Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Next upgrade- exhaust or tune?

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Theta671 
#1 ·
I recently installed an Airaid CAI and chomping at the bit for the next upgrade. I am really regretting not getting a GT, but financially and logistically (long daily commute) the V6 was the better option so I gotta work with what I got. That being said, my next move would be either tuner or exhaust... and I can?t decide. Help me make a decision! If I could do both at the same time I would, but I have bills I gotta pay first lol

#3 ·
That's too bad. I was given false information then :( Guess I have no choice but to go with tune. Or save up some cash and do them at the same time.
Found a used bama tuner on craigslist pre-loaded with tunes for 2011-2014 stang. Maybe I will reach out to him.

#5 ·
And you need tunes specific to your car, can't use someone else's. You can do exhaust without a tune as long as you stick with cat or axle back leaving factory cats in place.

#8 ·
Get the axlebacks,
If you don't want a lot of vibration and noise
GET:
Magnaflow Street
Borla Touring
Ford Racing Touring
If your after a really obnoxious sound just get anything else.
I have the AirAid and Magnaflows and "NO" TUNE and my V6 (2012) runs great.
A V6 will never ever sound as good as a V8 and A V6 using anything except the ones I mentioned sounds horrible.
Your car will actually feel nice and crisp just changing the mufflers because you do have the AirAid and both together make a nice difference.
The computer already in your car from Ford will adjust after a while.
If you decide later when you hit the lotto that you want a tune, Then do your research on just what you want before spending any money.
Ronnie

#11 ·
Get the axlebacks,
If you don't want a lot of vibration and noise
GET:
Magnaflow Street
Borla Touring
Ford Racing Touring
If your after a really obnoxious sound just get anything else.
I have the AirAid and Magnaflows and "NO" TUNE and my V6 (2012) runs great.
A V6 will never ever sound as good as a V8 and A V6 using anything except the ones I mentioned sounds horrible.
Your car will actually feel nice and crisp just changing the mufflers because you do have the AirAid and both together make a nice difference.
The computer already in your car from Ford will adjust after a while.
If you decide later when you hit the lotto that you want a tune, Then do your research on just what you want before spending any money.
Ronnie
Though intake and just mufflers make no real power difference they do make it sound more aggressive.

If you buy the tuner make sure it’s unmarried as far as tunes go with mpt
This. Definitely go mpt.

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I freely admit I am def a newbie in every aspect. This is the first car I have ever had any desire to work on and build up. Thanks for looking out and giving me suggestions. I'll keep you all posted.

#12 ·
Both together do make enough difference that you know it was worth the $$$$$$.
The touring type mufflers have just enough back pressure that the torque slightly increases without a tune.
Put on something like the Magnaflow Comps or Borla attacks and with no back pressure your Mustang will feel sluggish without a tune.
But then you will have a 3.7 V8 that you will probably hate every time you hear it run.
As most on here already know, I love my V6 and I enjoy driving it. I love the way the Magnaflow streets sound and as much as I love my car, It will never sound as good as a V8.
A v6 with a good air intake and good touring mufflers is ideal for the street,
If the OP had the money to waste and was going to be drag racing a whole lot, Get a tune,
He sounds like he is on a budget so he needs to get the axlebacks first.
Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.