion lines a second (sarcasm), the data capture rate is insane, so it would be pretty easy to get an accurate 0-60 from a datalog.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I've been playing with Speed Logic from time to time. If you have a way to stabilize the phone the app is fairly accurate.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #6

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Probably not the phone. The phone uses gps and the internal acceleromoter, which means if the phone is not 100% still when you're accelerating the results will be off.

The track apps probably has a read out from the trans and probably has a pretty good understanding of when you're at 0, and when you're at 60 ... I would put my faith in the on-board track apps. Full disclosure, i have never used the track apps feature, and am basing this off my opinion.
Track Apps works off an accelerometer. Also, if the phone is not perfectly level it's accelerometer is not reading the acceleration accurately.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No tuner. What I really wanna do I guess is just test the accuracy of the track apps because I see people with out them claiming fast times fully stock then some people with them are even higher than me at mid 7?s. Even my 6.8 doesn?t seem right feels like it should be faster just looking at the Speedo I?ll check for sure tommorow by doing a video and I?ll compare to track app results.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Take it to the track and see what the times are.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
just record a video of your speedometer and then look at the length of the video from 0 to 60.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
just record a video of your speedometer and then look at the length of the video from 0 to 60.
That's too simple. Stop giving obvious answers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang