Mustang Evolution Forum banner

I am LIVID.

3K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Siber Express 
#1 ·
brand new rims and tires back in September... it's January, and on my way to work I hit what was practically a sinkhole of a pothole, so big and hit so hard that I thought a car just hit me. I get out when I get to work and check, HUGE bubble on my passengers front sidewall. i work for a public works dept so luckily we have a tire guy on site so he swapped out the tire for my donut for me,and we looked and yup, there's a smaller bubble on my rear passengers tire too.

GREAT. 1800 dollars worth of rims and tires, and now to get two new pirelli tires put on, 569 with installation. I can't believe how ridiculous this is. it was a county road, so I'm going to file a claim against them bc they aren't maintaining correctly after the snow storm, but i was told that if nobody reported the pothole before me, they won't pay our bc "how are they supposed to know it's there?" absolute bull****, so i doubt I'll get reimbursed. I'm absolutely furious over this **** right now.

only good thing is since I bought the lifetime wheel alignment at Firestone, and I'm due for one this year, I'm having them do it tonight. they're also rotating the tires free of charge and putting i think he said both new tires on the back or something. ugh.

#2 ·
Well I mean on the bright side at least the rims didn't get bent... I guess... you can see what the rules are. County road does damage to your car=they should pay for it. Good luck though... might not be worth it.

#3 ·
Sorry that happened to you Jayochs. :(

I would be surprised (Shocked really) if the county compensates you anything for your loss. Government entities rarely take responsibility for road hazards created by acts of nature.
Something like this would be covered under a tire road hazard warranty on a pro-rated basis, if you have such coverage on your tires.

#5 ·
my deductible is 500. not worth the hassle.
Sorry that happened to you Jayochs. :(

I would be surprised (Shocked really) if the county compensates you anything for your loss. Government entities rarely take responsibility for road hazards created by acts of nature.
Something like this would be covered under a tire road hazard warranty on a pro-rated basis, if you have such coverage on your tires.
i work for a govt entity, and when this **** goes through our risk management department, we take responsibility for it and people get paid out. it's the road department who's supposed to be maintaining the roadways..county or municipal or state. doesn't matter. they didn't do their job, and they ****ed up my car.

#6 ·
Don't get me wrong. I believe that they should be maintaining the roads to the best of their abilities. But I also think that it is not reasonable to expect that every pothole is repaired the moment it pops up.
I've been a strong advocate for having all law enforcement officers carry around a couple of sacks of cold mix asphalt patch in their cruisers. And make it mandatory that they don't come back with any at the end of their shift! That way there would be a roaming army of pothole patchers constantly going around filling potholes across the entire USA.
It really is a road safety issue.

#7 ·
yep, well, just got car back from firestone.

noticed it looked like one wheel was sticking out more than the other. brought it back and asked about it..

as we looked at it, my rear passengers wheel (the side that hit the pot hole) is actually ****ing bent inward toward the car.

i guess this means either my suspension shifted, or my axle bent or something.

so now $570, and more to bring it somewhere, have them check it out and then pay to get it fixed.

i'm sitting here contemplating just trading in this damn car and getting a truck.

#8 ·
Call insurance and try to have it totaled if the frame is bent.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#9 ·
idk about the frame being bent. it's probably just something in my rear suspension. even at that, that would ****ing suck. i wouldn't want to total this thing out. ugh

#10 ·
It might have bent the panhard bar.

I live in a small town where the majority of the streets are not paved. And even some of the streets that are "paved", don't get anything that you might mistake for regular maintenance.
If I drove my Mustang around here on a regular basis, it would be destroyed in a very short time.
I couldn't live without having an old truck (Or two:angel:) to drive around in.

#11 ·
At least you know your wheels are made strong :). You should see all the bubbled tires I see people driving around with in my town. I wish we had at least some kind of safety inspections where I live, but we don't :(.

Sorry to hear about your tires :(

#13 ·
Agreed. Pennsylvania was like that near me but in NJ you just needed to have the emissions stuff all work and no check engine lights. Stupid... you could have the biggest POS with a leaky gas tank, shot suspension, electrical issues and roll right through. I know because I did it in October lmao.

Like... emissions... meh... livestock generate way more gases than autos do, even if there were no emissions on new cars today they run so clean it wouldn't matter. And honestly emissions these days is not bad at all for gasoline engines. Why I don't get states like NJ or wherever that will go nuts if you are missing an EGR but you can literally be leaking raw gas from the tank and they are fine.

/rant

Hope the car is just a simple rear end re-align and good.

#15 ·
It's not uncommon for the rear end to not be perfectly centered in the chassis.
The cars are moving along an assembly line while guys are furiously bolting components onto them...

You can just get a 4 wheel alignment somewhere, and that will tell you if something is bent or otherwise out of spec.

#16 ·
here's the specs from Firestone.. i get unlimited lifetime alignment there so I had one done with the new tires but idk how to read this stuff. it shows rear but rear isn't adjustable?

Text Receipt Font

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
The rear end is fine.
The camber is a little bit out of spec on the right front. But it's not horrible.
You might try to find someone who is capable of doing a good thorough front end inspection. Make sure that they check the bushings and ball joints, particularly on the passenger side.

#18 ·
On a solid axle car like our Mustangs (unless you have a 2015 or newer) the rear axle moves side to side as it rises and falls due to the panhard rod, so this will vary depending how your car sits. It can also be adjusted by installing an adjustable panhard rod. Normal, I would not worry a lot about that.

Regarding the tires, did you buy road hazard insurance when you installed them? It's usually just a few $$ per tire.

#19 ·
nah unfortunately I didn't buy it from AM lol. probably should've.

so stray, I'm worried about my rear end really not my front end. like I said it looks like my passengers rear wheel is slightly shifted inward toward the car, that's what worries me.

#20 ·
According to the Firestone alignment specifications sheet that you posted, the rear end of your car is completely within the factory specifications. Both the toe and the camber look good, so there is absolutely nothing to worry about with the rear end. As for the axle being centered within the wheel wells, if that bothers you, you will need to install an adjustable panhard bar to get it centered perfectly.
Only the front right side wheel camber setting is a couple tenths of a degree out of spec. And the right front has about twice as much negative camber as the left front. Ideally, the camber settings for both of the front wheels should be set at the same amount of degrees.

#21 ·
Jay, when I put my Bullitt wheels on with the offset it became apparent how far the rear end was to the left from the factory just such as yours. Ordered a J&M adjustable panhard bar, installed it, did the adjustment and wha-la. Not only looks better but when we hit bumps in corners she handles a wee bit better. Don't panic, it'll be OK.

#22 ·
thanks for the info guys.

so ok, i'm still thinking my rear tire looks like it may be bent inwards though, i'm not sure.

my boss today gave me a good idea: drive through some water, and look at my tracks. see if the tire looks crooked or something.

#23 ·
How about a pic of both rear wheels, shooting down the length of the car from front to back so we can help you better. A picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe a couple of shots of the passenger side rear wheel from different angles.

#24 ·
sure I'll do it tomorrow. I tried already and you couldn't really see it in pics. maybe my eye was playing tricks on me that night.. i hope so.

#25 ·
If the car drives and tracks fine, you're good to go. The alignment sheet shows the rear end is fine. Before I put my adjustable phb on, the rear axle was shifted almost 1/2" towards one side (I think driver's side), now perfectly centered under the car.

#26 ·
At least you didn't damage your rims. Same way in Indiana. If the pothole hasn't been reported, you just get bent. Guess it's time to get a Winter Beater.

#27 ·
Just to point out how dumb I am, I had to search on what does LIVID mean :(

Reactions: audioAl
#28 ·
it means i'm super happy and enjoy paying 570 dollars for something that i didn't need until the county ****ed up.

#31 ·
Your tax dollars at work I suppose... I will never live in a place that doesn't take care of their infrastructure again. Where I live now it does not snow. If I move to Germany they actually treat the roads with calcium (not salt) and fix any damage done by plows immediately which includes shutting down a road if its bad. Ppl don't ***** because they know its for a reason and they find a detour.

Winter wheels and tires I guess if you live in the states in the rust belt...

#32 ·
So then you DIDN'T report it?

#33 ·
what? i said i reported it, but after i hit it.

of course i reported it.

#34 ·
Born in east Tennessee and raised near Memphis Iv'e seen many a winter road hazards in my 58 years. An adj. panhard is what I did to my S-197 V6 w/BMR lca's. We are going to "Take Charge" of our "local govt." accounting and monitor the infrastructure maintenance because it seems like only the interstate hwy system is currently being maintained. I am "Livid" about someone in govt. stealing the monies to maintain our city streets all across America! Criminals under our noses!

#35 ·
If Tennessee's gov't works anything like California's gov't, they aren't technically stealing the money, they are simply reappropriating the funds towards various programs and projects that are more helpful in the ultimate goal of getting re-elected. Roadwork is so boring to someone with lifelong political goals!
In CA they just raised both the gasoline tax and vehicle registration fees to fix the roads and "infrastructure". By "infrastructure", I interpret that as meaning an asinine, way way over budget high speed rail project that most studies have determined won't be able to support itself in ridership.

Yep. There definitely needs to be citizen oversight of how our hard earned tax dollars are spent. It seems like the people that we vote into office to become our rulers, have become quite liberal about spending our money as they see fit.
I don't know how many times that they have used this guise of "roadwork" to raise taxes in CA.
They don't even have to put it to a vote to raise the fuel taxes!
It really is getting out of hand. And the longer this goes on, the more difficult it becomes to convince the government that they work for us... Not the other way around!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.