To high of Mileage? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

Region: California
To high of Mileage?

Hi everybody, how are you all doing?

For those that would like to skip ahead, the question is below the emoji!

I'm new to the forums and the Mustang community, I'm not super knowledgeable about Mustangs but I'm slowly teaching myself. I want to start by buying my first Mustang, but I want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

I've been looking at a few on Craigslist, I've found one that looks promising a 2011 Ford Mustang but it has 125,000 miles on it. My question is this, is that to many miles? the guy is asking $5,000 for it, is this a good purchase?

Follow up question, how many miles are to many miles on a mustang?
Hope to hear from you all soon.
Lastchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Gotta see it first.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #3

Region: Massachusetts
There is no reason not to expect a modern well maintained to last well past 200,000 miles. I have had 5 vehicles that I didn't get rid of until they had around 250,000 miles on them. Mechanically they we're all sound when I got rid of them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Really depends on the car, how many owners, is the title clean, etc and how the car was cared for. I bought a 2012 paid 12k for it with 70k miles almost a year ago, but it drives like brand new, and has never been in a wreck. You can tell a lot by driving the car. I would definitely have a mechanical look it over if you think you want to buy it after driving it. People avoid doing this to save a little money, and it often comes back to haunt them.

I bought a 2001 Mercury Sable and drove it for 14 years before the head gasket finally blew at 210,000 miles. A guy bought it and fixed that himself and probably still drives it!
ActorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
How the owner took care of it is everything in my book. If you go to his house to look at the car and he lives in a shi* hole the chances are he didn't take care of his car either. I golf with a guy that has an old Mustang that is well taken care of and never has been abused; now he is older, lives in a gated community and has a good job. Find one like that and I say go ahead and buy it after a mechanic looks at it. Have a compression check performed, looking at the plugs while they are out will also give you a good idea of engine health. Be prepared to install a new clutch disk if it is a manual and it has never been changed.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
If you go to his house to look at the car and he lives in a shi* hole the chances are he didn't take care of his car either. I golf with a guy that has an old Mustang that is well taken care of and never has been abused; now he is older, lives in a gated community and has a good job.
So stereotyping is a good way to determine if someone takes care of a car? Lol. A lot of people that live in big houses are "car poor" and "house poor" and cant even furnish the entire house. I've known plenty of people in my own family that have nice houses and do not properly service the cars. Broke people often take good care of their car because they rely on it, and can't afford unnecessary costly repairs, and they keep them longer.
ActorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Condition. Seeing as this is your first stang... a $5k craigslist car with 125k on it... Is this going to be your only car? If so, get a reliable $5k whatever and save your pennies.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
How the owner took care of it is everything in my book. If you go to his house to look at the car and he lives in a shi* hole the chances are he didn't take care of his car either. I golf with a guy that has an old Mustang that is well taken care of and never has been abused; now he is older, lives in a gated community and has a good job. Find one like that and I say go ahead and buy it after a mechanic looks at it. Have a compression check performed, looking at the plugs while they are out will also give you a good idea of engine health. Be prepared to install a new clutch disk if it is a manual and it has never been changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActorMike View Post
So stereotyping is a good way to determine if someone takes care of a car? Lol. A lot of people that live in big houses are "car poor" and "house poor" and cant even furnish the entire house. I've known plenty of people in my own family that have nice houses and do not properly service the cars. Broke people often take good care of their car because they rely on it, and can't afford unnecessary costly repairs, and they keep them longer.
a nice house in crappy condition or a crappy house in nice condition would make an easy choice (not as easy as looking at the car).

OP, how does it look and how does it compare to other cars of that price range. I tend to trust used cars from private sellers more than from dealers. They are letting you into their lives...they have to have some trust in the car as opposed to dumping it off at a dealer with a "see ya!"

my simple off beat checks are running a finger along the inside of all doors/jambs/hood/trunk (AFTER asking has it ever been in an accident?) you can feel lines where tape was if it's been re-sprayed. A wrong answer tells you about the seller. I also look for battery corrosion, it it's corroded who know what else was neglected. w/o insulting unless you know cars either bring someone who does or pay some $ and get it checked out by a local mechanic

good hunting

Mud
Old 01-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
forgot to mention props to Mike for reminding us about stereotypes

thx

Jim
Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
My 2011 has about 135k miles and runs fine. No major repairs except for wear and tear - Tires, belts, fluids, brakes, shocks and struts, etc. I believe mine is worth $4,000 or so and it is a premium. Test drive it and share some photos if you can.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Talk to the owner.

Pop the hood and have a look. Take a look underneath and mind the suspension; i.e., do the bushing look bad, etc.

A good owner will have all of their paperwork documenting their maintenance of what, when, and where. That is a BIG plus IMO.
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
He only had that one post. He either ran out and bought it or did the smart thing and went with something better for him.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It is about maintenance, I have a 1997 grand prix I am the original owner 325,00 mile on original engine and trans, I now have an electrical issue but after all this time not really that bad a deal.
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang