Spraying SeaFoam cleaner into Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Spraying SeaFoam cleaner into Intake

Has anyone done this on their Mustang? After seeing how dirty my Throttle Body was, I am considering it. Pros/Cons?

ActorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm kinda disappointed that he didn't show the big smoke show that the vehicle exhibits during the procedure. That's the best part!
In the video, it said that the more Seafoam fuel treatment that you use, the better that it cleans... I wonder if an engine would run on straight Seafoam?

I'm not a fan of using such "snake oil", and certainly wouldn't want to wash any of the grime that has undoubtedly collected in the intake manifold through the combustion chamber. The potential is there for some of the gunk to collect on a piston or valve. Or possibly get caught in a catalytic converter, where it can cause far more problems than sitting in the intake.
While a dirty intake manifold is not ideal, it won't cause much harm either.

I just make frequent WOT pulls as a regular part of my "maintenance" program for keeping the inside of the engine clean.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I think you're over thinking this.

The upper intake manifold is just a handful of 10mm bolts, it's actually very easy to uninstall and inspect. There will always be tiny amounts of residual oil in there, but it could help either see that action does need to be taken, or put you at ease when you see how clean it is. Pop it off and just see what we're looking at.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I think you're over thinking this.
Pop it off and just see what we're looking at.
I may do that, sounds no more complicated than removing the throttle body and cleaning it.

It doesn't mess any seals or gaskets up does it?
ActorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Lighting a fire in the crankcase (basically what seafoam does) is not ideal. Has it helped people out before? Absolutely there are plenty of ppl who will tell stories of how it fixed a car of theirs. The car was probably so sludged up that it could only get better or blow up completely tho... And that sort of thing is all anecdotal anyway.

Any intake manifold from 96 on is really easy to remove and the gaskets are re-usable. Just pop it off and clean it and see if you can see what the underside of your valves look like.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActorMike View Post
I may do that, sounds no more complicated than removing the throttle body and cleaning it.

It doesn't mess any seals or gaskets up does it?
Nope, just be very careful when reinstalling, the torque on the manifold bolts is only like 7 ft/lbs. They just need to be snug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Lighting a fire in the crankcase (basically what seafoam does) is not ideal. Has it helped people out before? Absolutely there are plenty of ppl who will tell stories of how it fixed a car of theirs. The car was probably so sludged up that it could only get better or blow up completely tho... And that sort of thing is all anecdotal anyway.

Any intake manifold from 96 on is really easy to remove and the gaskets are re-usable. Just pop it off and clean it and see if you can see what the underside of your valves look like.
^^ I'd take a look, but the v6 manifold is in two parts, and i'm not sure if you can see the valves through the lower. Very much worth taking a look though.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

When I did the spark plugs on my 11 and 14 I could see the lower intake manifold after removing the upper. However, you won't be able to clean much of it. I believe it has a coolant line running through the lower intake manifold so it wasn't worth the effort to me to remove it just to clean the bottom of it.

Just clean what you can. It may be a good idea to swap the spark plugs also if you are going to be taking that upper manifold off - if your car has some miles on it. I swapped them on my 2014 around 30k miles. They were trashed because I raced the car a lot at the dragstrip and drove it hard on highways and such. Not to mention the fuel is trash in my area. It was a world of difference once I got the new plugs in.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I run that in my car. I use it probably every oil change, but it's also because 1-2 weeks of the month, I run a ghost cam so I want to keep my car clear of as much carbon build up as I can since it just burning up fuel.
Theta671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang