Emissions Issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Emissions Issue

Hi Friends,
I own a 2013 V6 mustang right now on 91 tune from AmericanMuscle(BAMA). I was due for emission and when I went to take emissions it didn't fail, but the message said that the "Vehicle's Computer system is "NOT READY" to be tested as reported". They asked me if I had got any work done on the car and if battery was disconnected. Answer to which was NO. And asked me to let it go through is drive cycle and come back day later. Is it the tune which is causing the issue? I need to know as I am due to registration Jan 15. Please help!!
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Can you turn your tune back to stock?
Is it illegal in your state to modify your tune?
If not, tell them that your computer has been tuned. Maybe they need to set up for your tune?
Pa Pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Pap View Post
Can you turn your tune back to stock?
Is it illegal in your state to modify your tune?
If not, tell them that your computer has been tuned. Maybe they need to set up for your tune?
Yes sir, I will have already returned the car back to stock. But i will have to wait until at-least tomorrow to go back. I didn't know that tuning ECU is illegal in Phoenix, Arizona.
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstang001 View Post
Yes sir, I will have already returned the car back to stock. But i will have to wait until at-least tomorrow to go back. I didn't know that tuning ECU is illegal in Phoenix, Arizona.
It is?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Go drive to the 8/10 split and back and it should be ready.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
It is?
I was just confirming to the post Papap had posted. I didnt know that either
Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not saying that it is, just asking.
Good luck!
Pa Pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Go drive to the 8/10 split and back and it should be ready.
I am sorry that I didn't understand 8/10 split. Can you please explain it to me?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Pap View Post
[/B]

Not saying that it is, just asking.
Good luck!
Sorry My bad.. I didn't read it right..!
I don't think it is. But I have already the car the stock.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am sorry that I didn't understand 8/10 split. Can you please explain it to me?
Head west on Interstate 10 toward Casa Grande and when you get to Interstate 8 turn around and come back. It normally takes 50 to 100 miles after tuning to ready itself. Arizona City made sure you went far enough from anywhere in the Greater Phoenix Metro area.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Head west on Interstate 10 toward Casa Grande and when you get to Interstate 8 turn around and come back. It normally takes 50 to 100 miles after tuning to ready itself. Arizona City made sure you went far enough from anywhere in the Greater Phoenix Metro area.

Ahh makes sense. but wow, 50 - 100 miles to correct this. Its just bad timing for me i guess.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

When I lived in Flagstaff we didn't need Emissions Testing, I had a friend in Phoenix that used my address since he could not pass the testing and that was 23 years ago.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

. I think flagstaff still do not require emissions.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #14

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Tuning your car is a federal offense. Anything that can potentially impact the emissions compliance is illegal for a street car. That is why everyone selling high performance parts hides behind the "For Off-road Use Only" banner and it is why the EPA was trying to push through regulations in 17 that would make it illegal to do any modifications, even for racing to a car that was originally certified for road use. We all owe SEMA big thanks for stopping that.

There are 7 to 9 status monitors in the ECU. Anytime you disconnect the battery or clear a code they are set to not ready and it can take a number of drive cycles (up to a couple hundred miles) for them to reset to ready. Many tunes will do things that will prevent all the monitors from resetting to ready. The emissions test looks to see that the monitors are ready before giving you a pass. This is done to prevent people from clearing a code just before going in for an emissions test.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Tuning your car is a federal offense. Anything that can potentially impact the emissions compliance is illegal for a street car. That is why everyone selling high performance parts hides behind the "For Off-road Use Only" banner and it is why the EPA was trying to push through regulations in 17 that would make it illegal to do any modifications, even for racing to a car that was originally certified for road use. We all owe SEMA big thanks for stopping that.

There are 7 to 9 status monitors in the ECU. Anytime you disconnect the battery or clear a code they are set to not ready and it can take a number of drive cycles (up to a couple hundred miles) for them to reset to ready. Many tunes will do things that will prevent all the monitors from resetting to ready. The emissions test looks to see that the monitors are ready before giving you a pass. This is done to prevent people from clearing a code just before going in for an emissions test.
Ok now that makes sense. Now i have already returned the car to stock and driven ~40 miles. And i am still sure the monitors are not ready.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #16

I had the same "not ready" issue. Now i just return the car to stock a week before my appointment to avoid it happening again.
FrostFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
It took forever to get my plow truck ready after disconnecting the battery......there are drive cycles and sometimes they can be fussy to get everything made...ie cold starts....mutiple times up to temp etc. good luck.

a code reader will tell you when they are made = an excuse to buy a useful tool!
Old 01-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostFish View Post
I had the same "not ready" issue. Now i just return the car to stock a week before my appointment to avoid it happening again.
After returning to stick how much do you drive to make everything ready?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
It took forever to get my plow truck ready after disconnecting the battery......there are drive cycles and sometimes they can be fussy to get everything made...ie cold starts....mutiple times up to temp etc. good luck.

a code reader will tell you when they are made = an excuse to buy a useful tool!
I am assuming it is because it is not driven much?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After returning to stick how much do you drive to make everything ready?

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle
Old 01-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
what JK posted is a minimum but it took a lot of driving around to get it re-set. They can be funky on what makes it happy. It is an older one 2003 which may have been part of the problem but I had to take it out for maybe 6 longish drives 45 min per? last year so memory of it has faded...
Old 01-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
I'm likely going to have to do this when I get to Spain as well. I'll have 40 days to get the idle issue fixed and then get a new tune and clear the P1000. My tuner quadruple checked that all emissions functions were on because I kept bugging him about it lol.

Also I'd get a real tune if I were you. Bama is the "fisher price" of the tune world.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I'm likely going to have to do this when I get to Spain as well. I'll have 40 days to get the idle issue fixed and then get a new tune and clear the P1000. My tuner quadruple checked that all emissions functions were on because I kept bugging him about it lol.

Also I'd get a real tune if I were you. Bama is the "fisher price" of the tune world.
Not according to our other thread, some people's cars run GREAT
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The idea behind "canned tunes" is sound. Our cars are mass produced and very nearly identical engine wise. The notion that every engine and tranny is different is overrated IMO.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Still no go

I returned car to stock day before and have driven for approx 200 miles. I also bought a scanner tool that can check for readiness of monitors. And I still see the same monitors NOT READY. I am getting worried a little as I am nearing my deadline.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Arizona?
Theta671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta671 View Post
Arizona?
Yes, in Phoenix
Old 01-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, in Phoenix

Cool. Found another 3.7 in AZ. 👌🏻 by the way I didn't know it was illegal to tune out ECU in AZ.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cool. Found another 3.7 in AZ. 👌🏻 by the way I didn't know it was illegal to tune out ECU in AZ.
It’s illegal everywhere.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
It’s illegal everywhere.

When did this happen?!?! 😱
Old 01-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

The second they made emissions laws, I just blame California.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The second they made emissions laws, I just blame California.

Damn California and it's non loving modded car government. 😭
Old 01-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cool. Found another 3.7 in AZ. by the way I didn't know it was illegal to tune out ECU in AZ.
Apparently it is illegal anywhere...

I was able to follow drive cycle but only got O2 and HRT monitor to reset. Cat is still not ready. Dont know what i can do here..
Old 01-12-2018, 06:01 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Just keep driving.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just an FYI

Quote:
Damn California and it's non loving modded car government. 😭
I just Googled this:

“Regulatory Authorities. Federal Standards. US federal emission standards for engines and vehicles, including emission standards for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, are established by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).”
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang