Review of AEM intake tube - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
So after owning my aem intake tube for a few months now, I wanted to write up a review since I could not find a single review when I got mine. First of all I want to say it is a great product. Well built and really nice finish. Now I am writing this after having the AEM for a couple thousand miles and quite a few months so the AEM is what feels natural to me and after switching back to stock to really see the difference this is what I have noticed

Aesthetics- as I mentioned before it looks really good way better than the stock one with the ugly muffler. Also powder coat looks identical to the grey painted pockets of the v6 17 inch premium rims.

Sound- there is a louder intake sound when getting on the throttle, it sounds really mean and deep (Can not compare to a CAI since I have never had one). I mean you just want to get on the car just to hear the engine and that loud intake.It also surprisingly changed the exhaust note making it deeper. Not a whole lot but definetly a noticeable difference.

Performance- I have not done enough testing to say it definetly makes a difference in the car but from what I can feel in the car going from one to the other is that the AEM gives the car a bit of an improved throttle response. Also the car feels a whole lot better on the top end. It just pulls hard after about 4k rpm.

Concerns- being that the structure of the intake tube is made out of aluminum I had concerns about the air coming into the engine getting heated due to the aluminum heating up more than the plastic. As of now I have not noticed a decrease in performance even when stopped at a light for a while. Not sure if the air rushes by fast enough where it does not get heated or if it just really is not that big of a deal, but that would be my only concern with the product.

Basically I would recommend the product. Maybe not for what it costs but if you get a deal on it like I did, it?s definetly a good product and it at least cleans up the engine bay a bit.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Double post
Old 02-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Nice write up! How much did you get yours for? It definitely makes the engine bay look cleaner.

The stock intake is not a very pretty piece, but it’s actually the best option performance wise. Those ugly baffles on the side are actually Helmholtz resonators. Wikipedia explains it better than I can, but essentially, those resonators smooth out the pulsations in the airflow caused by the internal combustion process.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018, 05:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hey sorry meant to reply sooner but been busy lately. I got mine for I believe 20 or 30 bucks, not sure exactly how much but somewhere in that range. As for the science behind the oem intake, it is very interesting so I will have to read up on that. I suspect though that it may smooth it out at lower rpm but at higher rpm it really will just hold airflow back. I could be wrong but that is just my hypothesis.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
can you post a link of the AEM tube you are referencing?
Renownedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Sure thing

https://www.aemintakes.com/mobile/pr...od=AEM-22-686C

It’s a bit pricey because it comes with a filter as well. If you’re looking at getting something new the airaid is similar and costs a 100 dollars less

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang