Mustang Evolution Forum banner

New Car, Matte black restoring

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  oxfordwhite 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! Its been a while since Ive been on here. But I just bought a newer mustang. 2015 Roush model. It has a matte black on the hood but I noticed white spots on the matte. I was wondering, from various opinions, whats a good product to mask or get rid of the spots?

#2 · (Edited)
That depends on what the spots are. I am presuming here that the matte is painted on and not a vinyl appliqué. If they are simply water spots, a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water should take them off with a little bit of elbow grease. Then an application of a product meant for sun and weather protection of matte paint (not all waxes will do well here....)
If they are actually sun-faded spots in the matte, you are probably looking at striping it off and repainting the hood.
I would suggest a visit to a reputable detail shop to see what they say may be done with the spots.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply. Its a vinyl strip, not painted on. I was looking at some Adam's VRT. That seemed to have a good review but not sure if there was anything else.

#5 ·
My Vinyl got stained on mine from Cement powder landing on the car and then it drizzled just enough to wet it but not enough to rinse it off and I just took them off. I tried everything to try and clean them up and nothing works, one the vinyl soaks it in you're pretty much screwed.

#6 ·
I use a product called Stoner Shine Spray. You can purchase it on Amazon. Makes all matte surfaces look like new. Can be used on the matte black plastic items on our cars too that start to get that white looking haze on them. I used to use it on my Harley engines and primary's to keep them looking black. Used it on my Jeep fenders to keep them black. Stuff works magic. :cool:

#7 ·
Awesome, great tip, I'll get some to add to my detailing products :thumb:

#8 ·
Hey oxfordwhite does the mentioned Stoner Shine Spray work on 3M matte black vinyl material with no issues? I have been informed by 3M that the only solution they recommend to clean such material is a solution of water and isopropyl alcohol. On a different note - I went to two local car shows last year and spoke with a rep from Adams and was informed that company makes a detailing product especially for matte finish products, but am concerns with trying such on the 3m matte black vinyl rally stripes on my ride.

#9 ·
^^^ Yes it can be used on any surface. It will not harm plastic,rubber,metal or glass. Can be used on tires to make them black but it is not as good as the stuff they make that is designed for tire shine. Basically just spray the stuff on and leave it. Any over spray on the paint can be easily wiped off with a micro-fiber towel. I use their tire shine and love that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.