Something new about suspension upgrade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2018, 01:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Something new about suspension upgrade

Hi all

I'm considering about upgrading my suspension from stock to either a set of 1.steeda pro-action w/ Ultralite/ sports spring or Eibach pro kit
OR
2.Koni Orange w/ eibach pro kit

The plan sounds pretty solid until I asked steeda what would they recommend for a mainly hwy and occasional tongue road runner(so I probably don't need coilovers), and Rod answered my question to say that he wouldn't recommend either Ultralite or sport since these springs are designed for GTs and thus would make the front end sits higher than the rear.
I was instantly confused because I've read many posts across different forums and never see this problem pops up. It's quite strange to consider how many ppl have gone with the same set up before me.
Thus here I am looking for answers and possible solutions. I would really appreciate it if I can see some before/after photos.

Have a nice day
BurntToAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I bought the 'Steeda Sports' made for our V6's from Steeda. They cost a little bit more than the 'Sports' made for the GT. I asked Steeda why? They told me it was because of the extra 'engineering' to make the Sports for the V6.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I bought the 'Steeda Sports' made for our V6's from Steeda. They cost a little bit more than the 'Sports' made for the GT. I asked Steeda why? They told me it was because of the extra 'engineering' to make the Sports for the V6.
Would you mind elaborate exactly which spring set did you bought? Perhaps post the link?
Because I went over steeda’s site several times and didn’t find anything such as a ‘v6 specific’ Sport spring...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sounds like crap, they're probably just passing the cost of a lower volume item onto the consumer. Guess i cant blame them, but it just sounds like a half *** answer to make you feel better about it.

We have the Ford Racing P springs (there's P and K, we have whatever the more aggressive one is, i forget) on my wife's V6 and are happy with them. I also wouldn't bother with Koni Orange, they're basically a stock replacement.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

Region: North Carolina
I have and like the Steeda proaction shocks and vogtland springs that are made for v6's. I recommend buying the Steeda heavy duty strut mounts if you install it yourself. The stock mounts come apart too easily.
DANROONEY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANROONEY1 View Post
I have and like the Steeda proaction shocks and vogtland springs that are made for v6's. I recommend buying the Steeda heavy duty strut mounts if you install it yourself. The stock mounts come apart too easily.
Pardon me but I don't know vogtland makes springs specifically for v6 as well. How's the ride? This could be an alternative way to go.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Sounds like crap, they're probably just passing the cost of a lower volume item onto the consumer. Guess i cant blame them, but it just sounds like a half *** answer to make you feel better about it.

We have the Ford Racing P springs (there's P and K, we have whatever the more aggressive one is, i forget) on my wife's V6 and are happy with them. I also wouldn't bother with Koni Orange, they're basically a stock replacement.
Noted.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #8

Region: North Carolina
The vogtland v6 springs are on american muscle and they claim that they are specific to V6. The ride is stiffer than stock but I like it. I haven't been in other lowered mustangs to compare, but I have read that the vogltand springs are leaning to the softer ride side. Someone claimed they are saggy in the rear. There are some threads with spring rates of stock and aftermarkets if that helps. I think you will be happy with them and that it is important that vogtland made springs that account for the lighter v6.
DANROONEY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntToAshes View Post
Would you mind elaborate exactly which spring set did you bought? Perhaps post the link?
Because I went over steeda’s site several times and didn’t find anything such as a ‘v6 specific’ Sport spring...
I can't find them either. They were Steeda 'Sports' made for the 2011-2014 V6 Mustang. I paid something like $239 for them, the GT 'Sports' were $199 . I checked their 'Sport' springs and they say 'not for use on the 2011-2014 V6 because of the lighter front end weight'. Strange
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have Vogtland on mine also, but the site I got them from had the V6 Specific and the GT that were also sold as the V6 Leveling which is what I have on mine, had them on my 2010 also.
I also have the Koni Sport Adjustable Shocks and Struts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020329_zpshcpgimyw.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	253209  
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

We take our recommendations seriously & Rod is one of our best.

We did all the V6 spring testing on Rod's personal 2013 Mustang V6, so you cannot get a better source than him.

We put probably half a dozen springs on it to figure out which one worked best.

We tested them extensively.

Rod is very knowledgable on the subject - Burnt, I see you are working with Rod - you are in good hands.

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntToAshes View Post
Hi all

I'm considering about upgrading my suspension from stock to either a set of 1.steeda pro-action w/ Ultralite/ sports spring or Eibach pro kit
OR
2.Koni Orange w/ eibach pro kit

The plan sounds pretty solid until I asked steeda what would they recommend for a mainly hwy and occasional tongue road runner(so I probably don't need coilovers), and Rod answered my question to say that he wouldn't recommend either Ultralite or sport since these springs are designed for GTs and thus would make the front end sits higher than the rear.
I was instantly confused because I've read many posts across different forums and never see this problem pops up. It's quite strange to consider how many ppl have gone with the same set up before me.
Thus here I am looking for answers and possible solutions. I would really appreciate it if I can see some before/after photos.

Have a nice day
You are in good hands with Rod - he is not trying to steer you in the wrong direction, he will ensure your car handles & rides the way you want it to.

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
We take our recommendations seriously & Rod is one of our best.

We did all the V6 spring testing on Rod's personal 2013 Mustang V6, so you cannot get a better source than him.

We put probably half a dozen springs on it to figure out which one worked best.

We tested them extensively.

Rod is very knowledgable on the subject - Burnt, I see you are working with Rod - you are in good hands.

TJ
Understand I'm not looking to argue, I just want a full picture If you're going to tell me the V6 springs cost more then I expect a full answer.

Does this mean you did not test several springs out on the GT to have them cost less?

I'm an accountant TJ, I know costs have to go somewhere, and if these cost more that's ok. It needs to make business sense to sell an item, but because they needed "extra engineering" still sounds like a weak answer to me.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Perhaps the “extra engineering” part of the equation simply has to do with the cost of making any custom spring — V6 or V8.
When you know you are going to sell 1/2 as many of any item (yet the costs remain the same) you are going to need to amortize your imbedded costs by having to sell the item at a higher cost. I would expect that many more GT owners modify their suspensions than do V6 owners.
They are to be commended for not selling the V8 springs for the V6, and going to the trouble (and cost) to make something that is going to be completely compatible with a lighter front end.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Perhaps the “extra engineering” part of the equation simply has to do with the cost of making any custom spring — V6 or V8.
When you know you are going to sell 1/2 as many of any item (yet the costs remain the same) you are going to need to amortize your imbedded costs by having to sell the item at a higher cost. I would expect that many more GT owners modify their suspensions than do V6 owners.
They are to be commended for not selling the V8 springs for the V6, and going to the trouble (and cost) to make something that is going to be completely compatible with a lighter front end.
This was my thinking also, it cost the same amount to set up the machines whether you are making 1 set or 500 and no telling what the extra cost in the spring steel itself is since it probably different also
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
This was my thinking also, it cost the same amount to set up the machines whether you are making 1 set or 500 and no telling what the extra cost in the spring steel itself is since it probably different also

I'd also be surprised if they do actually make their own springs as well. Not a stab at Steeda, I don't think most places do, they just supply their specs / rates to a manufacturer.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'd also be surprised if they do actually make their own springs as well. Not a stab at Steeda, I don't think most places do, they just supply their specs / rates to a manufacturer.
Actually whether they manufacture them or someone else does (It says they make them in Valdosta GA on their website) it is still has an expense to set up a machine and if they are only making half of what a GT run is they would cost more since they would have to pass the cost on.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have the eibach kit with the front and back sway bars. Mine is the sportline I believe

Sent from my SM-N950U using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

And I like it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #19
GTK

Region: Europe
I can confirm that Vogtlands are great springs. I ran them in my 08 GT with stock dampers but eventually upgraded to Bilsteins, they really are a great damper. I am also on the Corner Ponies FB page and they give Bilsteins a very good rating but not much praise for Koni.
GTK is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang