Red Ryder getting new shoes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Red Ryder getting new shoes

Ordered four Michelin 235/50 18 PILOT HXMXN4 tires for my 2012 MCA today.
I sure need them, My original P Zero Nero's are really loud and worn out.
Anybody using these tires, Let me know if you like them ---OR NOT---
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
They are for a touring tire, had a set on a Mazda6, not a performance tire though.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #3

Region: Texas
After wearing out two sets of P Zero Neros on my '13 (about 14K each) I switched to BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S -235/50ZR18s. Wet/dry performance and cornering was very much improved.

Was so impressed I mounted this same tire on a wider after market rim on my brand new '17, these are 255/45ZR18s and with less than 100 miles on them I expect they'll perform the same.

Recommended.
Jack the cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the cat View Post
After wearing out two sets of P Zero Neros on my '13 (about 14K each) I switched to BFG g-Force COMP-2 A/S -235/50ZR18s. Wet/dry performance and cornering was very much improved.

Was so impressed I mounted this same tire on a wider after market rim on my brand new '17, these are 255/45ZR18s and with less than 100 miles on them I expect they'll perform the same.

Recommended.
I’ve had the BFGs as well on my ‘13 for just over a year and still feel these have been the best tires I’ve ever owned. Likewise recommended
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
its crazy how i always see people talking smack about the pzero nero tires, but the 19s i got with my new rims are SO much better than the BFGs i had on there stock. like, it's ridiculous how much more planted the car is on these new tires and it hardly fishtails like the bfg's did
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
its crazy how i always see people talking smack about the pzero nero tires, but the 19s i got with my new rims are SO much better than the BFGs i had on there stock. like, it's ridiculous how much more planted the car is on these new tires and it hardly fishtails like the bfg's did
I found them fine in the dry and even light snow until they got down to about 6/32. I wish I could say the same about rain though, they have been the 2nd worst tires I've ever owned in wet weather driving, only Goodyear rsa's were worse.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't race at all anymore so I want a nice quite smooth tire. From the checking I did, The Michelin PILOT HXMXN4 tires seem to fill the bill for what I want.
mariusvt once had them on his Mazda so maybe he can fill me in on how they were.
I live in Florida and have a strict rule "NOT" to ever cross the northern state line in the winter so snow is never a problem for me.
Ronnie
Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn’t see anyone talking smack about the Pzero Nero’s in this thread. Also, the BFG G-Force COMP-2 A/S Tires couldn’t have been stock on your car as they weren’t produced by BFG until late 2015, and your ride is a 2014. Again, not talking smack here, just sayin’
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The original P-Zero tires that came on my Mustang were great as long as it was dry, They were horrible in a heavy rain due to severe hydroplaning.
They wore very even through the 32,000 miles they lasted.
************************************BUT*******************************************
The tire noise from day 365 or so has been terrible, They were OK the first year or so but the more miles I put on them, The worse they got.
I'm going for the Michelin's and from what I have been reading and hearing is that they are smooth and quiet and last around 60 or 70 thousand miles if rotated.
Expensive but I hope worth it.
Ronnie
Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Agree with you Ronnie 100% on the P-Zeros.

That was my exact take on them. They came with the car so no great loss.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
I found them fine in the dry and even light snow until they got down to about 6/32. I wish I could say the same about rain though, they have been the 2nd worst tires I've ever owned in wet weather driving, only Goodyear rsa's were worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
I didn’t see anyone talking smack about the Pzero Nero’s in this thread. Also, the BFG G-Force COMP-2 A/S Tires couldn’t have been stock on your car as they weren’t produced by BFG until late 2015, and your ride is a 2014. Again, not talking smack here, just sayin’
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The original P-Zero tires that came on my Mustang were great as long as it was dry, They were horrible in a heavy rain due to severe hydroplaning.
************************************BUT*******************************************
The tire noise from day 365 or so has been terrible, They were OK the first year or so but the more miles I put on them, The worse they got.
I'm going for the Michelin's and from what I have been reading and hearing is that they are smooth and quiet and last around 60 or 70 thousand miles if rotated.
Ronnie
the bfg's i'm tlaking are the stock radials on the 17 inch rims...not anything special. they were trash.

and you're all saying the pzeros are bad in the rain? that's what i meant when i say i'm more planted...this thing doesn't fishtail at all in the rain like the BFG's did. i have a **** ton more traction with the pzeros than i ever did with the BFG's. it doesn't hydroplane and the rear doesn't kick out at all with the pzeros.

btw talking trash, i meant in the forum in general, not this thread. some people voiced their disdain for these when i was asking about new rims, but i got them, and i'm much happier with these than i was wtih the bfg's
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 12-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the bfg's i'm tlaking are the stock radials on the 17 inch rims...not anything special. they were trash.

and you're all saying the pzeros are bad in the rain? that's what i meant when i say i'm more planted...this thing doesn't fishtail at all in the rain like the BFG's did. i have a **** ton more traction with the pzeros than i ever did with the BFG's. it doesn't hydroplane and the rear doesn't kick out at all with the pzeros.

btw talking trash, i meant in the forum in general, not this thread. some people voiced their disdain for these when i was asking about new rims, but i got them, and i'm much happier with these than i was wtih the bfg's
Yes, the p zeros have been absolute trash in the rain for me, wanting to skate all over. They were better in the snow than the rain amusingly enough.

As for the Michelins Ronnie, they were the OEM tires on the Mazda. I was happy with them for what they were, a touring tire that will run smooth and quiet. They were fine in rain and passable in snow. They will definitely break traction sooner than the p zeros in the dry behind the 300+ hp of the mustang but if you know the limits you can drive around them.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Ronnie
Can confirm, They are perfectly fine on dry roads (besides NOISE), however, I can feel the car fishtailing sometimes when I go over water puddles doing 45 ( NorCal sized potholes). I switched out that set of stock P Zeros after 17k mil after went into a severe hydroplane on the freeway-Late at night, Heavy rain, doing 55 on a slight but bumpy curve, I still felt so lucky that I didn't crash into anything even to this day, that was when there are about 10/32 tread left.
BurntToAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I'm running Toyo Extenza tires and the ride is great no problems in any weather. Also quiet.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My 235/50-18 PZero all seasons were dangerous at 15,000 miles and replaced at 19,000 miles, worn past the wear bars . Nothing like getting new tires. Ronnie, I remember in 1970 as a Junior in High School being able to buy a couple of 're-caps' for the front of my VW Bug . I got to watch the guy re-cap my tires from start to finish. To this very day I buy my 'New Tires' from the same person
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They are installed and Red Ryder sure is quiet and happy now.
SO AM I
I just sent in the $70.00 rebate.
They sure are silent and the steering is really responsive. The P-Zeros were worn down way past the wear bars and getting really thin. Larry the tire guy said I was lucky I did not run over a sharp stick .
I do travel fast on the interstates but don't drag race or see how fast I can corner anymore so I think these will be just fine for the way I drive.
Even if they are not the best tires in the rain, They sure can't be as dangerous as those P=Zero's were.
I did get a three year no mileage replacement warranty through negation which means if I have an unrepairable cut or hole close to the sidewall that can't be patched, I get a free replacement tire.
I hope I never have to use it,
Ronnie
Old 12-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

jesus, if these pzeros are as bad as you all are saying, why are they stock on so many cars? like especially after the ol explorer tire blowouts back in the 90's. why are they wearing so easily?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

jayochs asks this:
[QUOTE if these pzeros are as bad as you all are saying, why are they stock on so many cars?][/QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

[/COLOR]jayochs asks this:
[QUOTE if these pzeros are as bad as you all are saying, why are they stock on so many cars?][/QUOTE]
The answer seems to be $$$$$$$$$$,
Company's spend big bucks to get their products in front of the citizens. Using a product on a new car is one way to do it.
Goodyear used to provide crap tires on a lot of new cars at one time and they were crap too.
Only time and miles will tell if I bought crap tires.
Ronnie
Old 12-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Somebody must have improved this site because it is acting funny.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang