Next upgrade- exhaust or tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Next upgrade- exhaust or tune?

I recently installed an Airaid CAI and chomping at the bit for the next upgrade. I am really regretting not getting a GT, but financially and logistically (long daily commute) the V6 was the better option so I gotta work with what I got. That being said, my next move would be either tuner or exhaust... and I can?t decide. Help me make a decision! If I could do both at the same time I would, but I have bills I gotta pay first lol
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Well any exhaust worth getting needs a tune, so that makes that easy.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's too bad. I was given false information then Guess I have no choice but to go with tune. Or save up some cash and do them at the same time.
Found a used bama tuner on craigslist pre-loaded with tunes for 2011-2014 stang. Maybe I will reach out to him.
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Do some research on here regarding bama tuners......
Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffein3 View Post
That's too bad. I was given false information then Guess I have no choice but to go with tune. Or save up some cash and do them at the same time.
Found a used bama tuner on craigslist pre-loaded with tunes for 2011-2014 stang. Maybe I will reach out to him.
And you need tunes specific to your car, can't use someone else's. You can do exhaust without a tune as long as you stick with cat or axle back leaving factory cats in place.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
The tuner is fine, it's a generic device, but BAMA TUNES you should absolutely do some research on their tune quality.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The tuner is fine, it's a generic device, but BAMA TUNES you should absolutely do some research on their tune quality.
Thanks for the clarification... the Tune, not the TUNER.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Get the axlebacks,
If you don't want a lot of vibration and noise
GET:
Magnaflow Street
Borla Touring
Ford Racing Touring
If your after a really obnoxious sound just get anything else.
I have the AirAid and Magnaflows and "NO" TUNE and my V6 (2012) runs great.
A V6 will never ever sound as good as a V8 and A V6 using anything except the ones I mentioned sounds horrible.
Your car will actually feel nice and crisp just changing the mufflers because you do have the AirAid and both together make a nice difference.
The computer already in your car from Ford will adjust after a while.
If you decide later when you hit the lotto that you want a tune, Then do your research on just what you want before spending any money.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. I freely admit I am def a newbie in every aspect. This is the first car I have ever had any desire to work on and build up. Thanks for looking out and giving me suggestions. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If you buy the tuner make sure it’s unmarried as far as tunes go with mpt
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Get the axlebacks,
If you don't want a lot of vibration and noise
GET:
Magnaflow Street
Borla Touring
Ford Racing Touring
If your after a really obnoxious sound just get anything else.
I have the AirAid and Magnaflows and "NO" TUNE and my V6 (2012) runs great.
A V6 will never ever sound as good as a V8 and A V6 using anything except the ones I mentioned sounds horrible.
Your car will actually feel nice and crisp just changing the mufflers because you do have the AirAid and both together make a nice difference.
The computer already in your car from Ford will adjust after a while.
If you decide later when you hit the lotto that you want a tune, Then do your research on just what you want before spending any money.
Ronnie
Though intake and just mufflers make no real power difference they do make it sound more aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
If you buy the tuner make sure it’s unmarried as far as tunes go with mpt
This. Definitely go mpt.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Both together do make enough difference that you know it was worth the $$$$$$.
The touring type mufflers have just enough back pressure that the torque slightly increases without a tune.
Put on something like the Magnaflow Comps or Borla attacks and with no back pressure your Mustang will feel sluggish without a tune.
But then you will have a 3.7 V8 that you will probably hate every time you hear it run.
As most on here already know, I love my V6 and I enjoy driving it. I love the way the Magnaflow streets sound and as much as I love my car, It will never sound as good as a V8.
A v6 with a good air intake and good touring mufflers is ideal for the street,
If the OP had the money to waste and was going to be drag racing a whole lot, Get a tune,
He sounds like he is on a budget so he needs to get the axlebacks first.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Intake and axlebacks would be lucky to see 5whp gains. The biggest things you'll gain power from on these cars is from the intake manifolds being ported. A set of headers. And a mid pipe.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Me and my son have Bama Tuners and they are great!
ActorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActorMike View Post
Me and my son have Bama Tuners and they are great!
Not trying to be a dick, but i like to ask this question in response to that statement:

great compared to what?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
great compared to what?

Stock?

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not trying to be a dick, but i like to ask this question in response to that statement:

great compared to what?
Like every single person here, we purchased every tuner on the market, and did extensive AB testing between them all, and did Dynamometer testing in my personal home garage. After that we decided we like the Bama tuner.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like every single person here, we purchased every tuner on the market, and did extensive AB testing between them all, and did Dynamometer testing in my personal home garage. After that we decided we like the Bama tuner.
Well no, just reading reviews, comparing numbers, times, etc... There are more than a few people who have moved on from BAMA and had things to say about them.

Dont get me wrong, the free tunes for life is nice, but their tunes are not. I had BAMA free tunes for life while i was modding, and once i was done with boltons i got a tune from AED and it was night and day.

My only point, again not trying to be a dick, was that people with only BAMA tunes are really not qualified to make that statement. If you are happy, that is 100% all that matters, might i just suggest taking some datalogs and making sure your tune is in fact safe and healthy.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My only point, again not trying to be a dick, was that people with only BAMA tunes are really not qualified to make that statement. If you are happy, that is 100% all that matters, might i just suggest taking some datalogs and making sure your tune is in fact safe and healthy.
Instead of critiquing everyone's opinion and having to make a case you are not a "dick" why not just post what your opinion is, and leave it at that? Everyone doesn't have to agree with you and vice-versa. (BTW that feedback is based upon owning/operating a Ford Thunderbird forum since 2001.

At the end of the day, I think many of the add-ons are just splitting hairs, subjective, and the placebo effect is taking place. Both cars been running 11 months on Bama tunes with no issues and the improvement over stock is significant. Also, the customer service is great, never had a problem reaching them etc, and I read posts from people saying they don't answer for days, etc.

Will also note, both of these cars are manual transmission, and the automatics are where you see a lot of differences in shifting, etc between tunes.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well, i was simply stressing it's not my intention to rustle feathers, as differing opinions tend to do. I've said what i have to say.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffein3 View Post
not only does it have to be unlocked..I believe there is a 4 digit code that needs to match. Odds are it won't work.

Smart guys if i am wrong plz correct me!

Mud
Old 01-30-2018, 06:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
not only does it have to be unlocked..I believe there is a 4 digit code that needs to match. Odds are it won't work.

Smart guys if i am wrong plz correct me!

Mud
You're referring to the ECU code, which is tune specific, so yes he probably would not be able to use the tunes already on the tuner. Good point to bring up.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

The 3.7 community does prefer MPT over Bama tunes. Their automatic tune is supposed to be far better than bama. And their engine tunes typically do seem to make more power. But if youre happy with bama cool.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got a tune from AED and it was night and day.
I emailed AED and they said "Contact MPT (More Power Tuning) in Florida. We specialize in the Coyote V8."

I can buy the MPT tune, which octane should I buy? I assume I can use it with the tuner I already have.

MPT just emailed me and said " With your vehicle being a manual transmission, the difference may not be as noticeable as if it were an automatic"
Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I emailed AED and they said "Contact MPT (More Power Tuning) in Florida. We specialize in the Coyote V8."

I can buy the MPT tune, which octane should I buy? I assume I can use it with the tuner I already have.

MPT just emailed me and said " With your vehicle being a manual transmission, the difference may not be as noticeable as if it were an automatic"
My main concern between BAMA and AED was not outright performance, it was the knock i experienced with my BAMA tune.

We have 93 here in Houston, but MPT just writes 91 tunes stating that the difference in performance from 91 to 93 on an all motor V6 is not significant.

MPT will write you a 91 tune, or a 50/50 E85 tune (which we used at the road course) that is pretty good. It is very hard to get the fuel trims correct on blended fuels, especially when tuning remotely, but if you do a good job of filling up that E85 tune is spot on. I datalogged my wife's v6 on the E85 tune for a week before our first track outing and the trims were well within the acceptable limit.

I dont think the performance aspect is much different between MPT and BAMA, but i feel the safety, refinement and quality of the tune to be superior. If you already have a BAMA tune, you will just have to evaluate what that is worth to you, because it's obviously easy for me to sit here and spend your money on another tune. If your current tune does not show knock and your fuel trims are within 5% or so, it may not be worth the upgrade, but i still think it is something you should consider.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I did exhaust first and I gotta say you feel more power gain from a tune, but the exhaust will make your car a bit more of your personal touch so it's up to you in what you want. Power or style.
Theta671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang