V6 Throttle Body- This dirty Normal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
V6 Throttle Body- This dirty Normal?

I just took out my throttle body on my 2012 with 80k miles and this was the side toward the engine, is it supposed to be that dirty? I'm the second owner, so I don't know the history. And yes, I cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and also cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Also it does not appear to completely close and is always slightly open, is that normal?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_jxijkg.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	845.8 KB
ID:	252753  
ActorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Clean it 'again'. Use throttle body cleaner. I clean mine every 2 years and I only have 29,000 miles on my 2011

Not closing all the way is normal.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Clean it 'again'. Use throttle body cleaner. I clean mine every 2 years and I only have 29,000 miles on my 2011

Not closing all the way is normal.
I used throttle body cleaner, that photo was the before cleaning photo, it looks new now.

Back to the original question, is it supposed to be that dirty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That gunk is engine oil from the PCV system. An oil separator on the passenger side will reduce that build-up dramatically.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
That gunk is engine oil from the PCV system. An oil separator on the passenger side will reduce that build-up dramatically.
I use Full Synthetic oil, does the oil seperator still help? I think the previous owner probably used regular oil.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I use full synthetic too and empty a couple of ounces every few month from my separator. You can be sure you intake manifold is just as gunky as the throttle body BTW. Oil in the fuel charge also lowers octane. Get a separator.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I use full synthetic too and empty a couple of ounces every few month from my separator. You can be sure you intake manifold is just as gunky as the throttle body BTW. Oil in the fuel charge also lowers octane. Get a separator.
Which one you do have? I see a BBK & JLT on AM- https://www.americanmuscle.com/musta....html#shop-by2

I've been reading some other threads that say to get a breather instead of the Catch Can- Oil Catch Can vs. Breather any thoughts? Do they ever have a breather for a V6?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I personally do not prefer breathers. They serve their purpose on certain cars, but on a daily driven car they can cause an off putting smell. The vacuum from the IM also helps seal the piston rings via the PCV system, so that's another reason to leave it intact on a daily vehicle.

I am not a fan of the JLT. The route is too short - the oil needs time to fall out of suspension - and there is no internal media for the oil to condense on.

I prefer the Bob's cans. They're not the cheapest, but are regarded as one of (if not THE) best. You will have to DIY a mounting point and some hardware though, so be aware of that when purchasing. I believe the plug and play aspect is what makes the JLT so appealing for most.

Brushed Bare Bones Oil Separator
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If you look at the Throttle body photo, and take into consideration that is at least 6 years and 80k miles worth of driving, it's really not that big of a deal when you think about it. Yes, it was dirty ,but it's an engine.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Buy a new Motorcraft PCV valve and replace your old one. Local auto parts stores usually have the ones made by Motorcraft or they can order you one if not, go to your local Ford dealer parts department. That much dirt after 80,000 miles would be normal to me but the past owner (or owners) didn't do 'very good' maintenance to your Mustang
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I have used UPR 4 stage catch cans exclusively in my 4 mustangs throughout the years 2010-2016. They really work!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Buy a new Motorcraft PCV valve and replace your old one.
Is this the right part? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1501231&jsn=8
Old 01-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActorMike View Post

Yes, that should be the right one. I remember I was a little uneasy about the 'devils' number in it . But put it in anyway
Old 01-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, that should be the right one. I remember I was a little uneasy about the 'devils' number in it [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_sad.gif[/IMG]. But put it in anyway [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif[/IMG]
I went ahead and ordered a thermostat to have on hand too since it didn't add any extra shipping. My last Ford thermostat lasted 200k miles though!

PS many scholars believe that that the mark of the beast in early manuscripts was actually 616, not 666 and was mistranslated along the way. [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Sorry if I got to this thread too late - As Voltwings mentioned, an oil catch can will really help.

I had one on my 2014 for the 40-50k miles I had it and the Throttle Body never got really gunked up. Even before I traded it, it only had a very light coating on it. Just be sure to empty the catch can every 2000-3000 miles (depending on size of the catch can).
Old 02-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, that should be the right one. I remember I was a little uneasy about the 'devils' number in it . But put it in anyway
Where is the PCV valve located? Anyone have a photo, etc?
Old 02-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
If you look at the Throttle body photo, and take into consideration that is at least 6 years and 80k miles worth of driving, it's really not that big of a deal when you think about it. Yes, it was dirty ,but it's an engine.
Does your car use "Drive by Wire" Throttle Body? If so, the throttle plate is held slighly open when the key is OFF. Turned to ON, the plate is immediately closed tight, then re-opened, takes about 1 second. Normally, by that time, the key has been moved to START, and the plate opened very wide.

Reason for this "check" came about after a certain Japanese car-maker experienced hundreds of cases where the throttle had suddenly been opened and held at wide open throttle. Folks were injured, maybe some killed.

During the "close-re-open" cycle, the movement of the plate is compared to the Throttle Plate Position Sensor output. If it ain't "on the money" usual result is "Forced Engine Idle", sometimes worse. Engine starts and idles, gas pedal has no effect. It happened to me!
65 k car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I thought seperators are mainly for FI cars...
BurntToAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where is the PCV valve located? Anyone have a photo, etc?
I believe its on the passenger side valve cover almost in the middle of it. There is a hose that goes from the big plastic thing to the PCV Valve at the center of the valve cover. Something like that
Old 02-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntToAshes View Post
I thought seperators are mainly for FI cars...
A lot of us have one. I dump around an ounce of oil every couple thousand miles
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
A lot of us have one. I dump around an ounce of oil every couple thousand miles
+1.
I was shocked at how much oil it was catching the first time I emptied my JLT.

I should have had it from day one!

Our Ecoboost Fusion has 49k on it now, I wonder if one is available for that car?
Sent from Samsung Galaxy S8+
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #22

Region: North Carolina
I just installed the BBK 1822 and my stock throttle body looked clean after 45K miles. Only a slight discoloration on the OEM valve. I have read good and bad reviews; however, this mod significantly improved throttle response and idle smoothness with a BBK tune. The old throttle body may have had other problems or may have need to be cleaned but it really didn't look dirty at all. I did not go through the gas pedal calibration procedure because it seemed fine the way it was as - installed.
DANROONEY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #23
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I just cleaned my throttle body at 82,000 and mine didn’t look as dirty as the OP’s. This car has only ever had Mobil1.

I am not gentle with this car either. I drive hard, I idle for long times and I take it to the track a couple times a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84542B92-B74F-40F9-8855-E6D8008B5FED.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	253249  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I just cleaned my throttle body at 82,000 and mine didn?t look as dirty as the OP?s. This car has only ever had Mobil1.

I am not gentle with this car either. I drive hard, I idle for long times and I take it to the track a couple times a year.
Do you have an oil catch can?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #25
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Do you have an oil catch can?
I don’t have an oil catch can.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you put the synthetic oil from the can back into the crank case?

UPDATE, just found these instructions on another site that said NEVER RETURN OIL FROM THE CATCH CAN BACK INTO THE ENGINE.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I wouldn't...and yeah NEVER
Old 02-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Can you put the synthetic oil from the can back into the crank case?

UPDATE, just found these instructions on another site that said NEVER RETURN OIL FROM THE CATCH CAN BACK INTO THE ENGINE.
Definitely do not put it back in, it's a mixture of oil, fuel, condensation, etc. You don't want that in your crankcase. Granted during warmer months there's very little condensation as opposed to winter when it's cold.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang