Clunking/groaning over speed bumps - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Clunking/groaning over speed bumps

Hey guys so today I was driving over some speed bumps and I noticed a sort of clunking/groaning coming from the front right of the car. It kinda sounds like something loose. I was wondering what it could be. I have warranty as far as suspension goes so I will be taking it to the dealer. From what I have read it could be sway bar bushings or control arms. In either case is there an upgraded part I can ask my dealer to install if anything has to get replaced. I?m guessing they won?t swap out the whole control arm or sway bar but if they do can I ask for say Shelby or gt control arms or are they all the same from factory.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 05:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would be happy about the dealer fixing it for you. I have read, some dealers won't fix it for free. They won't go for upgraded parts and will only use the factory original equipment parts for your Mustang. Let us know how it goes .
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I figured they will only want to install oem parts but I will still give it a try. I know I?m only under powertrain warranty from ford but I do have an aftermarket warranty which so far has been awesome with covering all other costs so I?m thinking they will cover whatever it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I got under the car today and everything looks good. The car only has 38000 miles and everything looks pretty much new just dirty but new. I checked everything to see if anything was loose. Everything was tight nothing bent. No struts leaking. I did stop by the dealer and they said they would have to test drive it and make sure it did the same thing again but as I was pulling in I passed over speed bumps and it did not want to make the sound I guess I went to slow trying to replicate it. So I did not leave it with them thinking it would not do it. Then as i am pulling out it does again. But at this point they had told me they would not be able to get it to it until tommorow so I brought it home. At this point I am thinking its a strut mount.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

There are Threads on this Forum about 'clunking sounds' from the front. Something about the new up-dated part has a 'heat shield' where the old factory original part didn't. Strut mounts going bad are more of a 'popping' sound, but you never know
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
There are Threads on this Forum about 'clunking sounds' from the front. Something about the new up-dated part has a 'heat shield' where the old factory original part didn't. Strut mounts going bad are more of a 'popping' sound, but you never know
Front lower control arms are known to squeak, there's a tsb about it and Ford has redesigned them a half dozen times but not sure any of them were a guaranteed fix. Definitely worth the trip to the dealer though if you've got a warranty that will cover it.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Only time I have heard a similar noise was when a bushing needed greased, or in your case a strut/strut mount was bad. At 38,000 miles though it shouldn't be the case.

On my GT, the BMR vertical link I installed started groaning when going over bumps. It was because after 6-7 months, the bushing needed lubricated. I tested this by spraying WD40 on the bushings (both sides) and the noise has not come back after a couple of weeks of driving.

Another thing that comes to mind is if the Spring isn't sitting correctly on the strut/strut mount, it can cause noise.

Not sure if this is helpful but let us know if your issue turns out to be the same!
Old 02-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post

Not sure if this is helpful but let us know if your issue turns out to be the same!
Heads up- The Instagram link in your profile does not work.
ActorMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have not heard the noise recently. Mostly because I have not gone over any speed bumps. I mean struts all look good no leaks. At the moment all dealers are super backed up in my area and regardless of that I am also busy. Only time I could go in is on a Saturday and I know how that will go. Car will stay at dealership until someone can test drive it then they will call me and say we did not hear anything if it gets worse come back. So for now I will leave it be until I have more time but I will definetly keep everyone posted when the solution is found.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang